• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TACAIR guys. Do you fly with 2 knee boards? I've heard of guys doing it, but I feel that 2 kneeboards would be in the way more than it would help. But, I am a lowly T45 Stud, so if future platforms (or missions) necessitate going dual kneeboard, I'd rather get used to it now.
No.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
TACAIR guys. Do you fly with 2 knee boards? I've heard of guys doing it, but I feel that 2 kneeboards would be in the way more than it would help. But, I am a lowly T45 Stud, so if future platforms (or missions) necessitate going dual kneeboard, I'd rather get used to it now.

I don't personally, but some guys do for CAS and it's probably not a bad idea - I'd usually stash products I wasn't currently using in my helmet bag or outside the defog handle, but I could see it being slightly more convenient to have it firmly attached to your left leg, especially at night. That said, I wouldn't worry about getting used to it now. You'd look ridiculous with 2 kneeboards in a T-45.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Okay brace yourself for retardery, but how do pilots and or NFOs get selected to go to the airshow? :D :rolleyes:

Honestly, VAQ-129 gets random requests all the time to provide jets for air shows. They're great for knocking out FAM flights over a weekend. Fly-overs are the ones that you have to know somebody to get picked for. I'm still trying to work one of those...

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Honestly, VAQ-129 gets random requests all the time to provide jets for air shows. They're great for knocking out FAM flights over a weekend. Fly-overs are the ones that you have to know somebody to get picked for. I'm still trying to work one of those...

Wish the best of luck to you Gonzo :D

GroundPounder

That's why, as an EWO, I'll make sure my pilot is a professional and not an idiot...

Since this the stupid question thread, and admittedly a stupid question..

Let's say that a flyover is scheduled, and the pilot goes too low and too fast. Assuming he made the choice to willfully go lower/ faster, does the WSO suffer any consequence?

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Since this the stupid question thread, and admittedly a stupid question..

Let's say that a flyover is scheduled, and the pilot goes too low and too fast. Assuming he made the choice to willfully go lower/ faster, does the WSO suffer any consequence?

That's a valid question based on my snarkey reply. I've never participated in a FNAEB/FNFOEB, but I'm fairly certain we would both end up at one, and that the details would come out there. I'd hope that if cockpit recordings were available and I said, "hey we probably shouldn't be doing this," that I'd come out alright on the backside. There are probably other members here who have had more experience with the process though.

See below for the famous "Nope!" video we see almost annually at our CRM training that encompasses my thoughts. Unfortunately I don't know what happened to the pilot smart enough to speak up.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I don't personally, but some guys do for CAS and it's probably not a bad idea - I'd usually stash products I wasn't currently using in my helmet bag or outside the defog handle, but I could see it being slightly more convenient to have it firmly attached to your left leg, especially at night. That said, I wouldn't worry about getting used to it now. You'd look ridiculous with 2 kneeboards in a T-45.

Can you even fit two kneeboards in the clown jet?! The dude (or chick) who does should get a NAM.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's the current status of flying with tablets in the Fleet? Last I heard (a few years ago), the VX's were experimenting with "electronic kneeboards" (iPad Minis with a kneeboard strap) and NAVAIR was about to sign off on it, with some provisos/restrictions.