• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Study ahead for primary?

Benson

Just took last test in API on Friday... I don't have any real material (obviously) for primary, except for the EP's that I could pull of marinegouge.com and some systems info. Should I just read through those, or what could i do to start studying for primary?

No, i am not burned out from API, and i don't feel like i need a break...

Thanks in advance for any help...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Short answer: no.

Long answer: You can try and learn ahead, but you won't know what any of the stuff means so it'll just be words. Wait until you hit systems and actually start learning what's going on before you get to EPs.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
There is plenty of time built in for you to get the EPs and any system knowledge in. Go to the beach, have fun, and enjoy your time off.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
I studied ahead and it helped. I wouldn't go balls deep into everything but I would study one or two EPs a day and get it verbatim to include notes/warnings/cautions. All it takes is ten minutes a day and it will help a lot during the initial part of flight school and cut down your studying. If you don't know what something is when you are doing an EP, look it up, you will have all the pubs and the shit isn't rocket science.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Slower
Lower
Squawk
Talk
Turn off
Turn away (towards Flour Bluff)

Turn
Climb
Clean
Check
Determine
Deliver
Descend (or Reduce)
Lower

Speed
clean
check
feather
look
lock
Airstart
Bailout
Shutdown
Mayday

I haven't flown that plane in 4 years...please make it stop!!!

KBayDog

I studied ahead and it helped. I wouldn't go balls deep into everything but I would study one or two EPs a day and get it verbatim to include notes/warnings/cautions. All it takes is ten minutes a day and it will help a lot during the initial part of flight school and cut down your studying. If you don't know what something is when you are doing an EP, look it up, you will have all the pubs and the shit isn't rocket science.

Good call. I did the same thing - I had a little break between API and Primary. I browsed the pubs (just to get a quick feel for them), but spent probably about 30-60 minutes a day memorizing a handful of EPs and limits. No, I had no clue what most of the stuff meant, but the memorization piece was taken care of. And no, the 30-60 minutes a day did not take away from enjoying any time off. By all means, enjoy the free time you will never again have...but don't be afraid to do a little work in the meantime.

BTW, between Primary and Advanced, I did the same thing...but it was easier because then I knew "how" the Navy expected me to learn the material.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Problem with studying ahead in any phase is knowing what you need to stone-cold memorize, what you need to be familiar with, and what you need to be vaguely aware is somewhere in NATOPS. There's a lot of extraneous crap in the FTI's and NATOPS. I wasted a good week learning all the boldface while waiting to start the E-2 RAG - cuz if there's one thing everybody definitely needs to memorize, it's EP boldface, right? - only to learn upon class-up that FO's only need to know some of them.

So, what I'm getting at is: find someone who's actually in Primary, preferably someone about to finish, in the VT you're going to (not all VT's are created equal), and get the gouge. Find out what you're expected to know, then learn it.

Also, what works best for learning something for a written test may not be what works best for learning something so you can recall it in the plane with some asshole in the back yelling at you. Refine your study techniques accordingly.

torpedo0126

Problem with studying ahead in any phase is knowing what you need to stone-cold memorize, what you need to be familiar with, and what you need to be vaguely aware is somewhere in NATOPS.

Unless you come here to Vance with us...then just memorize everything verbatim (including punctuation, capitalization, and the little dashes they might leave out between a word and its definition)