• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Here's one. I'm trying to make it for the April board, and have my sisters wedding in September, and am a best man in my cousins wedding in early October. Does a candidate get any say as to when they go to OCS, or should I wait for another board to ensure I won't have to go during the weddings?

jtmedli

pilot
Here's one. I'm trying to make it for the April board, and have my sisters wedding in September, and am a best man in my cousins wedding in early October. Does a candidate get any say as to when they go to OCS, or should I wait for another board to ensure I won't have to go during the weddings?

You're OR can help you out a little with this. I'm pretty sure they can shift dates a little for you if it's something like that.

beaverslayer

pilot
I know it sucks to hear, but the consensus you'll get here is basically this: get used to missing things (weddings, birthdays, Christmas, etc). This might be the first time you have to miss major events, but it won't be the last. I would not recommend passing up a board to try to game the system--I can almost guarantee you that it won't end well for you if you try. If you want to commission, do whatever it takes and miss whatever you have to miss to get it done.

exNavyOffRec

You're OR can help you out a little with this. I'm pretty sure they can shift dates a little for you if it's something like that.
There is a spot on the front of the application that says "date available for OCS" that needs to be a true date, if not and you are assigned an OCS date that is when you are going, the attitude recently from back east is they take the date and go or they don't go to OCS.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
There is a spot on the front of the application that says "date available for OCS" that needs to be a true date, if not and you are assigned an OCS date that is when you are going, the attitude recently from back east is they take the date and go or they don't go to OCS.

If my package was submitted for the April board, for example, and the wedding is in early October, would putting in that date to be sixth months from then be perceived negatively by the board because I won't enter OCS for that period? I do understand I'm going to have to miss things and I am prepared to do it. I owe it to my family to do everything in my power to make it to her wedding, and if I can't, so be it, but I still need to try.

If I don't get accepted in the April board then none of this will really matter, but I always plan for the best (in this case worse) scenario.

Well. If you are looking INTEL, I have been waiting since August with no date. The upcoming board sounds like a 1.6% selection percentage. If I were you I wouldn't worry. If you get selected you are a blessed man, and if you get selected and a date in or before October, you should go buy a lottery ticket.

exNavyOffRec

If my package was submitted for the April board, for example, and the wedding is in early October, would putting in that date to be sixth months from then be perceived negatively by the board because I won't enter OCS for that period? I do understand I'm going to have to miss things and I am prepared to do it. I owe it to my family to do everything in my power to make it to her wedding, and if I can't, so be it, but I still need to try.

If I don't get accepted in the April board then none of this will really matter, but I always plan for the best (in this case worse) scenario.
Nope, as long as you are still in the FY you would be fine.

exNavyOffRec

Well. If you are looking INTEL, I have been waiting since August with no date. The upcoming board sounds like a 1.6% selection percentage. If I were you I wouldn't worry. If you get selected you are a blessed man, and if you get selected and a date in or before October, you should go buy a lottery ticket.
I believe he was putting in for Pilot which is around 40% selection rate for the current board

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Nope, as long as you are still in the FY you would be fine. I believe he was putting in for Pilot which is around 40% selection rate for the current board

That 1% selection rate scared me for a second, I'll go change my pants now. Thanks NavyOffRec, appreciate the info.

banana380

pilot
And depending on your DI, you may have to 0 buzz as a Candio... Though mine only has one class left for his rotation at OCS, so it probably won't affect anyone on here...

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
And depending on your DI, you may have to 0 buzz as a Candio... Though mine only has one class left for his rotation at OCS, so it probably won't affect anyone on here...

Dear God, that sounds truly horrible. I was so happy to have a "real person" haircut for 8th Week ORLP. Who was your DI?