• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Strike Fighter with 20/25 vision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overlord243

Final-Select SNA 20 Feb 2011 OCS Date
So I was pro-rec SNA back in September and have an OCS date of 20 Feb 2011. My vision is 20/25 uncorrected and corrected to 20/20. I easily fit under the 20/40 uncorrected rule.

Here's my question:

Will I be limited out of the strike fighter pipeline (f-18/f-35/etc)? Will someone flying such an aircraft be allowed to wear glasses? Do they have any other means of correction like a visor or something? I've flown for the last 6 years with zero correction so it would be a shame if I'm not allowed the possibility to fly one of these beasts.

Disclaimer: I know a military medical is different than an FAA medical. I also know that flying a fighter is different than the piston powered aircraft I currently fly. Also, I know I will be flying what the Navy needs first, not what I want. Having said that though I would like to know now if I'm DQ'd from strike fighters. In the end it's not a big deal as my main aspiration is the P-3/P-8 at this point.

Thanks for the help!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm at a loss on this thread. You're asking a question that has been asked numerous times about a subject that you then say doesn't really matter to you. How do I reply with a serious answer?

If you're not 22 years old and 6'2" with blond hair and blue eyes with 20/15 vision, I wouldn't even show your face on day one of Primary.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You're done, no fighters or fixed wing for you, post T-6/34. Anybody with less than perfect vision will fly helicopters or blimps :icon_tong

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
You're done, no fighters or fixed wing for you, post T-6/34. Anybody with less than perfect vision will fly helicopters or blimps :icon_tong

You can also get Navy balloons... but it requires a waiver...

Overlord243

Well I am 6'0 with blonde hair and blue eye's...

Haha, even with the disclaimer I get pounced on. To be honest, I'd love to fly a strike fighter but would like to have a family too. The P-8 lifestyle seems to allow that more. I think you see where this is going... I don't want to open that whole topic. Sir, I'm just trying to find out if the strike fighter pipeline is possible. I asked my OR and he couldn't give me a clear answer. I also searched the site (with no results). If you could give me some advice or point me somewhere with a link it would be appreciated.

ArkansasFlyBoy

None
Would love to fly a strike fighter but have a family too? So you cant have both???:confused:

Well I am 6'0 with blonde hair and blue eye's...

Haha, even with the disclaimer I get pounced on. To be honest, I'd love to fly a strike fighter but would like to have a family too. The P-8 lifestyle seems to allow that more. I think you see where this is going... I don't want to open that whole topic. Sir, I'm just trying to find out if the strike fighter pipeline is possible. I asked my OR and he couldn't give me a clear answer. I also searched the site (with no results). If you could give me some advice or point me somewhere with a link it would be appreciated.

Overlord243

Thanks Statesman, do these aviators just correct with glasses or? My neighbor is a former active Navy chopper guy and he corrected with glasses. Can jet jockey's do the same?

ArkansasFlyBoy

None
And as far as having a family and doing the strike fighter gig, its no big deal, 4 kids, a wife, and a dog to come home to everyday here.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks Statesman, do these aviators just correct with glasses or? My neighbor is a former active Navy chopper guy and he corrected with glasses. Can jet jockey's do the same?

Yes. Everyone who isn't 20/20 corrects with glasses. It doesn't matter if you're just out of limits or you graduated from Uncle Willey's accredited farming school with a bachelors, you're eligible for all platforms, as far as eyes go.

Overlord243

Yes. Everyone who isn't 20/20 corrects with glasses. It doesn't matter if you're just out of limits or you graduated from Uncle Willey's accredited farming school with a bachelors, you're eligible for all platforms, as far as eyes go.

Thanks for the clarification, that's what I was looking for.

Overlord243

And as far as having a family and doing the strike fighter gig, its no big deal, 4 kids, a wife, and a dog to come home to everyday here.

If you don't mind me asking how long have you been in? I just heard that you aren't really able to see family for the first 3 years or so out of flight training due to work ups behind the boat and deployments. Your example is very encouraging to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.