• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

MasterBates

Our "AFCS" has an attitude or altitude hold. It'll hold the wings level and hold altitude, but no "flight director" qualities. It's strictly a "hold this shit level while I take a leak".

There is a FLAT TURN mode, which has you spin a knob and it turns the plane with rudder only, holding the wings level and leaving you to guess about AOA. (AOA gets blanked out by nose)

81montedriver

pilot
Do you guys use the flight director for the OEI miss? I fly the "Q-400" and it has gobs of power and a OEI missed approach is a non-event if you are already singled up...However, if you go missed AEI and loose it right as you are pushing the power up it can be REALLY sporty! We only have the autofeather on for T/O and initial climb and then it stays off the remainder of the flight. No one has adequately explained why that is the procedure, but there it is! Anyway, if you bag an engine under these conditions you have 5071shp on one side trying to roll you over...So, FULL rudder to kill the nose drift....BUT we have roll spoilers and small ailerons...So, have to be cautious with using too much aileron/roll spoiler input...Pitch for V2 attitude and call for memory items...

Not sure how it is in the Q-400, but in the Herc, the mission computer will autofeather certain engines and leave others windmilling depending on certain criteria. Engines 1 and 4 will feather anytime the FADECs detect autofeather criteria. Below 15,500 ft with all other engines running, 2 and 3 will autofeather after a 2 second delay. Above 15,500ft or with another engine shutdown, 2 and 3 will windmill.

Before I lose anyone, the reason behind this is to maintain everything run by the gear mounted accessory drive, most importantly hydraulics and generators. So if the Q-400 has hydraulics and generators run by the spinning props, then it would make sense to only have the autofeather function on during takeoff and initial climb when you could potentially have a V1 cut and have to minimize the most drag. For the rest of the flight, if you lost an engine, with all that power, you would have no issues cruising and descending single engine, plus you would keep your hydraulics and generators running w/ the windmilling prop.

MasterBates

Don't know about the Q.. But a Hawkeye is not going to fly for shit with one working and one windmilling. This happened (the most recent time with the NP2K) about a year ago. It did not end well.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I wish we had the J model motors and props. Every herc driver I've talked to made it sound like they Marine-proofed the prop malfunction EPs.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Our "AFCS" has an attitude or altitude hold. It'll hold the wings level and hold altitude, but no "flight director" qualities. It's strictly a "hold this shit level while I take a leak".

There is a FLAT TURN mode, which has you spin a knob and it turns the plane with rudder only, holding the wings level and leaving you to guess about AOA. (AOA gets blanked out by nose)

Didn't they just do some big improvement program on your aircraft? What kind of stone-age crap is that? "Flat turn?" Really? What kind of analog BS automation are they giving you? Why not just throw you into an approach turn stall while they're at it?

81montedriver

pilot
I wish we had the J model motors and props. Every herc driver I've talked to made it sound like they Marine-proofed the prop malfunction EPs.

Yeh usually it's just 2 steps. Pull the T-handle and move the engine Start Switch to Stop. The crew chief takes care of the rest!

MasterBates

My squadron has the oldest E-2s' currently in the fleet, but the HE2Ks are no different. From what I've seen the E-2D has the same "OttoPilot".

The Flat Turn is to make a rudder only turn to keep the dome level for the wizards to do their wizard stuff.

But yeah.. Complete BS that a $120M+ aircraft has as shitty of a cockpit (and prop system, not the same as the Herks) as the E-2 does. The COD has nice NAV stuff.

highside7r

None
Didn't see a thread in the Marine section, but trying to figure out the adding of single seat Hornets to VMFA(AW) squadrons and vice versa, just saw a picture showing VMFA-232 with two "D" airframes assigned while on an OEF deployment. Would WSO's also be added to the squadron and how different would the training matrix be compared to a full (AW) squadron. Or is this just an low hour airframe issue?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Didn't see a thread in the Marine section, but trying to figure out the adding of single seat Hornets to VMFA(AW) squadrons and vice versa, just saw a picture showing VMFA-232 with two "D" airframes assigned while on an OEF deployment. Would WSO's also be added to the squadron and how different would the training matrix be compared to a full (AW) squadron. Or is this just an low hour airframe issue?
Those were ATARS jets sent to augment 232 in OEF.

Back stateside, occasionally squadrons will have a majority of their jets getting mod'd so they might borrow jets from another squadron from time to time until they get all of their jets back. Hornet pilots get qualed for the F/A-18 A-D in the RAG so it doesn't matter if an A+/C squadron borrows a D or a D squadron borrows an A+/C.

S/F

Grove

Sorry if this question has been asked but I cant seem to find an answer. How long does a typical Marine Aviator can expect to fly for (in terms of years and rank) before the military no longer allows?

KBayDog

Hornet pilots get qualed for the F/A-18 A-D in the RAG so it doesn't matter if an A+/C squadron borrows a D or a D squadron borrows an A+/C.

Learned something new today.

(Shall I tempt fate and try to learn two new things on this Friday morning? Sure, what the hell. Even if I don't, I'll break even...which will feel like "ahead" for a standard day.)

How hard is it to jump between series aircraft (of the non-orange and white variety)? Are the Hornets pretty similar, or is there a lot of extra prep time required to go from, say, an A+ to a D?

Coota0

None
On older jets like the F-4, that used the bridle system to launch the aircraft, what happened to the bridle after launch?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
On older jets like the F-4, that used the bridle system to launch the aircraft, what happened to the bridle after launch?

The bridle had a retrieval system where it was arrested at the end of the cat stroke, then automatically returned to the launch station to be used for hookup & launch of the next (same type) A/C from that cat. Due to stress/wear limits...each bridle was life-limited to 100 launches. Prior to it's 100th shot, the bridle retrieval mechanism was disconnected and as the A/C became airborne, the bridle dropped from the cat hooks into Davy's locker.

*There are so many jettisoned bombs, steel bomb pallets, & launch bridles (& airframes) at the bottom of the Tonkin Gulf/ Yankee Station, that it's rumored to have become the new "magnetic north"!
BzB