• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Stuck at OTCN, disqualified from aviation and forced to go SWO or to DOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
You could spend 4 years as a SWO thinking about what you could be doing in the real world and then just go do it. It would be challenging to spend 4 years in the real world thinking about what you could be doing as a SWO and then try to get back to where you are now.

There’s also the small chance that you’re one of those sick, sick people who likes it.

LET73

First, sorry to hear you're losing what you really wanted. It's a gut punch, and now you have to make a decision on short notice on top of that. That said, think honestly about how you're going to approach this. It's fine and understandable to be disappointed, but if you're going to be bitter about going SWO from the start, do your potential future shipmates a favor and find something else. On the other hand, you've got a chance to spend a relatively short proportion of your life (four years) doing things that most people will never get to experience. It may not be what you wanted, but you can still get plenty out of it while knowing there's an end point.

Rockriver

pilot
Here's an idea...

1. Accept the commission. Embrace being a shoe. Enjoy being in the "real Navy". Never tell anyone that you really wanted to be a "flyboy". Say things like "I don't have a problem with pilots getting flight pay - it's their base pay I have an issue with", or "Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot." Work hard, kick butt, have people thinking you're future CNO material. Know that when people in the future ask if you are a veteran, you won't have to answer "Yeah, but..."

2. Save some money. A lot of money.

3. When your commitment is up (and your old OCS aviator buddies still have a few years remaining on theirs) begin your civilian aviation career at the bottom. Live off your savings and get your basic ratings as quickly as is feasible. Work yourself into a job where somebody else pays for your flight time. Understand that you will be poor for a few years, but you were already poor as a SWO because you were stashing away half your money.

4. Acquire enough flight experience to get hired at The Show, just about the time your old OCS aviator buddies are finishing their commitments.

azguy

None
Being a SWO isn't for everyone- some personality types are much better suited for it than others. I've had my share of bad days at the office over the last decade, but overall I've absolutely loved this ride. (I think this sentiment can be applied to most jobs). As someone else hinted at, if you decide to take the commission, re-cage yourself and your attitude; if you go in bitter it'll make those 4 years much, much more difficult for you.

Not going to lie, you'll work your ass off until you get the SWO pin. It's somewhat equivalent to if we expected pilots to go through flight school while also working a ground job.

There’s also the small chance that you’re one of those sick, sick people who likes it.

This. I, and just about every SWO ever, was dead-set on getting out at 4-yrs at some point. In many ways, the job keeps getting better as you move up.

If you decide to get out - you'll leave as a LT making six figures w/ 4-yrs of great work experience for a company in 2-3 different leadership positions, with a lot of unique stories. Bottom line, you'll be marketable.

If you want to lat-transfer to NSW/EOD, double your workout regimen, build a solid reputation as a DIVO, and apply for the lat-transfer. I have a friend who proudly wears his SWO pin under the SEAL trident.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Lots of good prospectives here, I’ll offer another.

You want to be a pilot- Do you have a source of funding available to you that will allow you to quickly transition post DOR and start/continue flight training via the civilian route? If so, get started on that path ASAP.

If not, go SWO at least for the intermediate years to have a decent paycheck and benefits and maybe some rewarding/cool experiences while you get GI bill eligibility so you can transition to the civilian aviation path funded.

I’ve got a buddy who did his initial commitment on the Marine Ground side of things, went to an aviation college for an associates degree in aviation whatever using the GI bill to pay his flight training and got picked up by Delta Air Lines new Propel program (his prior military experience set him apart from other college applicants) and has job at Delta waiting at the end of a 3 year stint at a regional.

If you don’t have something else lined up you can go SWO for a tour. Worst case is you find you don’t like it, don’t get your pin and get a no load shore tour before you get out with your GI bill. You may end up transitioning to another community that interests you or fall in love with it and become a skipper of a gray boat one day.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the Bob open to applicants/candidates? Can’t remember. Might be a second opinion for the OP if so.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Even as a SWO, I don't think I've meet someone who "regretted" ever serving in the Navy as an officer. Big picture, administrations (in particular demand for the military) and markets could change, so if you want to roll the dice trying to come back in at a later time it might bite you from behind.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Got NPQ'd, does SWO suck? What percent get SPECWAR?

I was in a very similar situation as you a few years ago and here is my most recent advice on the topic: https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...ansfer-into-aviation.46256/page-2#post-931075

As far as SPECWAR goes, you need to A) Prove that you are worthy to the SPECWAR bubbas and B) be 100% prepared and committed to SPECWAR. It is NOT a back-up option. Proving yourself is as much a task of passing the physical stuff, but also overcoming the mental hurdles as well as showing that your personality is a good fit. Lateral transfers between Unrestricted Line communities are tough to come by and you need to be the TOP performer and have the stars align just right to make it happen.

Don’t miss the opportunity. Go SWO.

I'm of the same opinion as HAL. You get one shot to live the adventure and embark on the Grand Campaign. Don't pass it up just because it's not working out exactly as you thought it would.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll help as much as I can.

Hey all, thank you for providing such in depth feedback!

I’ve been doing some pondering and I’m still kinda stuck in the middle (I know what the right decision is though) but you guys have provided some great points that I will help my decision. I’ll go ahead and PM some of y’all.

The reality of my situation is that while I really don’t want to go SWO at all (also will be kinda sad when I see an F18 fly by), but I don’t exactly have a solid backup plan if I were to DOR. I do want to be an officer and build my leadership skills sl I feel that this opportunity would definitely set me up for good positions outside of the Navy. At the moment, I’m trying to see if I can figure some kind of plan out but I may just embrace the suck and make the best of it

Pags

N/A
pilot

I’ve been doing some pondering and I’m still kinda stuck in the middle (I know what the right decision is though) but you guys have provided some great points that I will help my decision. I’ll go ahead and PM some of y’all.

The reality of my situation is that while I really don’t want to go SWO at all (also will be kinda sad when I see an F18 fly by), but I don’t exactly have a solid backup plan if I were to DOR. I do want to be an officer and build my leadership skills sl I feel that this opportunity would definitely set me up for good positions outside of the Navy. At the moment, I’m trying to see if I can figure some kind of plan out but I may just embrace the suck and make the best of it
An observation on your stated desire to be an officer and a leader: you have many current and former aviators saying that in your current position if you want to be an officer and to lead to go SWO. Which is a pretty strong endorsement for the SWO option and Naval experience from us brown shoes.

Switchstone

I wanted to be a naval aviator ever since I saw Top Gun as a kid. I know...I know, but I wont apologize. Although I knew that NROTC provided no guarantee that I'd get aviation, I rolled the dice and signed the dotted line. A little over 4 years later - and thanks to a CO who cared greatly about his MIDN - I arrived in Pensacola. Fast forward to the tail end of instruments in Primary, and I got the news that I was no longer medically qualified. So trust me when I say, I know it sucks. I was asked if I still had a desire to remain in the Navy. I said yes, but I didn't believe my own answer at the time. It helped immensely that the Navy, for their part, went above and beyond what I was expecting to keep me in the cockpit. It's been about 15 months since I last strapped in to a cockpit, and dont get me wrong, I do miss it. But ultimately, I'm happy. I didn't think I would be at first, but after the initial wave of dissapointment/bitterness/insert applicable noun wears off, don't be surprised if you learn to find enjoyment in whatever your stuck doing. I know you joined because you wanted to fly, but there's a lot of cool things you can end up doing, and a lot of fantastic locations you can end up at - some of which are so humid that your 2 best pairs of cowboy boots get mold on them, because apparently thats a thing.

I'd say give the Navy a chance. You never know where the road will lead, but you'll never find out either, unless you start walking.

exNavyOffRec

One of the best officers I served with was a SWO who initially was supposed to be an NA but was found not medically qualified, I loved working for him, and this guys twin brother did become a NA so I am sure he heard about the fun he had flying all the time. You could be that guy that goes SWO and 25 years from now someone is talking about this great officer they worked with that was supposed to be a NA.

Status
Not open for further replies.