• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Study ahead for primary?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless you come here to Vance with us...then just memorize everything verbatim (including punctuation, capitalization, and the little dashes they might leave out between a word and its definition)

Yep - great example of AF silliness (you could down an EP quiz in T-1 ground school for writing 'and' vice '&'). Navy EP's do need to be memorized verbatim, though usually we're not so uptight about it.

No, what I meant was some info you need to know exactly (EP's, preflight limits, course rules), some other info not so much, and it's impossible for a new student to know which is which until you start, or get a good source of gouge. And you don't want to waste time memorizing stuff you don't need to...it takes away time from the things you do need to memorize.

NB for type-A motards who are thinking, "no, I'll memorize everything! Then I'm SURE to get jets!"...no. Unless you're some photo-memory freak of nature - and then your airwork will probably trip you up - you're wasting time that you just don't have.

STA21pilot

I'm actually still in VT-6 finishing up FORMS, I'd want to study too... here ya go.

Go by book issue in the Academic Building, they won't care, just come in a flight suit telling you are classing up...uh eventually/soon. You may need to know what squadron, can't remember, not a big. Get your crap. Read the systems book, great for getting the overall pic. You'll start out in that with systems and it will just make EP's easier to understand. I had my EP's down and after systems you have to have them memorized for initial EP test and CPT's (cockpit trainers), it would be easier to not have to worry about that crap when everyone else is and just focus on other stuff like deciphering the FWOP. Obviously everyone else who cares will be able to keep up, but if you land an on-wing like I did and you have to know WAY more about EVERYTHING then you'll feel prepared cuz you aren't spending all your time on the basics.

They give you a pre-flight gouge packet, take it to the pre-flight bird and figure it out. Find all the stuff, learn where it is, if you know systems also it will start clicking. There's some stuff that is in the plane not in the gouge that you might get asked (Blind Cockpit Altimeter Encoder / Front Cockpit), (What's the color of X fluid? What is the range of Oil P & T and when with relation to N1 is it accurate?). I get asked random stuff from all IP's even the check rides, and why not, it's fair game. I hear about guys forgetting all kinds of random crap when it's just not in the forefront. So the best you can commit it to memory the better.

If you still want stuff to look at, your EP exam in ground school will be EP's and Ch. 4 of NATOPS. It's short, sweet, boring, and fair game forever.

Dear Lord, if you still want things to look at after all that just say the word and I'll give you even more crap to learn.

Oh, and...

DUMP
SUCK
POINT
FEATHER
LOOK
LOCK

POWER-UP
SPOOL-UP
PULL-UP
POWER
FLAPS
TRIM
TURM
TALK

CREW
CANOPY
CORDS
MASK
HARNESS
CROUCH
DIVE
PULL then
if time and A/C controllability permit
SLOWER
LOWER
SQUAWK
TALK
SECURE &
TURN

sundevil_av8r

pilot
Always, ALWAYS, have VHF set to receive.

yeah, until this happens...

Form IP: "are you ready?"
Stud: "yes sir."
Form IP: "hey knucklehead, do you have the VHF receive on?"

Pause....

Form IP: "do you have that on because you were trying to listen in on us?"
Stud: "no sir."

if you haven't done forms yet, his original transmission was not over the ICS but rather the VHF... to the other IP.

red_ryder

None
Naw, dude, naw... Relax and enjoy yourself while you still can. What you could do though, is get yourself an AIM, and put that sucker on the back of your toilet. Flip that sucker open to a random page when you have some time to kill and learn yourself a few things, now that's good gouge.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
What is the current T-34 NATOPS/PCL??? I have a 2000 version on .pdf, but I don't know if it's current...(although the T-34 probably hasn't changed THAT much)...

Tom

pilot
Contributor
What is the current T-34 NATOPS/PCL??? I have a 2000 version on .pdf, but I don't know if it's current...(although the T-34 probably hasn't changed THAT much)...
When I was in primary there were two NATOPS and PCL changes.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
yeah, until this happens...

Form IP: "are you ready?"
Form IP: "hey knucklehead, do you have the VHF receive on?"

Pause....

Form IP: "do you have that on because you were trying to listen in on us?"
Stud: "no sir."

if you haven't done forms yet, his original transmission was not over the ICS but rather the VHF... to the other IP.

You definitely just got a below on headwork.

Didn't anyone tell you about volume differentials? You put your VHF and UHF radios at different volumes so you can automatically tell who you're listening to based on volume. This will also help you from making the dreaded switchology mistake of making a victor call on uniform and vice versa.

Few things make you feel more retarded than making a stellar call only to hear "FREQ!" or worse, another IP responding back as "ATC". :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

As Tom mentioned, quite a bit changed. There have been two Class A mishaps that have both resulted in some rewrites since then (both from VT-6, as it happens) as well as another mishap that FINALLY rewrote the streaming fuel EP. I also can't swear to it, but I think the checklist was rewritten because it seems a hell of a lot more logical now than it did as a stud.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Or when the SDO clears you to taxi...

Or when everybody and their dog recites the next ten steps of the procedure you accidentally started on your radio call, followed by the coup-de-grace radio call "and hey, good procedures..."

(Been known to happen during night practice autorotations at South Whiting, heheh)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I also can't swear to it, but I think the checklist was rewritten because it seems a hell of a lot more logical now than it did as a stud.

Do you ever wish you could go back to high school knowing what you know now??? :icon_smil

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
As Tom mentioned, quite a bit changed. There have been two Class A mishaps that have both resulted in some rewrites since then (both from VT-6, as it happens) as well as another mishap that FINALLY rewrote the streaming fuel EP.

Do you mean the one that kinda says "Don't use anything electrical or you will blow up in mid-air"???

hornsfan

happy to be here
pilot
...as well as another mishap that FINALLY rewrote the streaming fuel EP. I also can't swear to it, but I think the checklist was rewritten because it seems a hell of a lot more logical now than it did as a stud.

Glad to hear that one got changed. My primary on-wing did the investigation and suggested the re-write. I always thought killing power to the landing gear indicators was asking for trouble.