• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Top_Gun_1_0_1

Some Questions for F/A-18 pilots about flight controls

when i see hornets T/off and land, the ailerons are drooped down, is this automatic when you set flaps to full? and is the aileron controls rendered useles and stabilator takes charge of rolling the aircraft while ailerons are drooped down ?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
In flaps half/full, yes the ailerons droop to nearly match the TEF's. There are certain regimes of flight where the ailerons are faded out, but they are operative in approach mode, in spite of being drooped.

Top_Gun_1_0_1

thanks, ...
also another question, do you guys use plenty of rudder inputs when you aproach for landing on a carrier or you just use the stick w/out pedals because fly-by-wire enables the stick to move the rudders?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
No rudder for landing at the boat. Might use rudder at the field depending on the cross wind but thats about it. Only other time we really would use rudder is if we lost an engine or in a slow speed high AOA BFM engagement.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Starting a new thread to help w/ the clutter and thread drifts. ....and go...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Is every trap de-briefed or just quals.
ACTUALLY ... every single PASS is debriefed: all of 'em ... the good, the bad, and the ugly ... day/night .... ship/shore .... hook down ... hook up ... WO ... WOFD ... each & every one.

Believe it.

yak52driver

Contributor
ACTUALLY ... every single PASS is debriefed: all of 'em ... the good, the bad, and the ugly ... day/night .... ship/shore .... hook down ... hook up ... WO ... WOFD ... each & every one.

Believe it.

Wave Off / Wave Off Fouled Deck ?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Wave Off / Wave Off Fouled Deck ?
Sure ... the WO happened for a reason and is frequently pilot-induced, and a WOFD might have been self-induced to a degree ... NEI/SIG, for example. You don't see it often, but it's there ...

PLUS ... there's generally not a BOAT pass you fly that you can't learn SOMETHING from ... so if needed, a debrief might be appropriate even though the pass was aborted somewhere in the groove for reasons other than the pass itself.

And if you do trend sheets/trend analysis for your Aviators (and a good LSO always does at the end of every line period), there's lots of keys and 'trends' that might be hidden in WO/WOFD's, just like any other pass.

Wickle

Do you have to be good in Math and Physics to become a Marine Pilot? I am a little worried because those are my two weakest subjects...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Do you have to be good in Math and Physics to become a Marine Pilot? I am a little worried because those are my two weakest subjects...

Neither are required for pilot slots in Navy/USMC. My roommates are Devil Dog pilots and are music, criminal justice, and polisci majors. I'm an Electrical Engineer and it's done me jack squat save for knowing too much about electrical system diagrams and having good study skills.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Not to worry ... the only 'REAL' book requirement to become a Marine Aviator is to be conversant on the subjects presented (?) in the Reader's Digest (a.k.a. The Marine Corps bible) and to have a lifetime subscription to said publication ...

Wickle

Hahahhaa thanks guys. Gave me a alot of relief and a chuckle.

I have one last question to ask...if Math, Physics, or "book knowledge" aren't really required, what are some reasons trainees fail/wash out of flight training?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hahahhaa thanks guys. Gave me a alot of relief and a chuckle.

I have one last question to ask...if Math, Physics, or "book knowledge" aren't really required, what are some reasons trainees fail/wash out of flight training?

Because they prove to not be aerodynamically suitable. (is that a word?!)