• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Where were these books? The only books I could find were textbooks for classes, the Bluejacket's Manual, and the OCR. My Droid saved my sanity during long periods of down time.

I know a lot of people who bought a book, and then passed it around when they were done reading it. I read a couple of books that way. A few books were left at the quarterdeck of Nimitz as well.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
since this is a thread for relatively stupid questions...

should i upgrade to a smartphone before or after ocs...basically, does it help to have access to the internet on your phone in the later stages of ocs?
(im kinda waiting for the iphone 5 to come out before i upgrade)

You should go for the beastly samsung galaxy note with its 5.3" screen. You will basically have a mini tablet that also serves as a phone, and android>iOS. I know my Dell Streak 5" android phone is going to be awesome when Candi-O phase rolls around. If that is too much phone for you, there are plenty of ~4" android phones out there now with a ton of power. I think I would have a hard time using anything smaller after having the streak for a year now though.

natheo

FS SNA, July 8
I would love to have a galaxy note. Those things were blowing up in Korea when I was there, and I saw them everywhere. It's too bad I'm in the middle of my two year blood pact with Verizon.

I'll reiterate what egd33 says however, consider Android.

jleex88

Supply Corps
Hmm...A friend of mine just let me play around with the new Motorola Droid Razer...it's pretty awesome. But I've heard rumors of the new iphone 5 being shockproof, great battery life, + waterproof, + bigger screen. I've seen the Galaxy Note, and dam that thing is huge.
As a candi-o, how much down time do you usually get that warrants having something to do (such as playing with your phone)? I was thinking the smart phone would be helpful to communicate to the other candi-o's during ocs.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
Hmm...A friend of mine just let me play around with the new Motorola Droid Razer...it's pretty awesome. But I've heard rumors of the new iphone 5 being shockproof, great battery life, + waterproof, + bigger screen. I've seen the Galaxy Note, and dam that thing is huge.
As a candi-o, how much down time do you usually get that warrants having something to do (such as playing with your phone)? I was thinking the smart phone would be helpful to communicate to the other candi-o's during ocs.
Get a smart phone! You will have plenty of downtime with the indoc class after the DIs take over. Plus sending out texts (which you will do by the hundreds) is much easier with a smart phone.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
During Candio phase, mass text is the preferred form of message traffic for disseminating info out. I'd hate to be looking at those on a flip phone. AT&T service seemed to be spottier than Verizon there. I won't get into which phone is better, but a Galaxy Note or other similarly stupid huge phone is impractical. You'll be carrying it in a little holster they issue you, probably on your ankle while wearing khakis. Also, a silent switch you can get to without pulling your phone out is golden.

All this is caveat that screwing around on your phone while you're on duty is a terrible idea and a good way to lose your classes' phone privledges. It's a tool. Use it as such and don't be one yourself.

LLLLL

Does Sprint have good service at OCS/down in pensacola? My contract is about to end and I am wondering if i should switch.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Don't base your contract decisions on Newport - nothing has good service at OCS, the building is basically a concrete fall out shelter and there are no cell towers in the immediate vicinity. I dropped about 75% of the calls made around there, and it was the same for everyone else. Pensacola, everything seems to work fine, no real complaints from anyone I know.

Also, Synix is spot on - you won't have down time as a Candio if you are doing things properly. Between liaison, duty, duty relief for chow/med appointments, wet trainer, fire trainer, pass & review practice, grad practice, PT (yea, you still have to PT) and all the other random things that come up, you should be slammed. God help the Candio on their IPhone when GySgt Flyouttatheboodandgetonyourface shows up at 0345 in the morning...

minnow

The reason for not leaving it in your car is that you will get access to the lucky bag room much more often than your car. Anything of value, I would leave in the car though as the lucky bag room is not secure. Things don't get stolen, but the bags will get thrown around to reorganize from time to time and the officer candidates doing it are not always careful.

I'm leaving for OCS soon, and this point brings up a question I have about storing an iPhone. If I pack the phone safely (in case the bag gets shuffled around), is the bag room secure enough? I'd prefer to leave my phone indoors to avoid damage from temperature changes outside, but I'm not sure what the policy is for leaving valuables in the lucky bag. I assume we'll get directions at arrival, but I thought I'd ask beforehand.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Do what your Candios instruct you during check-in. Class teams sometimes have very specific instructions regarding cell phones - certain members of your class will get their before Candio phase due to their class billets. Something like 1/3 of our class had a cell phone by week 4 (Pres, VP, Treasurer, 4 Committee Chairs, I forget what else) and you don't want to have to wait until Saturday for a POV run to get yours if your DI/RDC authorize it on a Monday.

egd33

pilot
Contributor

Check out straight talk...you can buy a sim for $15 to put into any GSM phone and then unlimited everything is $45 a month with no contract. It uses AT&T towers for a fraction of the cost and without the horrible contract. Pick up something like a motorola atrix (dual core android) off craigslist for around 200 and you will save a small fortune over time and still have a really nice phone. This is assuming you are not already currently under contract, but if you are not, do yourself a favor and do not sign up for a new one (I have had straight talk with my streak since last summer and have saved a ridiculous amount of money for service identical to what I had with my old iPhone).

yakboyslim

None
I'm leaving for OCS soon, and this point brings up a question I have about storing an iPhone. If I pack the phone safely (in case the bag gets shuffled around), is the bag room secure enough? I'd prefer to leave my phone indoors to avoid damage from temperature changes outside, but I'm not sure what the policy is for leaving valuables in the lucky bag. I assume we'll get directions at arrival, but I thought I'd ask beforehand.

Store it in your lucky bag. The bags aren't treated like trash (they aren't thrown as punishment or anything like that) they are just moved fairly often and not always with the most care. I would leave a laptop in my car, but a phone, especially wrapped in a shirt or something, will be fine. I would want my phone there in case I got a billet that needed it, etc.

Also, just my 2 cents, you will have plenty of time during candi-o phase to use mobile internet. On watch - absolutely not, but resting in the candi-o lounge for a moment or before you go to bed - certainly. It was nice to have that time to check news, text family, etc. Also my personal opinion, downtime does exist as a candi-o, it just requires an obscene amount of teamwork and coordination to achieve and it is always fleeting and never promised.

Sonog

pilot
When should we tell the significant other when they can visit? Week 9ish liberty, but keep them updated on the progress (in case you get rolled)?

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
If I'm not mistaken you can have visitors on Sundays after RLP, but only for certain hours and you have to stay on the Nimitz Quarterdeck. Liberty is not guaranteed after 9 weeks. You may get it any or all of those last three weeks, you may not get it at all. You, and your significant other, will need to be flexible.