• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah nukes and their all white stuff:
suitnuclear.jpg

Interesting: "The white Anti-Flash MA2 Integrated Torso Harness, developed in 1961 for Tactical Nuclear missions together with other additional white-color pieces of equipment, and the very first prototype of the Fire Resistant, Non-Melting type Flight Suit, the HT-1, issued in 1962. This suit might have been used as an Anti-flash garment too, but the main reason of the shiny-white color is simple: at the time the DuPont Company, producer of the new HT-1 material (and later Nomex), was unable to dye it properly without loosing the non-flammable properties."

Pretty cool that the flight suit design hasn't changed much at all in 50 years. I didn't realize the 'pocket pool' zippers were on the original, I thought they were an addition to the hideous flight suits you and I got issued when we started API.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty cool that the flight suit design hasn't changed much at all in 50 years. I didn't realize the 'pocket pool' zippers were on the original, I thought they were an addition to the hideous flight suits you and I got issued when we started API.

I heard a rumor at the time that some AF general had the idea that flight suits should return to their original purpose of coveralls (i.e., worn over clothes) - those zippers were so you could access your trouser pockets. I don't know if I believe that particular explanation, but changing milspecs on anything is a hassle and a half, so there has to have been some reason (even a dumb one).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard a rumor at the time that some AF general had the idea that flight suits should return to their original purpose of coveralls (i.e., worn over clothes) - those zippers were so you could access your trouser pockets. I don't know if I believe that particular explanation, but changing milspecs on anything is a hassle and a half, so there has to have been some reason (even a dumb one).

I have heard that too and ran into one guy who insisted it was true and pointed the finger at General McPeak, the moron who also introduced the airline uniform to the USAF. The next CSAF promptly dumped it. The guy who blamed McPeak had a buddy that was on his staff at the time and he apparently wanted a flight suit he could wear over his blues and get to the pockets, hence the zippers on the side that served absolutely no purpose. I actually buy the explanation that it was supposed to fit over the blues, they were oddly cut and too big in the middle and the timing was right to blame McPeak. I despised those pieces of junk but my first squadron wouldn't exchange them for me, I had to resort to buying an 'old' style one that I wore almost exclusively until I got to my second squadron. I still have the 4 I was issued, anyone want them?

McPeak is still so widely despised in the USAF he is one of two or three folks they refuse to refer by name at our light blue counterpart forum. He apparently was the archetype of the arrogant fighter pilot and thought everyone else in the service were second-class citizens.

170px-Gen_Merrill_McPeak_1993.jpg

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I have heard that too and ran into one guy who insisted it was true and pointed the finger at General McPeak, the moron who also introduced the airline uniform to the USAF. The next CSAF promptly dumped it. The guy who blamed McPeak had a buddy that was on his staff at the time and he apparently wanted a flight suit he could wear over his blues and get to the pockets, hence the zippers on the side that served absolutely no purpose. I actually buy the explanation that it was supposed to fit over the blues, they were oddly cut and too big in the middle and the timing was right to blame McPeak. I despised those pieces of junk but my first squadron wouldn't exchange them for me, I had to resort to buying an 'old' style one that I wore almost exclusively until I got to my second squadron. I still have the 4 I was issued, anyone want them?

McPeak is still so widely despised in the USAF he is one of two or three folks they refuse to refer by name at our light blue counterpart forum. He apparently was the archetype of the arrogant fighter pilot and thought everyone else in the service were second-class citizens.

170px-Gen_Merrill_McPeak_1993.jpg

Even all of their fighter pilots hate this guy. I've only heard my old man call him, "He who shall never be named".

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even all of their fighter pilots hate this guy. I've only heard my old man call him, "He who shall never be named".

Yup, him and Fogelsong are both not refered to by name by several folks in light blue I know.

highside7r

None
Rolled into Roswell Intl (ROW) for a quick gas-n-go and the place was swarmed by TW-6 Texans, mx crews said it was a standard det. A change of scenery?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rolled into Roswell Intl (ROW) for a quick gas-n-go and the place was swarmed by TW-6 Texans, mx crews said it was a standard det. A change of scenery?
Really? My whole time in TW-6, it was almost impossible to get ANY DET SNFO training money out of CNATRA. But if it was for SNAs, they were all about breaking out the checkbook. We had to beg and plead to get enough money to do a 2-week det during Blues Homecoming...BTW, the cost was equivalent to a SNA 1-week Weaps det to El Centro.

BlackAce

VT-9 Trying to sick less everyday...trying

TW-5 is currently on det at roswell cycling students and IPs through every few weeks for contacts, aero, and forms. Trying to take advantage of the weather being better than Whiting. Well at least when the winds cooperate.

speedroller

Rangers
Wasn't sure where to ask this. Is age an issue in naval aviation? I just turned 26, awaiting my FINSEL for ocs. Got pro y as sna, is there a limiting age for any type of airframe? I'll probably be 28 by the time I'm done with flight school.
Thanks

speedroller

Rangers
Commission prior to 27...waiverable to 29 with prior service.
Correct, I got that part. But more in terms of, are there any "hidden" age restrictions. I had a colleague of mine say that his son, applied Air Force also 26, went through flight school, finished but got rerouted for something else because he was "too old". I don't really buy it but made me curious.