• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Meyerkord

pilot
I'm curious, during the indoc phase is there any classroom type instruction on the stuff in Appendix B?
Do the RDIs at least start to beat it into you, or is it completely to your own accord?
It's basically all on your own. You get some time to study at night and on the weekends once you get rolling. Also take advantage of week 1 before you meet the staff on Friday. There's a lot of down time waiting for appointments and medical shit, so it's a great time to study. Have the candios quiz you if you want. They're there to help you.

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
I think that the issued shoes are New Balance 940s, 860s, and 880s with maybe one or two more I missed. I don't think the issued shoes should be a problem so long as you know what you need stability wise and which are which.

I think that the issued shoes are New Balance 940s, 860s, and 880s with maybe one or two more I missed. I don't think the issued shoes should be a problem so long as you know what you need stability wise and which are which.

So yes you do get issued shoes. HOWEVER I would recommend bringing your own pair of running shoes for 2 reasons. 1) The shoes suck and you might be able to use your own shoes if you are not sized correctly. 2) They have run out in the past of certain sizes or types for people and they had to resort to using the only walking shoes they brought. It does not hurt to bring your own shoes. During Candio phase you can wear them after evening chow.

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
So yes you do get issued shoes. HOWEVER I would recommend bringing your own pair of running shoes for 2 reasons. 1) The shoes suck and you might be able to use your own shoes if you are not sized correctly. 2) They have run out in the past of certain sizes or types for people and they had to resort to using the only walking shoes they brought. It does not hurt to bring your own shoes. During Candio phase you can wear them after evening chow.

I was planning on bringing my runners anyways, but do the shoes really suck that bad? I looked up some of the types guys said they had and they seemed decent enough.

jakd

pilot
On the shoe thing, I found mine weren’t bad. What a lot of people struggled with was not taking the time on day 1 to size them right. The candios would much rather you take the time to get it right and not have to come back to get another pair than get through the shoe fitting station ASAP. I believe ballistics might even be secured on check in Sunday now just to cut down on all the errors that need to be fixed later. I knew a guy who somehow ended up in a size 6 shoe even though his feet were size 9, he said he was too scared to speak up. That being said, some people do end up needing a special order, so definitely show up in a running shoe.

You will need a chit to wear insoles in the running shoes, but those are easy to get and they have a pretty good insole selection at the nex.

Another thing is show up in shape!!! More than 25% of people showing up are failing the IST! PFA days are like the easiest PT you’ll get at OCS, so train for well above sat medium. People in my class actually didn’t think of it as a normal pt day. Arriving ready to go has been beat to death on air warriors, but last I heard H class had to take over some candio rooms because it was so big.

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
On the shoe thing, I found mine weren’t bad. What a lot of people struggled with was not taking the time on day 1 to size them right. The candios would much rather you take the time to get it right and not have to come back to get another pair than get through the shoe fitting station ASAP. I believe ballistics might even be secured on check in Sunday now just to cut down on all the errors that need to be fixed later. I knew a guy who somehow ended up in a size 6 shoe even though his feet were size 9, he said he was too scared to speak up. That being said, some people do end up needing a special order, so definitely show up in a running shoe.

You will need a chit to wear insoles in the running shoes, but those are easy to get and they have a pretty good insole selection at the nex.

Another thing is show up in shape!!! More than 25% of people showing up are failing the IST! PFA days are like the easiest PT you’ll get at OCS, so train for well above sat medium. People in my class actually didn’t think of it as a normal pt day. Arriving ready to go has been beat to death on air warriors, but last I heard H class had to take over some candio rooms because it was so big.

Can't believe a quarter of candidates can't pass the IST! What's going on that candidates come that unprepared!?!?