• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Student Loan Payment

Birdman

If you become an officer, is there some sort of student loan remibursement or assistance program?

Sabre170

None
I believe they still have one for the medical and legal fields... check with your recruiter.

Rouster

Birdman1,

If you find anything out, please post it here. I, too, am interested in this as well.

Thanks.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I have asked my recruiter a while ago (I'm in BDCP) and he said there was nothing established.

jpm269

pilot
Slightly off topic, but if you have a student loan through American Eduaction Services and you meet the criteria, they are currently offering a $2500 loan forgiveness for being in the military. If you have any questions PM me.

Chubby

Harrier Dude said:
When I graduated college you could get a 2 year deferment for joining the military. Time stops, no interest.
Don't think they offer that anymore. I tried but all they would let me get away with was a forbearance. No penalty for not repaying the loan; however, interest continues to accrue.

jmiller82

I am currently with a loan guarantor company (Nelnet) that services Federal Student loans.. I believe there is a program that they have in place for those entering into military service, teaching, and the medical field where they will reduce the balance of the loan (I believe it is by half). I know this is for certain for the company servicing my Perkins loan, but I will check for sure with Nelnet.. Check with you loan servicing company to see the details. Some may require a minimum term served in the military and/or a copy of orders.
I do know for sure, that my company also allows me to defer for two years if in the military. Also, the USAA loan ($25K I believe) could assist you (especially at such a low rate) in paying off or down those high balances..