• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is the place for stupid questions, right?

Well I got a dumb one for ya.

My Recruiter said that I was heading to Pensacola for OCS. I just looked up on Wikipedia, and it said Navy OCS was re-relocated back to Newport, and has been since 2007! (Weird, considering that I started my journey in 2008; I would hope he would know about that.)

Where am I going? I'm (supposedly) about a month away from being placed in a class, and I would REALLY like to know.

They send you an official document called "orders". It will say Newport. Was this an Officer Recruiter that told you that?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Turtl3 said:
1- How/when is laundry done at OCS? If there's a wet beating in the suya is laundry done that night or....?

2- Are mustaches allowed?

If you are a male, you will be shorn of all visible hair, period. Best to ditch the lip hair prior to reporting.

MasterBates

Turtle,

Show up with the most OUTRAGEOUS stash you can come up with, and tell them you aren't shaving it til CQ.

Let me know how THAT goes.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
You do laundry when you can, meaning after dinner or after taps. I don't think I ever did laundry in the morning or afternoon (generally a little busy).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Turtl, read what OttoWrote says below. It's arguably his best post of his 1821 so far. He would probably say "Don't be me". OCS is all about artificial stress and anything that sets you apart can and will be used against you and your fellow candidates.

This is absolutely key. Because of my rep on AW, I was known by the whole staff before I ever showed up.

For THIS reason and this reason ALONE, I was singled out from about weeks 2-4 REPEATEDLY for crap that everyone else was doing, however the DI magically only saw me doing it. We got beat mercilessly. At times, I was forced repeatedly to stand and watch my class get beat, whether or not I asked to join them. Did the staff have pre-conceived notions about me due to my AW rep? Ya, sure. Had I not been in the class, would they have gotten beaten? Yes, absolutely. There are STILL morons to this day, who i'm sure personally blame me for their beatings and think I'm some shitbag who should never have gotten commissioned.

They are just that: MORONS. If you think that showing up to OCS shitting an anchor and being squared the fuck away is going to get you out of the hazing and beatings, you're just an idiot. There will be PLENTY of times that a person or a group of people will be singled out and blamed for a beating (even by the staff). It's just to see if you single them out later and get angry at them or if you stick together as a team. You would have gotten beaten anyway.

Now I'm sure some of my former classmates are on AW and itching to call me a shitbag, so have at it...

Reactions: Tom

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you are a male, you will be shorn of all visible hair, period. Best to ditch the lip hair prior to reporting.

Or show up like one dude with a mullet and Lynrd Skynrd T shirt.... that dude is an SNA now in P-3 advanced.....:D

Squall

Go Navy, Go Big Red
They send you an official document called "orders". It will say Newport. Was this an Officer Recruiter that told you that?

...I really think it was my officer recruiter, but then again, I would REALLY like to believe that he isn't an idiot, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was my original Enlisted recruiter.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Turtl3 said:
1- How/when is laundry done at OCS? If there's a wet beating in the suya is laundry done that night or....?

2- Are mustaches allowed?

i was informed that this is "mustache march" or something while in the line shack today.

i'm sure OCS follows the same rule. you should show up with a full beard, stick it to the man!

:)

searcher79

BCGs

A stupid question contribution:

So, I have some seriously positive correction in my glasses for my farsighted vision. My BCGs at OCS are going to be massive (I know, I got a pair issued at boot camp). The lenses are going to be thick and heavy and will give me chronic headaches. Also, I kind of look like Christopher Lloyd's character in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?:icon_tong

My question for experienced is: for all the glasses wearers, can they wear their glasses at their leisure (assuming not at least in the beginning)? Can you remove them for PT, etc.? Can I get a custom pair of BCGs?

I watched some of the videos from the first Newport class journal/blog/report. A few of the candidates there had glasses on part of the time, sometimes they didn't. What's the deal?

RussBow6

A stupid question contribution:

So, I have some seriously positive correction in my glasses for my farsighted vision. My BCGs at OCS are going to be massive (I know, I got a pair issued at boot camp). The lenses are going to be thick and heavy and will give me chronic headaches. Also, I kind of look like Christopher Lloyd's character in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?:icon_tong

My question for experienced is: for all the glasses wearers, can they wear their glasses at their leisure (assuming not at least in the beginning)? Can you remove them for PT, etc.? Can I get a custom pair of BCGs?

I watched some of the videos from the first Newport class journal/blog/report. A few of the candidates there had glasses on part of the time, sometimes they didn't. What's the deal?

my guess is wear what they give you whenever you're on base and only when your off base put your own pair back on...

RussBow6

bathroom?

thought about this during my morning routine this morning... when can you go to the bathroom at ocs? i'm pretty sure during a pt and stuff you cant raise your hand and scream permission to go... i guess the best would be to take care of that hopefully before the day starts and then at the end of the day after taps? but when nature calls she calls ya know...

haha i feel awkward even asking but figured this was the place to ask...thanks

brownshoe

Contributor
thought about this during my morning routine this morning... when can you go to the bathroom at ocs? i'm pretty sure during a pt and stuff you cant raise your hand and scream permission to go... i guess the best would be to take care of that hopefully before the day starts and then at the end of the day after taps? but when nature calls she calls ya know...

haha i feel awkward even asking but figured this was the place to ask...thanks

When 'nature calls' doesn't mean squat. You must learn to control your body or deal with the consequences. It's called training. Or at least that's how they explained it to me in boot camp. (could be different in OCS)

I was strolling out to the pits one day when one of our JO's climbed out of his plane and took me aside to tell me he had shit in his pants during the hop. He wanted to let me know so I could warn who ever was going to check gauges during fueling and ride the brakes (he said " it kinda smells, Steve"). I checked the gauges and rode the brakes myself. I also cleaned everything up for the poor guy and never said a word to anyone.

Gee... I wonder if I coulda' raised my hand and been relieved when I was workin' the flight deck during operations? Takin' a wiz over the side was as close as I ever got to a bathroom break while working the deck.:) (I think you get the idea.;):D)

Steve

Tom

pilot
Contributor
It generally varies but in the beginning you have class head calls about 30 minutes after you would normally go. My most vivid memories of indoc week were constantly screaming, running around and being on the verge of pissing myself most of the day. Later in class you get breaks to hit the head. Requesting a head call is the first way to have yourself singled out and have the class get beat. When drilling people in my class would just piss themselves rather than ask.