• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
I have indeed. I always ask my OR before I ask the forums. It can often take many days or weeks to get an answer I am satisfied with.

This is just part and parcel of the OR having a great many people to deal with, and I am sure he is flooded with emails, so it takes him a while to respond with a full explanation.

If I can lighten his load by asking those who have done this before, I try to.

As for the employer in Korea, I have no idea 1) if he is still in business 2) if he is even free (he defrauded the Korean government by a lot of money over a lot of years) and 3) why he would have any reason to even acknowledge I worked for him or provide an accurate assessment of my abilities (I jumped ship on him and moved to Japan after the Korean IRS informed me of his behavior, and I testified that my own payroll documents showed the income tax deduction he apparently was keeping for himself). This is someone I don't want anywhere near a life decision, especially on built on integrity and honor.

skrueger

Hey this question may have been answered but I couldn't find any information on it. During the commissioning ceremony do you get to have family members pin your shoulder boards on? I know it's early but thanks for the info.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
No. However, if you have a family member that is a retired military member, you can have them swear you in.

comawhite

For those with private third party health insurance (blue cross blue shield etc) when did you cancel it and get pick up by the navy medical program? I'm thinking after commissioning in the event something terrible happens and you're forced to drop out.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Are you paying for it on your own or is it through a company? I let mine run out a week or so after I started, but mine was on my own and very expensive. I understand the "cover the bases" attitude, but it's just pissing your money away IMO. You're fully covered under TriCare Prime from the day you start.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
For those with private third party health insurance (blue cross blue shield etc) when did you cancel it and get pick up by the navy medical program? I'm thinking after commissioning in the event something terrible happens and you're forced to drop out.

Unless what happens to you is due to GROSS negligence (and even then...) you'll be fully covered by tricare. And unlike private insurance, you pay nothing. Getting other insurance is asinine.

Getting other insurance is asinine.
I think it's more a matter of keeping coverage in case you aren't able to continue with the military after OCS. My current employer covers 80% of the cost (it was 90% last year...), so monthly premiums will increase from $60.13 to $541.13 if I keep COBRA after I quit.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Unless what happens to you is due to GROSS negligence (and even then...) you'll be fully covered by tricare. And unlike private insurance, you pay nothing. Getting other insurance is asinine.
I disagree. There are many reasons why a servicemember might want to get other health insurance.

mhetzel

My recruiter is telling me to bring only my immunizations to OCS for next sunday. The OCS website says ALL records. Will I be ok if that's the only thing I bring?

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
My recruiter is telling me to bring only my immunizations to OCS for next sunday. The OCS website says ALL records. Will I be ok if that's the only thing I bring?

I'd say go with the website. It can't hurt to be overprepared.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

Bring em all. Either way, it's not the end of the world. If you don't bring a record of something, they'll do it again. Even if you don't have your immunization record.... you're just going to get a hell of a lot of shots you've already gotten.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
It is just the 3rd class swim test: jump off a 15 ft platform, dead mans float for 5 mins, and swim a couple of laps....nothing difficult. If you can't float then remember........shit floats.

The swimming is easy and nothing to worry about at OCS.