• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
To answer the question: the DIs don't search your underwear. As long as it's not visible through PT shorts or summer whites, you are fine. You will buy briefs from the NEX in week one which you will never wear and display for RLP.

RussBow6

regarding the whole inevitably getting sick thing...

is it up to the candidate to check themselves into medical? or do you get med checked every so often and its up to the corpsman whether you can continue training?

RussBow6

To answer the question: the DIs don't search your underwear. As long as it's not visible through PT shorts or summer whites, you are fine. You will buy briefs from the NEX in week one which you will never wear and display for RLP.

how short are we talking on the pt shorts? would those 3" white UA boxerjocks be asking for a beating?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
regarding the whole inevitably getting sick thing...

is it up to the candidate to check themselves into medical? or do you get med checked every so often and its up to the corpman whether you can continue training?

It's up to the candidate to raise his hand and say "I'm sick." There's no HMs lurking around or anything. If you look like you're going to die, a shipmate or a Candio will make sure you get taken care of. That said, once you get there you'll figure out very quickly that you won't be volunteering to goto medical very often. They'll roll you if you go med-down for too long.

Just don't stress about it. I tried to read a lot about OCS before I went and ultimately it didn't help much. The best thing you can do is just show up with a positive, can-do attitude and do your best to remain that way -- especially at times when your shipmates can not.

RussBow6

It's up to the candidate to raise his hand and say "I'm sick." There's no HMs lurking around or anything. If you look like you're going to die, a shipmate or a Candio will make sure you get taken care of. That said, once you get there you'll figure out very quickly that you won't be volunteering to goto medical very often. They'll roll you if you go med-down for too long.

Just don't stress about it. I tried to read a lot about OCS before I went and ultimately it didn't help much. The best thing you can do is just show up with a positive, can-do attitude and do your best to remain that way -- especially at times when your shipmates can not.

good stuff. thanks boss. i'll pack some vitamin c and see how it shakes out

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
To add to the above:

If you need to get basic over-the-counter medication, you can talk to your class's med body and arrange to go pick up a 'cold pack w/ motrin.' In it comes generic Tylenol, prescription strength generic Advil, some generic cough medicine, and generic sport's rub.

If you go to medical with any type of respiratory issue/complaint, you WILL be put SIQ for 3 days and you WILL roll. It's not the end of the world to roll to H for being sick, but it does prolong your stay at OCS for at least another two weeks.

As for vitamin C: you'll have to keep it in your car, since you can't have ANY pills that are not given to you by medical. You'll also be drinking over a pint of OJ every morning, so vitamin C probably won't be an issue.

how short are we talking on the pt shorts? would those 3" white UA boxerjocks be asking for a beating?
The old ones used to be pretty damn short. The new ones are actually fairly normal-length -- they come down to about the top of my knee -- and they have a liner which will result in nut-hugging fun.

RussBow6

The old ones used to be pretty damn short. The new ones are actually fairly normal-length -- they come down to about the top of my knee -- and they have a liner which will result in nut-hugging fun.

ha well at least we'll be supported...
dont suppose we could swing bringing a funnel and having at the pints of oj??

appreciate all the advice on here spek. thanks

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
It's not the end of the world to roll to H for being sick, but it does prolong your stay at OCS for at least another two weeks.

That's bad gouge. It depends on your class number. If you're in an odd numbered class and you roll, it'll be one week. Even is two weeks. Unless, of course, you're really screwed up and then there's no telling how long you'll be in H.

Bah, enough of this crap. Just goto OCS, stay positive, and get it done.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
That's bad gouge. It depends on your class number. If you're in an odd numbered class and you roll, it'll be one week. Even is two weeks. Unless, of course, you're really screwed up and then there's no telling how long you'll be in H.
No, it's not. It depends on where the previous class is in the training cycle. If they are in the middle of, say, moboards, then you will have to roll at least 2 weeks back to begin the class from day 1, even if there is a class that is 1 week behind.

Same thing will happen if you fail two tests in said classes.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
so if you go to H expect 1-2 weeks to class up again :icon_hamm

DaveI

Stupid question:

I have had shin splints and recently started using one of those calf sleeves that the NBA players claim such good things about. It really works wonders and I was able to run a fast 5K while my shins were "splinted" and when I took the brace off they never felt better.

It can be seen here:
http://www.mcdavidusa.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=83&DEPARTMENT_ID=74

Any chance I will be able to use that during OCS? Yea... I said it was a stupid question

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Any chance I will be able to use that during OCS?

Unless you can get the Navy doctors to issue it to you, forget about it. I know a lot of guys who had shin splints in OCS and they had to deal with it the old fashioned way -- ice and stretching.

--edit--

That said, I did bring my own inserts with me. Nobody cared because they were already in my running shoes. You can buy inserts after you check in, but not for a couple weeks.

LET73

There were a handful of people at OCS who had the braces for shin splints (they didn't bring them, but were issued them when their shin splints got really bad). They obviously heard about it a lot from the DIs, but that still beats rolling to H.