• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
What are the rules about having cameras in the cockpit anyways?

Varies a bit by squadron, but it's usually something along the lines of "brief the use of a camera, nothing classified, and don't let it interfere with the mission." Put another way, it's usually big boy rules- just be smart about it and don't ruin a good thing for everyone else.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
That happened a while ago for the most part.........I'm guessing the last pure Charlie JG was at least a year ago, and is prob a LT now. But yes, those who were new enough went back through the FRS, those who were long in the tooth enough either suffered through bad orders and paper to early shore tours, or got farmed out to other squadrons for the rest of their "JO tour"s.
Like me. My tour hasn't been traditional, but I got to do some pretty cool stuff that most people don't get to do.

Maxillarious

pilot
My personal favorite was the P-8, tumbleweed and co-altitude flying through my strike holding stack (don't worry, we'll just deviate and delay an 18-plane event for them), blatantly refusing to comply with instructions to move for safety of flight... and then 2 weeks later getting shot down by the OPFOR they were supposed to be locating for the CSG. :rolleyes:

#karmaisabitch

The blatant disregard for 3710 wasn't as egregious as I remember from my last set of workups... but yeah. C2X sucks in general- nobody goes out there thinking "this will be awesome!". Yet somehow the higher-ups were really pleased with the whole thing. ?

That's crazy...back in my day if someone blasted through the holding stack they would be getting their papers pulled and probably would never be signing for a plane again.

You guys need to push back on the 3710 thing...the only time anyone should consider deviating from from NATOPS is real world stuff going down or troops in contact and even then there better be a damn good reason for it. Easier said than done I know when there is pressure (perceived or real) coming from above but that kind of stuff is how people end up getting killed in accidents. If that kind of stuff is going on, the front office is hanging you guys out to dry and someone from the wardroom is going to be the one paying the ultiumate price for it.

Getting a shitty FITREP for calling someone out for their bullshit is worth it to keep everyone safe out there. Being a yes man and nodding your head when bad ideas are being floated around won't get you anywhere but a cheap EP rank that Millington has showed in the past isn't worth the paper it's written on anyway.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Haha, it's not really a great story...just interesting. My first squadron got decommissioned, so in that final year I got to go to China Lake and Point Mugu to use those old airplanes to do some testing with characters like @sevenhelmet. I also got invited to go TAD to another Charlie squadron for workups and was eventually asked to stay. They cut me orders and I got to be a part of the 2017 CVW-8 cruise....saw a lot of cool stuff, even knew a guy that shot down a plane. Fast forward another year and said Charlie squadron executes an extremely painful Super Hornet transition. Flying was scarce so I whored myself out and got hooked up with some other characters at this two-seat rhino squadron with crusty "super JO" named @MIDNJAC. Ended up doing Air Wing and C2X with those guys....so in essence I've been in three different squadrons across two platforms, done two work up cycles, and an epic cruise. Definitely not a traditional JO tour, and I ended up not getting FRS orders due to FITREP timing because of the split tour. Flown almost 800 hours in gray jets so far, spent a lot of time at sea, and wouldn't trade any of it. In fact, I'm practically begging BUPERs to just let me keep going but they've not been very supportive.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
That's crazy...back in my day if someone blasted through the holding stack they would be getting their papers pulled and probably would never be signing for a plane again.

You guys need to push back on the 3710 thing...the only time anyone should consider deviating from from NATOPS is real world stuff going down or troops in contact and even then there better be a damn good reason for it. Easier said than done I know when there is pressure (perceived or real) coming from above but that kind of stuff is how people end up getting killed in accidents. If that kind of stuff is going on, the front office is hanging you guys out to dry and someone from the wardroom is going to be the one paying the ultiumate price for it.

Getting a shitty FITREP for calling someone out for their bullshit is worth it to keep everyone safe out there. Being a yes man and nodding your head when bad ideas are being floated around won't get you anywhere but a cheap EP rank that Millington has showed in the past isn't worth the paper it's written on anyway.

Completely agree with all you are saying. Though it does happen, I don't think that the bigger problem is junior folks being "yes men" and being afraid to call out bad ideas from senior officers. The problem is that our senior leadership doesn't listen when we do. Me personally, I have no reason to nod my head and smile in any scenario.....I already quit, and my separation date is approved. Happy to be O4 FITREP fodder for the rest of my active days.

Last edited:

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Having you around made the terrible just a little bit less terrible SB. Glad we had you brother. Also Meg is one of my favorite humans, and anything that makes his life horrible makes me grumpy too. The fact that we didn't have a class A is a testament to the professionalism of all the JO's out there with us, and every Admiral involved with it should be fired.

Care to elaborate on these miserable C2Xs?

Huffs09

None
VT-4 and VT-10. Or were you wondering if there's anyone specifically on the forum flying there currently?

VT-4 doesn't fly the T-6... or anything at all for that matter. It's a simulator only squadron for training P-8/E-6/E-2/EP-3 NFOs.

The USAF does fly T-6s out of NASP along with VT-10.

You're correct. According to CNATRAINST 1542.162A (3 Dec 15), SNFOs get 4 day contact flights, and 1 night contact flight and 1 day contact check ride (6 total front seat). Then the rest (10 flights) are in the back as INavs/VNavs/Aero.

Actually sir, to be totally correct, the night contact is flown with the SNFO in the back seat, so there are really only a total of 5 flights with the SNFO in the front.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I know this is for stupid aviation questions, but I’ll force the fit...

Saw a picture about USNA “selection night” Happy future ensign picks a ship...21329
How does this work, especially for other than SWO types? Does a sharp middie get to grab a card that says Flight School/VFA-25? Do future Marines get to go for a card that reads “Corps/Infantry/2nd Marine Regiment? Also, do the colors have any meaning? (You can pick a red ship, but not a white one).

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
This is more of a USNA thing....at least it did not happen in ROTC. Our unit had each person walk in and click their choice on the computer...once that choice was gone it wasn't available for the next person and it was all ROTC units picking at the same time. Order was based on GPA.

Obviously dudes can't pick a fighter squadron out of the Academy, they haven't even been to flight school.

No idea what the colors mean.