• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

beaverslayer

pilot
Ok, some more stupid questions for you guys.

1. Is there any way to guesstimate how much time we will have between commissioning and moving down to Pensacola?
2. Is it possible to take leave immediately after commissioning?
3. If you don't have a car at OCS, will the Navy buy you a plane ticket to your next station? I'm assuming they will, but you know what people say about assumptions.

Thanks for the help guys. I had myself convinced that I wouldn't be one of the neurotic people asking a million questions the week before reporting... haha. oh well.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Ok, some more stupid questions for you guys.

1. Is there any way to guesstimate how much time we will have between commissioning and moving down to Pensacola?
2. Is it possible to take leave immediately after commissioning?
3. If you don't have a car at OCS, will the Navy buy you a plane ticket to your next station? I'm assuming they will, but you know what people say about assumptions.

Thanks for the help guys. I had myself convinced that I wouldn't be one of the neurotic people asking a million questions the week before reporting... haha. oh well.

1. By car, 3 days not including grad day. By plane, the next day.
2. Yes, anytime you check in after your appointed time will come out of your leave balance. Just be there by your NLT date.
3. They'll fund you getting a plane ticket. You work with the travel/PSD people towards the end and they get your travel squared away. But seriously, drive. You get more time, per diem, and mileage. I think I got like ~$600.

beaverslayer

pilot
Thanks for the info Synix! I appreciate it.

They'll fund you getting a plane ticket. You work with the travel/PSD people towards the end and they get your travel squared away. But seriously, drive. You get more time, per diem, and mileage. I think I got like ~$600.

I would much prefer to drive, but I'm not sure if I'll own a car at that point or not. USAA is making me go on a red-tape laden scavenger hunt of official documents before they'll give me a loan to buy a car with. Unless there is some kind of miracle and everything gets submitted on Monday, then it looks like I'll be flying to OCS, then flying to P'cola after that and buying a car down there. Not my first choice, but hey, whatever has to happen you know?

Thanks for the info Synix! I appreciate it.

I would much prefer to drive, but I'm not sure if I'll own a car at that point or not. USAA is making me go on a red-tape laden scavenger hunt of official documents before they'll give me a loan to buy a car with. Unless there is some kind of miracle and everything gets submitted on Monday, then it looks like I'll be flying to OCS, then flying to P'cola after that and buying a car down there. Not my first choice, but hey, whatever has to happen you know?
Why not just do the career starter loan? It takes three minutes to apply, everybody qualifies, and the rate is better than anything they offer on the auto loans...

beaverslayer

pilot
Ah, I worded it weirdly. My bad. The career starter loan actually the one I'm applying for. I got approved for it and everything, but my orders don't have a commissioning date on them so I have to get a letter from my CO with a bunch of info on it verifying I am who I claim to be. I spent literally two days trying to contact the admin office at OCS before someone finally picked up the phone and informed me that they couldn't write that letter until I showed up. So I called my recruiter to see if somebody up his chain of command could write it for me, and that's where things have trailed off. He keeps calling around to see what's going on, but still no letter. At this point everything would have to get submitted, approved, signed, and the cash would have to be available in time for me to buy the car, transfer the title, get insurance, and start driving to OCS by Friday at the very latest.

Gus Gorilla

Beaver that's quite the hunt and time-line your on. At this point in the game I think I'd say screw it and fly. Or you could get adventurous and take the Greyhound.

beaverslayer

pilot
Beaver that's quite the hunt and time-line your on. At this point in the game I think I'd say screw it and fly. Or you could get adventurous and take the Greyhound.

Yeah I'm about ready to give up on it. If things aren't looking good on Tuesday I'll buy the plane ticket, but I'm going to give it until then to see if something miraculous happens. I'm going to pass on the Greyhound though. On long trips they are more expensive than flying, take significantly longer, and are freakishly miserable. I did some cross countries on those a few years ago, and that won't ever happen again.

Man this had some gems in it. "Flogging the bishop", "He sharted. Nobody ever saw him again, not even his family", and perhaps my personal favorite, "Is the little mustache required as well?"

Just finished reading from page one. It's funny because every few pages, the socks, skivvies or "what else should I bring" question comes up... I understand why people say search and stuff now.

Anyway, don't feel like I took much away other than, "just show up with a good attitude".

However, one question I never saw addressed was: If you ride along with someone else from say California to Newport, and then again from Newport to Pensacola, does that qualify as driving? Or do you have to bring your own car?

I am in Alaska now, will be traveling and then end up in California before heading to Newport. I might or might not buy a car while down there, but if I elect not to, I might look into riding with someone if it's possible and if anyone would have me. Cross-country roadtrip could be fun. On a side note, I wonder what the travel time from Alaska would be! It's probably a good 2000 miles just from whre I am in AK to the Washington border.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Hmmm... something I hadn't considered. Would you need a watch, i.e. as section leader? I never wear a watch, and wouldn't think to bring one.
Bring a watch with an alarm, set the alarm for 10 minutes prior to DI waking the class up. I brought a cheap ass $20 Timex from Target and I still wear it whenever I'm in a flightsuit.
I have searched the threads about socks and was wondering if the silver toes socks are ok?
Should be fine, was when I went through (2 years ago). Quite a few of the socks I use in my flight boots still have my name stamped on the bottom from OCS.
While we're on the topic of being where your supposed to be on time... The OCS website says check in time is 0900 Sunday. I could have sworn it used to say "before 1200". Am I right or am I losing it?
Your orders are what are legally binding not the OCS website. My entire class except like 3 guys showed up at roughly 1140 and completely screwed up their entire plan for the day. Those 3 guys thought they were going to get some sort of upper hand or some crap by showing up at 0900 and they couldn't have been more wrong. However you absolutely do NOT want to be last... trust me on that one.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
^^ If they showed up at 1140, good on them. They were on time. Why spend more time in Candio fun land. Fuck the Candios if they get their little plan messed up. They shouldve known better than to rush indoc crap. Moving indocs is like herding cats.

Oh, and the car thing above. If you say you're driving, you get perdiem and milage. If you fly, they buy you a ticket to get there. So if you did the drive option and rode with someone to save money, that's just smart.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
^^ If they showed up at 1140, good on them. They were on time. Why spend more time in Candio fun land. Fuck the Candios if they get their little plan messed up. They shouldve known better than to rush indoc crap. Moving indocs is like herding cats.

yea we pretty much planned it that way on here.

the people who show up to OCS early in that window are the ones that are going to give you trouble the entire time you're there simply because they'll never understand the game and thus will be a royal pain in the ass every chance they get. play the game from day one.

yea we pretty much planned it that way on here.

the people who show up to OCS early in that window are the ones that are going to give you trouble the entire time you're there simply because they'll never understand the game and thus will be a royal pain in the ass every chance they get. play the game from day one.

True that. OCS is a miserable experience but not really because of DI's. Some of us had a saying when I was there. The best part of OCS is the people you meet, the worst part of OCS is the people you meet. Some people never did get that the whole thing is just a game. Like rushing the Navy. They didn't realize that OCS is not the Navy, its freakin Shutter Island and the correct response is always Thank you Sir, may I have another.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
True that. OCS is a miserable experience but not really because of DI's. Some of us had a saying when I was there. The best part of OCS is the people you meet, the worst part of OCS is the people you meet. Some people never did get that the whole thing is just a game. Like rushing the Navy. They didn't realize that OCS is not the Navy, its freakin Shutter Island and the correct response is always Thank you Sir, may I have another.

By far the absolute hardest part of OCS past week one was dealing with idiot classmates who never understood the game, always had to place blame on something or someone every time we got beat, and didn't seem to expect that we'd be working out all day long and not just during morning PT. Even after commissioning they never figured out that class "beatings" were planned events for extra class exercise. We even had our class officer hint at this multiple times and they still didn't pick up on it.

And I'd say it was at least half the class that was this way, however we had an abnormally dumb class.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
Ok Ok I got one...

Is there a time within the first week where you're given the required shots? I would guess theres a medical portion of indoc week. You always hear about all of the innoculations recieved before training etc. I had thought this might occur at MEPS, but I was wrong. As OCs I guess there are some we're expected to already have because of college requirements, however things like small pox and anthrax vaccines aren't often received in the civilian world. I only ask because someone brought up small pox at work yesterday and it got me thinking. "Stupid" enough?

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Ok Ok I got one...

Is there a time within the first week where you're given the required shots? I would guess theres a medical portion of indoc week. You always hear about all of the innoculations recieved before training etc. I had thought this might occur at MEPS, but I was wrong. As OCs I guess there are some we're expected to already have because of college requirements, however things like small pox and anthrax vaccines aren't often received in the civilian world. I only ask because someone brought up small pox at work yesterday and it got me thinking. "Stupid" enough?

Yes you will get the shots you are missing according to the military and be immune to everything after that. (Not really, but it is quite a few).