• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Question for y'all that did OCS during the "winter"...

Are OCS middies authorized to wear working blues out on liberty? I've seen a few around in WB's.

bbennett73

Yes, liberty uniform alternates between working blues in the fall/winter and liberty whites in the spring/summer. I believe the base CO determines the date of the change over.

-BB

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bbennett73 said:
Yes, liberty uniform alternates between working blues in the fall/winter and liberty whites in the spring/summer. I believe the base CO determines the date of the change over.

-BB
To be precise, it's the regional staff, Navy Region NW in your case, and it's fairly standard from year to year.

Brett

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
bbennett73 said:
Yes, liberty uniform alternates between working blues in the fall/winter and liberty whites in the spring/summer.

-BB

Wow... so no SDB's for OCS... interesting to know.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Nobody says you can't wear your SDBs on liberty, but who the hell wants to? The Johnny Cash suit is much cooler!

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Oh, they are not wearing "working blues", they are wearing "winter blues".

Working blues don't have a tie and as a working uniform are not authorized outside work space (i.e. off base). They fall into the same category as coveralls. Winter blues are considered a service uniform and are in the same category as service khakis. Difference is the same between service khakis and working khakis, for example.

For more useful uniform information:
http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/uregMenu.html

BTW: When I went through AOCS (18-90), our working uniform was working khaki (not authorized off base). Our liberty uniforms were summer whites and winter blues. As class officers, we wore service khaki and could wear it off base. We were commissioned in "Full Dress Blues" which is the same as "Service Dress Blues" with medals vice ribbons. Same as the difference between Full Dress Whites and Service Dress Whites (i.e. chokers).

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Ah... then I was taught wrong...

I was under the impression that winter blues were treated like a working uniform... convinience stops only while transiting to and from base. Like you couldn't go to the movies in winter blues... but you could stop and put gas in your vehicle.

I didn't go to OCS, and was only authorized Summer Whites or SDB's on liberty when not in civvies... thought the same would hold true for OCS.

Learn something new everyday.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
TheBubba said:
Ah... then I was taught wrong...

I was under the impression that winter blues were treated like a working uniform... convinience stops only while transiting to and from base. Like you couldn't go to the movies in winter blues... but you could stop and put gas in your vehicle.

I didn't go to OCS, and was only authorized Summer Whites or SDB's on liberty when not in civvies... thought the same would hold true for OCS.

Learn something new everyday.

Correct, working blues = quick stops, winter blues = liberty uniform. The difference is the tie. They are considered a different uniform.

From Chapter One of the regs:
5. COMMUTING

a. General. The prescribing authority may authorize working uniforms, except Navy Blue Coveralls, for commuting to and from work. Commuting is defined as a direct route from place of residence to place of work by means of a private vehicle, to include all travel aboard DOD-owned/controlled aircraft.

b. Authorized Brief Stops. Working Khakis, Utilities, Winter Working Blue, Flight Suits, and Camouflaged Utility uniform may also be worn for brief and appropriate stops off-base during duty hours, or while commuting to and from place of duty, such as: (1) when dropping off/picking up children from daycare centers or school; (2) obtaining gas or other essential driving aids (wiper blades, snow chains, fluids, lights, etc.); (3) picking up/dropping off dry-cleaning; (4) automatic teller machines; (5) picking up vehicles at repair shops or gas stations; (6) at drive-thru windows where exiting the vehicle is not required; (7) at a convenience store or drug store solely for the purchase of emergency childcare or health products (milk, diapers, medicine, etc.); and (8) business conducted in financial institutions.

c. Unauthorized Stops. Sailors are prohibited from wearing the above working uniforms as a liberty uniform off-base or during inappropriate circumstances such as: (1) at restaurants, pizza parlors, bars, lounges, etc.; (2) when dealing with public officials (police, courthouse, attorneys); (3) while attending classes or activities, or conducting business at education facilities; (4) at commercials airports/bus stations for travel or entering pick/drop off passengers; (5) at retail/rental stores, shopping malls, and shops for shopping or paying bills; (6) at grocery stores/supermarkets; and (7) at movie theaters, mini-golf, or other similar entertainment/ recreational or sporting activities.

d. Organizational Clothing. Wear of organizational clothing, except flight suits, brown leather flight jackets, and camouflage uniforms, is not authorized while commuting.

dnweinreb

Super DUPER Hornets!
None
Likewise when we were at OCS the working khakis were not authorized off base. Our liberty uniform was summer whites and we graduated in chokers with medals. Even candios were required to wear whites off base and change out of the service khaki.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Service khakis were authorized off base at OCS as candi-Os, but only when conducting official business. That included almost everything except liberty as far as I was concerned and when I wrote that SOP as RegCom to give to the director I put that in there and he signed off on it. I guess it all depends on when you went through and who was fightin for your right to party.

SM60

Waverider
None
I've been selected for the November 17th OCS class and I read the FAQ that tells you to bring t-shirts, briefs, etc.

My question is is there anything else not listed I should bring? My recruiter suggested a good iron and some clear nail polish (for threads?).

Plus any tips or wisdom? Thanks.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I think there is a nice long thread on this very subject. The search function should put in the right direction.

SM60

Waverider
None
I found the thread your talking about in Marine OCS forum. Is that list going to be the same for Navy OCS?