• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

81montedriver

pilot
In Hercs: PF puts the power levers in the takeoff detent and releases brakes, PM calls "power set" when our glass display shows takeoff horsepower, yoke transfer at the briefed yoke transfer speed: "My yoke", "your yoke", and "rotate" at rotation speed.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
calvinchecklist.jpg

MiracleWhip

What usually happens to Marine Aviators after their first tour? Is it true you can no longer fly and have to do ground duties? The only platform I heard that have pilots continue to fly after their tour is the KC-130J..

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
What usually happens to Marine Aviators after their first tour? Is it true you can no longer fly and have to do ground duties? The only platform I heard that have pilots continue to fly after their tour is the KC-130J..

Not true. Generally speaking, you do your first tour, go off and attend EWS or be a FAC for about a year, and then go back to the fleet. Other options include the training command, the FRS, MAWTS-1, or some other type gig. Once you make major, you pretty much alternate flying tours (department head, command, group staff, etc) with non-flying tours (MEF staff, HQMC, etc). This is generally true for all communities.

Either way, even when you are on a flying tour, you'll still be doing "ground duties". Otherwise known as "leading Marines".

Feet Wet

If you are a young MV-22 pilot you can stay in the cockpit as long as you want, so long as you are worth something to someone.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I know I've seen this topic hidden in somewhere either in this thread or one of the others. I did a search and nothing came up.

So I was walking around Corpus today and saluted a winged aviator (LT) on the way into an office, both of us in flight suits, and it sounded like he said something like "that's not really necessary".

I know there's no saluting in a lot of situations, but aren't we supposed to salute each other outside of the flight line?

And also, has it been settled that studs are supposed to dip their covers yet? Like wearing brown shoes and all that? Seems like a lot of the guys here at TW4 don't do it, except for some priors.

Thanks.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
So I was walking around Corpus today and saluted a winged aviator (LT) on the way into an office, both of us in flight suits, and it sounded like he said something like "that's not really necessary". I know there's no saluting in a lot of situations, but aren't we supposed to salute each other outside of the flight line?

And also, has it been settled that studs are supposed to dip their covers yet? Like wearing brown shoes and all that? Seems like a lot of the guys here at TW4 don't do it, except for some priors.

Thanks.

Were you at the Flight Deck? Might have been a Coastie LT or maybe a prior NFO LT transition (a few floating around). Either way, throw it up for Winged LT+. That's just courtesy. Get more relaxed on a case by case basis, only when told. If you see a winged JG, probably a newly minted multi engine dude from 31/35. Use discretion there.

Brown shoes/brown boots/dip/morale patches? Do we need to do this again? I do all in respect for our history. Never gotten grief once from anyone above an O-1.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Brown shoes/brown boots/dip/morale patches? Do we need to do this again? I do all in respect for our history. Never gotten grief once from anyone above an O-1.

Yeah I'm not meaning to start up a debate, just wondering why people aren't doing it. I don't think anyone is being told "to" do it, therefore they don't. One theory anyway. It doesn't matter. I'm doing it unless told otherwise.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
He may also have been a "new" IP. When you first get there, you loathe all the saluting and the "sirs." It's not that way in the fleet and "you're going to change the world..." Then you just become numb to it and roll with it. Plus you don't want to set the wrong standard for when that stud meets the "wrong" IP who crosses streets to get saluted. Studs don't have their spidey senses tuned yet to figure out who they have to play the game with and who don't. At least not initially. Many catch on. Some still don't get it in the fleet.

Sonog

pilot
I was watching a carrier show on the military channel the other day and they were covering operations on a carrier. At one point they had to halt all launches and landings because a spring was misplaced from a piece of gear. So they had to stop everything until they found it and every crew member available "combed" the deck. How often does something like this happen on the carrier?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Every time there is a known FOD hazard? It only take a 50 cent spring to FOD out a $7 Million dollar F414 engine. Or so the Safety Center posters tell me everywhere around the squadron.