• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Hopefully this question isn't too "stupid" haha:

What would you guys say is the split between the various flying communities in the navy? E-2 vs Helo vs Hornet etc.

Someone asked me this today and I had no clue. My guess would be something like:
35% Helo
35% Fighter
15% P-8
15% E-2

I smell a unique way of asking "what percent get jets" :)

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I remember seeing a document a few years ago that broke down every marine by mos as well as stuff like age, sex, commissioning source and other things, but my googlefu is weak. The navy may have something similar.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
NavyOffRec posted a pretty large piece to the puzzle, at least on the Navy side, about a year ago. I'd start there. Otherwise, "what percent get...?" questions are generally ignored at this point.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do we really only have 8 legacy Hornet squadrons remaining? Wow, that happened fast. Presumably, those folks are first in line for the JSF transition?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Do we really only have 8 legacy Hornet squadrons remaining? Wow, that happened fast. Presumably, those folks are first in line for the JSF transition?
5 on the east coast. Last two on west coast transition to Supers when they get home.

Python

pilot
Contributor

No. There's talk of SH squadrons transitioning amongst the first.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That chart is imperfect, but I thought it might scratch the "percentage" itch.

That chart was done by some company called 'Naval Graphics' and is not official. Someone (Navy League or US Naval Institute?) used to put out an almost identical chart for all the ships of the Navy (just like this same company recently did) but I haven't seen a recent version.