• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

mjv305

ENS SNA
sorry for the bombardment, but trying to get my packing list straight.. When we PT, is there a requirement for the socks that need to be worn?

yakboyslim

None
Depends on how much the class team cares about dumb things like that, but I would say as long as it is something longer than a "no-show" sock you are good to go. Everyone with the long socks you are supposed to have will be folding them down so they all look about the same.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Buy crew socks. Can you get away with ankle high ones or whatever? Maybe. Will a DI use not having the "proper uniform items" as an excuse to destroy you during morning PT? Definitely. I had a DI ask me about an Indoc with the improper socks right before he pounced on him during my Candio phase. Again, its been said here multiple times, don't try to be different at OCS. The rest of the class is wearing crew socks, guess what you should be wearing?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
. Again, its been said here multiple times, don't try to be different at OCS. The rest of the class is wearing crew socks, guess what you should be wearing?

Or, let me proffer a suggestion. Be different, and come let us know how it went after you've graduated :)

mjv305

ENS SNA
crew socks.. got it. would rather not be beaten extra.. now, black or white? And if white, straight white with no heel or toe coloring?

Also, what about getting Dr Schoells inserts for the boots.. is that allowed?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
They'll issue you white crew socks and white briefs. Wear your issued gear.

As for insoles, probably not a problem for boots. If you get a chit for insoles from the doc, you'll be totally covered.

beaverslayer

pilot
They'll issue you white crew socks and white briefs. Wear your issued gear.

Or wear the gear you brought with you, and save the issued gear for RLP. Your call. I personally bought plain white crew socks and tighty whities, wore them throughout the first month and saved my issued gear explicitly for RLP... stamped it, folded it, etc. Then after RLP I started wearing it daily.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Or, let me proffer a suggestion. Be different, and come let us know how it went after you've graduated :)

This is definitely an option, although I'd plan on spending that whole conversation with a large grin on my face...

yakboyslim

None
crew socks.. got it. would rather not be beaten extra.. now, black or white? And if white, straight white with no heel or toe coloring?

Also, what about getting Dr Schoells inserts for the boots.. is that allowed?

White socks. I was worried about toe coloring, but hindsight that might have been nuking things. I don't think anyone got beat for gray heels on their socks, but try for pure white if you can. Also my recommendation is to bring socks and underwear and keep the issued ones for RLP. DI's do not want to inspect used underwear.

Insoles are definitely something you can get and will probably want, but you can pick them up from the NEX or uniform shop once you are able to go. You won't need a chit for them, unless things have changed.

Also, my personal opinion is to buy a few nice pairs of Fox river boot socks. You won't be able to use them at OCS until later in the game (this will depend on class team), but they are significantly better than issued socks and you one of the few things you buy for OCS that you will appreciate afterwards.

mjv305

ENS SNA
got some more. and thank you all very much for the info.

I have some packing lists i have found on the net. All the extra stuff you are not allowed the first day, should i leave that all in my car or should i bring it in the suitcase and leave it in the bag room?

Another..How do i transport all the stuff i am required to bring? Will i be allowed one suitcase for things required and one suitcase for all the extras?

yakboyslim

None
Anything you will need, and can, you should bring in and leave in the lucky bag room. You will sort your things that you can keep out from what you can't on your first day. Everything you can't bring with you will stay in your luggage and everything you can bring with you will go in either a sea bag or a trash bag, I forget which, I think into a garbage bag.

Either way just bring one suitcase.

yakboyslim

None
The reason for not leaving it in your car is that you will get access to the lucky bag room much more often than your car. Anything of value, I would leave in the car though as the lucky bag room is not secure. Things don't get stolen, but the bags will get thrown around to reorganize from time to time and the officer candidates doing it are not always careful.

jleex88

Supply Corps
since this is a thread for relatively stupid questions...

should i upgrade to a smartphone before or after ocs...basically, does it help to have access to the internet on your phone in the later stages of ocs?
(im kinda waiting for the iphone 5 to come out before i upgrade)

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
since this is a thread for relatively stupid questions...

should i upgrade to a smartphone before or after ocs...basically, does it help to have access to the internet on your phone in the later stages of ocs?
(im kinda waiting for the iphone 5 to come out before i upgrade)

There may be periods where you're stuck doing nothing but watching a class for hours as a Candi-O. At that point in time, yes, it could pay dividends to have a phone with internet access. However, you could always go analog, and read a book. There are a ton of books floating around Nimitz that you can read, and though they are usually on the SECNAV's approved reading list, some of them are quite good.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
There may be periods where you're stuck doing nothing but watching a class for hours as a Candi-O. At that point in time, yes, it could pay dividends to have a phone with internet access. However, you could always go analog, and read a book. There are a ton of books floating around Nimitz that you can read, and though they are usually on the SECNAV's approved reading list, some of them are quite good.

Where were these books? The only books I could find were textbooks for classes, the Bluejacket's Manual, and the OCR. My Droid saved my sanity during long periods of down time.