• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Meyerkord

pilot
Also, is it true that your degree is only considered STEM if you’ve taken two semesters of calculus and calculus based physics?

My degree is a B.S. in computer information systems, I’ve taken the two semesters of calculus but have two semesters of biology for my hard science (dumb), would I need to take physics to be considered STEM?

Sorry, should’ve rolled this into my other post. I’d ask an OR but I’m too far out.
I also have a B.S. in Computer Information Systems and I would definitely say it counts as STEM. I've never heard of a rigid guideline that you need calc or calc-based physics to be considered STEM.

Tacticalhusky

I also have a B.S. in Computer Information Systems and I would definitely say it counts as STEM. I've never heard of a rigid guideline that you need calc or calc-based physics to be considered STEM.
Definitely correct, I have not heard this either. However, there are designators that required certain classes to have been taken (ie Oceano requires a physics class)

Meatman4000

Definitely correct, I have not heard this either. However, there are designators that required certain classes to have been taken (ie Oceano requires a physics class)

Thanks to both of you for the clarification, was just going off some old reply from NavyOffRec and wanted to double check.

JoJoGoHard

PRO-REC Y IW (18100) 20DEC13
Also, is it true that your degree is only considered STEM if you’ve taken two semesters of calculus and calculus based physics?

My degree is a B.S. in computer information systems, I’ve taken the two semesters of calculus but have two semesters of biology for my hard science (dumb), would I need to take physics to be considered STEM?

Sorry, should’ve rolled this into my other post. I’d ask an OR but I’m too far out.
CIS (Computer Information Systems) is considered a STEM degree by all accounts within the Navy. I never took calculus/calculus based physics for my CIS degree and it is documented within my Officer Service Record under the STEM category. The calculus based courses with a B or better grade help your cause, but does not determine between STEM or Non-STEM by Naval standards.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Acsantosus

I was reading the “First salute” discussion and it’s been dead for 2 years now so I figured I’d reach out for updated information from a recent OCS graduate. Are Silver dollars still a thing at the first salute and is this something you should bring with you when you report?

FinkUFreaky

pilot
I was reading the “First salute” discussion and it’s been dead for 2 years now so I figured I’d reach out for updated information from a recent OCS graduate. Are Silver dollars still a thing at the first salute and is this something you should bring with you when you report?
Unless it's changed, you will have an opportunity to do a class buy near the end. A lot of people won't even know about the tradition before they show up.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
Unless it's changed, you will have an opportunity to do a class buy near the end. A lot of people won't even know about the tradition before they show up.

Unfortunately it’s dead, when I was there in 2018, I participated with a graduate performing this time honored tradition outside the gym on our own. It’s not a thing anymore unless you want to do it after the ceremony.??⚓️

Meyerkord

pilot
Silver dollars aren’t really a thing anymore due to gift-giving rules. But first salutes are still very much alive and well. After the ceremony you’ll see a lot of people doing first salutes in front of the flags with their class chiefs, drill instructors, or family members

Acsantosus

I guess I will just bring a few of my own in the event that my classmates don’t want to order any. I found a few 1920 Morgan’s and Eisenhower Centennials. Not sure what would be more appropriate.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Yeah bring some. It's tradition that shouldn't die due to... 2020 BS. Sadly the Navy is losing a lot of it... No more bottle bets for CQ, for on-wings, etc. Not hazing in any sense; it's showing appreciation for someone helping you through something (your DI/chief at OCS, onwing in primary, LSO in CQ, etc).

None of those things have ever been REQUIRED (which could maybe be considered forced gift giving). But the good candidates/studs will find a way to do it.

Acsantosus

Yeah bring some. It's tradition that shouldn't die due to... 2020 BS. Sadly the Navy is losing a lot of it... No more bottle bets for CQ, for on-wings, etc. Not hazing in any sense; it's showing appreciation for someone helping you through something (your DI/chief at OCS, onwing in primary, LSO in CQ, etc).

None of those things have ever been REQUIRED (which could maybe be considered forced gift giving). But the good candidates/studs will find a way to do it.
I agree. Tradition is something we are losing, sadly it has a lot to do with people abusing the tradition/ taking it to extremes. I was one of the last guys to be able to drink/ tack on my fish back in 2012.

Kevin Derouen

I have seen multiple posts about the medical forms DD 2807 1/2 and DD 2808. I have seen some say that if you send them to the fleet processor they will get them stamped to be valid for a year or two. My question is how do I send them to the fleet processor? Is there an email or mailing address I should use? Planning on doing my medical this month, but not submitting until June. I just want to make sure I get this step completed peoperly. Thank you in advanced.