• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Studying Abroad and GPA

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
Apologies if this has already been addressed; I couldn't find much after searching.

I'm going to be a junior in college next year and I've signed up to spend my entire junior year abroad. I'm having second thoughts because my current GPA is exactly a 3.0, which is not really where I want to be for OCS (especially since I'm a non-tech major). I'm retaking classes right now at summer school to increase my GPA by a few points, and either way I'll have my senior year to work on it more, but none of the classes I'm taking abroad during my junior year will affect my GPA.

So my question is, does the Navy look at/take into account foreign transcripts from study abroad? I would imagine not since I've read about candidates with foreign degrees having trouble, but some information on this would help me figure out whether I should go ahead and study abroad for a year or try to cancel it (which at this point would probably be expensive since it's late in the process and some fees are non-refundable).

Thanks a lot.

Swoop90

I was in your shoes about a year ago. Applied for SWO with a 3.1, got my PRO REC, and ended up graduating with a 3.3 GPA in a non-tech degree. I know none of that information answers any of your questions, but I hope it alleviates some of your concern. Will a higher GPA help? Absolutely. There is simply no guarantee.

speeddypat

None
I would definitely say do the study abroad! I spent a year in Europe and if most colleges are like UCSD, all of those classes were just a part of my normal transcript so you shouldn't have to worry about having a separate, foreign degree. Besides having an awesome time wherever you go, it could help you in the application process by making you a more worldly person, absolutely no evidence to that just my opinion. I think you'd regret it one day if you don't end up doing it, and who knows, maybe the classes will be easier anyway.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
GPA of a 3.0 is fine for aviation. Biggest factor will be your ASTB score. With a 3.0 non tech major plus a 50/6/6/6 ASTB score or better you should be okay.

Caesium

Thanks everyone for your replies; I'll probably go ahead with the study abroad.

Another question about study abroad; I have dual citizenship with an EU country (I understand that I'll have to renounce it eventually) and therefore have the right to work in the country I'm going to be studying in (France). Will it raise any questions from a security clearance standpoint if I work a part time job while in France?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
....Will it raise any questions from a security clearance standpoint if I work a part time job while in France?

Unless you work for the government or one that has some sort of security implications (working on the production line of the Rafale fighter) or for some shady foreigner then it probably won't be a big deal. Just make notes on who you work for, where it is (address) and other pertinent details a background investigator might ask.

Caesium

Yeah I was just planning on working at a McDonald's in Paris so I reckon I'll be alright :p

Thanks all.

kayteedee

Unless you work for the government or one that has some sort of security implications (working on the production line of the Rafale fighter) or for some shady foreigner then it probably won't be a big deal. Just make notes on who you work for, where it is (address) and other pertinent details a background investigator might ask.

Yep. I studied abroad in Ireland and worked while I was over there as part of my program. Don't know if it's any different if you actually make money (I just interned), but the FBI investigator just wanted to know the basics. It wasn't an issue at all.

Josh Berto

It's interesting to hear people worried about semesters abroad. I did my entire degree in Australia and from what I've heard they will just convert my GPA from the British standard to the Murikan standard. It's definitely a pain if you want to go military but if anything, studying abroad is a good experience and the review board should look favorably upon that kind of international experience. In regards to a clearance, make good friends abroad that will give you a reference; perfect opportunity to go for beers with the boys. Play a sport and meet with your coaches and professors personally. If not for the resume, at least do it to have a good time and gain some perspective.

Caesium

I did my entire degree in Australia and from what I've heard they will just convert my GPA from the British standard to the Murikan standard.

Yup, I have read about that being the case for people with foreign degrees, but I'm getting an American degree with foreign credits on it that will appear as pass/fail credits on my American transcript. The college I'll be studying at will also give me a transcript for my time there (with real, albeit French, grades) but my totally uneducated guess is that they'll just take the American transcript at face value and ignore the foreign transcript.