• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
what is the deal with swimming/aquatic training? or rather.. what does that usually consist of?

Swimming is the absolute best part of OCS. It's during the beginning phases and you get to be away from your DI and talk and laugh with the other people in your class.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
I skimmed between the post from Nov-present for this topic, sense that is when the change was. A friend graduated in Nov sometime and said classes after he left, they were not on a one week indoc program anymore. That the class sizes had more than doubled and you were indoc until you secured(3+ weeks)? Also, that they were changing the academia. I am just curious if any one knows any information about this.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I skimmed between the post from Nov-present for this topic, sense that is when the change was. A friend graduated in Nov sometime and said classes after he left, they were not on a one week indoc program anymore. That the class sizes had more than doubled and you were indoc until you secured(3+ weeks)? Also, that they were changing the academia. I am just curious if any one knows any information about this.
I heard something to this effect from an ensign who came through our NRD recently. I didn't really know what everything meant. When I asked if it was harder or easier, he said it was just different.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
I heard something to this effect from an ensign who came through our NRD recently. I didn't really know what everything meant. When I asked if it was harder or easier, he said it was just different.

That has always been the general consensus, that it's different. I think the one thing everyone can count on is the suck remaining no matter what... unless we go to OTS

:icon_eek:

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor

Yeah, my friend basically said its changing a lot.... gouge is useless. I plan on just bring my "War Face"

CashvillePlt

OVER THE LINE!
Yeah, my friend basically said its changing a lot.... gouge is useless. I plan on just bring my "War Face"
Coming from a recent OCS grad (myself), the best gouge for the new program is to just show up in shape, ready to rock. Even during my time at OCS I witnessed countless changes in regulations ranging from uniform regs to when a class is actually considered 'secured'. So yea, the gouge to this point is now useless. Oh, and yes, it still sucks...a lot.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Everything changed for the "way ahead program". I could tell you what it was like a few months ago, but it really doesn't matter as stuff is constantly in flux with the new program. It's not like you really have a choice. I'll echo the advice of those above, come in the best shape of your life, be ready to learn/listen, and know you'll never quit. The class teams do want you to succeed, unless you're a scumbag or something.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
I just graduated from the new "way ahead" program. I was in the first class to go through the new way. Show up in great shape, and know the big 3 and rank structure verbatim ahead of time. Read the info posted on the OTCN website about what you need when you show up. You can ignore the huge list of things you need to show up with that has been floating around on the forums. All you need is the stuff listed on the official OTCN website.

As far as differences go in comparison to the old program, the academics are more intense, you won't spend as much time with your drill instructor drilling, and the indoc phase lasts for 3 weeks instead of 1. You will get a harder and longer indoc session, but once you get to academics they lay off and let you focus on your classes. They are trying to produce more knowledgeable officers with this new program, which is the whole reason they have beefed up the classes. If you can make it through college, the academics shouldn't be a big deal for you. Not sure if it is harder or easier, but "different" is a fair assessment as mentioned above. Be flexible and don't suck. Like always OCS still blows, but it does a pretty good job of separating the people who deserve to be officers from the dirtbags that don't belong. Show up prepared and go with the flow.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
the best gouge for the new program is to just show up in shape, ready to rock. So yea, the gouge to this point is now useless. Oh, and yes, it still sucks...a lot.
+1 best gouge

As far as differences go in comparison to the old program, the academics are more intense, you won't spend as much time with your drill instructor drilling, and the indoc phase lasts for 3 weeks instead of 1. You will get a harder and longer indoc session, but once you get to academics they lay off and let you focus on your classes. They are trying to produce more knowledgeable officers with this new program, which is the whole reason they have beefed up the classes. If you can make it through college, the academics shouldn't be a big deal for you. Not sure if it is harder or easier, but "different" is a fair assessment as mentioned above. Be flexible and don't suck. Like always OCS still blows, but it does a pretty good job of separating the people who deserve to be officers from the dirtbags that don't belong. Show up prepared and go with the flow.

+1 for actually answering my question

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I just graduated as well. Makk85 basically has it all down.

I would say that the academics "can" kick your ass if you're not all there. If you're distracted, not in the game, sick, or otherwise unsure of yourself by that part of training, you may not handle the "firehose" of information they shove down your throat. Make absolutely sure you want to be there. The new program is shifting emphasis more to academics (mostly SWO-oriented, but still very useful/relevant), so show up with your gameface and be ready to handle studying seriously in a stressful environment.

I would differ in saying that YES, the academics are definitely harder. I was in both classes, the last of the old program, and the first of the new. Take it seriously, because they can and will roll you for failing the academics. It's not super-hard, it's just a lot of stuff to take in at once. I did well (93% academic average or so, despite never having ANY technical or engineering background whatsoever).

I'll be honest though, I thought candio-phase sucked the most in some ways.

My experience:

Indoc = being too busy/tired to notice how much it sucks (you'll fall asleep the moment you hit the pillow)
Academics = being overwhelmed 90% of the time (good luck in engineering)
Candio = being afraid to do anything because you might get in trouble (you're held responsible for your actions to a much greater degree)

My Rules for surviving OCS. Worked for me (except I failed RLP... too many times lol):

Rule 1 - Don't fail the PRT
Rule 2 - Don't fail RLP
Rule 3 - Don't fail the exams
Rule 4 - Don't be THAT guy
Rule 5 - Don't do anything stupid

Just my two cents. Your mileage may (will) vary.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Academics = being overwhelmed 90% of the time (good luck in engineering)
Did they actually start to, you know, incorporate engineering into the engineering class? When I went through not too long ago, they just used vague definitions to define stuff and there wasn't a single equation to know.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Did they actually start to, you know, incorporate engineering into the engineering class? When I went through not too long ago, they just used vague definitions to define stuff and there wasn't a single equation to know.

No equations (except for three or so they snuck into the midterm). But we went over valves, fans, ducts, steam cycle (nuke too), diesel engines, turbines, refrigeration, main propulsion, radar, sonar, weapons tracking and guidance, etc...

So they added a whole lot. The course was really messy at first, but they seemed to be quick at trying to fix the problems.

Could anyone who has graduated from OCS lately please verify that this is the current Chain of Command. Most places list 15, but the OTCN website has different versions one with 13 and one with 15. Some are missing Leading Class Officer or Asst. Ops Officer. I just want to make sure I am studying the right gouge.

1. Section Leader
2. Class Chief Petty Officer and Class Drill Instructor
3. Class Officer
4. Leading Class Officer
5. Assistant Operations Officer of Officer Candidate School: LT Downing
6. Operations Officer of Officer Candidate School: CDR Higgins
7. Executive Officer, Officer Training Command Newport: CDR O’Neal
8. Commanding Officer, Officer Training Command Newport: CAPT McBrearty
9. Commander, Naval Service Training Command: RADM Sharpe
10. Commander, Naval Education and Training Command: RADM Kilkenny
11. Chief of Naval Operations: ADM Roughhead
12. Secretary of the Navy: Honorable Mr. Mabus
13. Secretary of Defense: Honorable Mr. Gates
14. Vice-President of the United States: Honorable Mr. Biden
15. President of the United States: Honorable Mr. Obama

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
Could anyone who has graduated from OCS lately please verify that this is the current Chain of Command. Most places list 15, but the OTCN website has different versions one with 13 and one with 15. Some are missing Leading Class Officer or Asst. Ops Officer. I just want to make sure I am studying the right gouge.

1. Section Leader
2. Class Chief Petty Officer and Class Drill Instructor
3. Class Officer
4. Leading Class Officer
5. Assistant Operations Officer of Officer Candidate School: LT Downing
6. Operations Officer of Officer Candidate School: CDR Higgins
7. Executive Officer, Officer Training Command Newport: CDR O’Neal
8. Commanding Officer, Officer Training Command Newport: CAPT McBrearty
9. Commander, Naval Service Training Command: RADM Sharpe
10. Commander, Naval Education and Training Command: RADM Kilkenny
11. Chief of Naval Operations: ADM Roughhead
12. Secretary of the Navy: Honorable Mr. Mabus
13. Secretary of Defense: Honorable Mr. Gates
14. Vice-President of the United States: Honorable Mr. Biden
15. President of the United States: Honorable Mr. Obama

That is all correct except you can remove the leading class officer. There is no more leading class officer.