• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
^^^I went through OCS in R.I. last year and didn't hear anything about that. I don't think they do it anymore since the move.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
No dice since the move to RI, and Abbott's doesn't have any sort of website or anything.

To clarify: Brooks Bros. is the more expensive of the two. Flying Cross is the generic NEX brand. I agree that Brooks Bros. was not worth the premium, but that's because the Flying Cross uniforms fit me better.

nugget61

pilot
yea something like that i think. just take your time, don't let them push you through. IIRC (and don't quote this) i think you only need to get 6 of the 10 correct to pass. this might be wrong, surely someone knows exactly what the pass/fail requirement is.

You need 40 seconds of arc circles or better (less than 40 is better). I think it was 6 or 7 of the lines ( not just 6 or 7 of the ten but rather the first 6 or 7... you can't miss a few in the middle and get the first and last ones to give you a good score, according to my ame )

OUdrumz22

Navy Hopeful
interviews?

So I was just wondering, how many guys get jets?....JUST KIDDING, don't bite :icon_tong

My real question is, when applying for DA or BDCP, whichever one, can/should/would it help if a civilian got an interview(s) with an officer? I realize this is a standard for previous enlisted applicants, but I wasn't sure if this was something a civilian could do or even if it would help.

I searched, promise, so hopefully this isn't posted elsewhere. Thanks guys and gals!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So I was just wondering, how many guys get jets?....JUST KIDDING, don't bite :icon_tong

My real question is, when applying for DA or BDCP, whichever one, can/should/would it help if a civilian got an interview(s) with an officer? I realize this is a standard for previous enlisted applicants, but I wasn't sure if this was something a civilian could do or even if it would help.

I searched, promise, so hopefully this isn't posted elsewhere. Thanks guys and gals!

LORs are most useful from folks who really KNOW you. So don't go to some random senator/O-6/high-ranking-dude who doesn't know you.

Better to go find a high school teacher, preacher, rabbi, or former employer who knows you well and can write something special about you.

OUdrumz22

Navy Hopeful
This I'm aware of, and I think I got some pretty good ones from people like those you mentioned. I was more referring to the interviews that enlisted guys are required(?) to have for their application. I believe they get a rating up to 10 based on the interview. Can a civilian get one of these interviews or is it strictly an enlisted thing?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This I'm aware of, and I think I got some pretty good ones from people like those you mentioned. I was more referring to the interviews that enlisted guys are required(?) to have for their application. I believe they get a rating up to 10 based on the interview. Can a civilian get one of these interviews or is it strictly an enlisted thing?

Talk to your recruiter and ask if he can put you in contact with an officer/aviator who can interview you. A recruiter worth his salt will be able to set this up.

blarged

ready

I had LORs from people I know real well personally/professionally.

I also had an interview with an IWO that my recruiter arranged which I got one of the "out of 10" recommendations from.

Just as Otto stated, the best letters will come from people who can write about you personally. I'm sure the board has read enough letters to tell which ones are genuine. But it won't hurt to have extra letters from Officers in your community of interest.

Go Horns

My OR (NRD Dallas) said that officer interviews are not required but if you do manage to get one, it only enhances your package. I got one from an 0-6 in the reserves to submit with my package to counter my low GPA. If you're in Norman, I would call up the NAS/JRB in Fort Worth. Their Ops O was nice and helpful and tried to set up some interviews with aviators for me.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
OUDrumz,

Just tell them you went to OU and you should be fine. Also, don't be gay.

Seriously though, I got an interview with the Navy ROTC XO (A-6 guy) and I'm a commissioned officer now. Granted, I was in OU Navy ROTC for 2 years and knew the staff for the most part.

The interview is a helper but it is not what is going to get you accepted or denied for a pilot/nfo slot. Hope that helps.

OUdrumz22

Navy Hopeful
Thanks for the advice guys. As of now, I'm home in Louisiana for the summer but very close to Ft. Worth. I'll see what I can drum up there. When I get back to Norman I'll take your advice OUSOONER. BTW, congrats on the commission and Boomer Sooner!