• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Straight-up what are my chances at selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaGrad

I am a former marine, 3112 mos, with an honorable discharge after 4 years active duty. I am 28 and recently graduated from the Univ. of Alabama with a degree in Communications. My gpa was 2.9 and I am not the greatest at math hence the communications degree. I would be honored to serve my country, again, as an officer and naval aviator. Honestly, what are my chances of being selected? Should i bother talking to a recruiter? Does prior service get bumped to the front of the list? I am a bit out of shape now, but than can be taken care of no problem. I may/may not have done drugs in college. I know officers are held to a higher standard, but i also know how the game is played in the military. Out of sight,out of mind. What they don't know won't hurt 'em. Will i have to pass a lie-detector test? Any info would be appreciated. God Bless America and those of us that have served our country.

WFU2USN

BamaGrad,

Your 2.9 in Comm. is not going to help, but your prior service likely would. You can, of course, talk to a recruiter, but right now things are very competitive and they're looking for 3.5+ GPA's - not that you're ruled out. Being a prior can help, but it does not in any way make you a shoe-in. You will have to take the ATSB, do a PRT, write a personal statement, do letters of rec., etc.

I'm a little disturbed by your comement that you may or may not have done drugs in college. You either did or you didn't. Enlisted or officer, there's no need to do that cr@p - I saw plenty of people get booted off of active duty for it. And what they don't know may very well hurt someone else, so don't even bother with that line.

You will not have to complete a lie dectector test, but you will have to fill out the lengthy security form. All officers have a secret clearance, and I think pilots may get a TS because of the wepons and intel. gathering systems used on aircraft - don't hold me to that though. And, in the case you need a TS Clearance, they will thoroughly dig through the past 7- years of your life and find whatever it is you're trying to hide.

I don't mean to sound trite, but if you're willing to lie now to become an officer,what would stop it later?

IS2(SCW)

BamaGrad

I have no problem with integrity. If i can be honest about my past and still get into OCS then so be it. I just wanted to know if i should even bother talking with a recruiter.

SkyHigh

I surely do not know everything, but what I have been told by my recruiting district is that last year there was 75 Pilot slots in the whole country, and this year there are 25. A kid with a 3.4-3.7 in science from a good northeast school with decent ASTB scores, and a Capt. father and a 1 star pushing him recently got rejected. So i heard it is reserved for sons of the president, and last time I checked he had none. But prior time would definately help, and I know for a fact that the USMC need pilots and it is the only thing they are takeing.

kdmiller8251

I dont mean to be rude but come on, may or may not have done drugs...... Your prior service... you should have known better than that... If you are contemplating lying about, I wouldnt want to serve with you..
Like WFU2USN said, if you are willing to lie now whats to stop you later.. I dont want to be in a plane with someone you cant trust...

Adrenaline Rush

Jeez you guys need to lighten up..People make mistakes, why are you judging him?? You dont think there are any current naval aviators that smoked weed before??? But one thing I will question you on is how in the world can you go from being a MARINE, to a sailor????

"And on the 8th day the Marines took over the globe and have been runnin it ever since"

tali264

ummmmm......apparently he wised up after a few years
tongue_125.gif

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I'm with Adrenaline Rush... Marines to Navy? Come' on man. Stick with the Devil Dogs to fly.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

WFU2USN

Adrenaline Rush,

Yes, I'm certain there are many people who are currently in the military (all branches) that have smoked weed or done worse. And it it really a mistake? I haven't often seen people who are forced to use drugs, it's a choice, and a poor one at that. What does that say about one's decision making?

I expect more of a person, especially someone with prior service. The military tends to DQ those who elect to make the "mistake" of using drugs. Do they make exceptions (i.e. Yes, Johnny smoked pot less than 10 times...), of course, but once a person chooses to take on heavier controlled substances, they say, "No."

I'm sure with your non-prior service status you're very familiar with what can happen when service men and women get hurt because their counterparts were on drugs. It's not a matter of judgement, it's a matter of safety and trust for shipmates. In the case that this individual has "made a mistake" in using something greater than pot, what about flashback and other freaky stuff that can happen years later?

We all make choices, and wise or not, pay the resulting consequences. When it comes to keeping people safe onboard ship or wherever, those mistakes come into consideration. Trust is a big deal. I'm sure with your lack of time in the military at the ripe age of 20 you're familiar with these things.

IS2(SCW)

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
BamaGrad - don't listen to the preachers. I believe a Marine with an honorable discharge has more integrity in his left nut sack than most people ever have. I'd serve with you. Do what you think is right, and roll the dice.
From,
-Someone With "Poor" Decision Making Skills Who Still Got A Pilot Slot

jason12

are you still on drugs?.....If not then why....? oh you heard they were bad for you and they were illegal and it just wasn't you...well i think that says a little about integrity right there that you thought better of yourself to get off of them. And i'll tell you one thing, you aren't some idiotic war protestor out there demonstrating against men and women going off to serve their country, so if you lied about something you did a few years back and have since learned from your mistake i'd be happy to serve with you....at least you are doing something productive with your life instead of belittling someone for asking a question merely to gain an opinion..

"IF ONE ADVANCES CONFIDENTLY IN THE DIRECTION OF HIS DREAMS,
AND ENDEAVORS TO LIVE THE LIFE WHICH HE HAS IMAGINED, HE WILL MEET WITH A SUCCESS UNEXPECTED IN COMMON HOURS."

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Hey,

Just fellt like jumping in. I think that everyone has a good point here but I think the MAIN issue is being over looked. The main issue being HONESTY. Now ... I'm not telling anyone what they should or should not do ... that is a decision for everyone to make on there own. What I am saying is ... be honest ... if you did drugs ... then you did it and admit to it.

I have found in my 27 years of life that lies ALWAYS catch up with you sooner or later. Wouldn't it suck if you were on your 1st tour and a past drug (or any other for that matter) issue came up and you were grounded.

If you smoked weed a few times I don't think that is going to DQ you. EVERYONE makes a few poor decisions in their life time especially when they are young but be honest about what you have done and in my opinion you will get more respect from that.

Just my 2 cents,

-Spin

Adrenaline Rush

LOL WFU, I feel like I just got hit with a few shots there.heheh....Its cool though, Honestly I am against someone wanting to be in the military using drugs, I for one have not even touched a cigarette in my life while all my other friends (with no exceptions) have done weed and more...In fact the flight school that I attend now has pilots that smoke weed regularly..One of the reasons I looked into the military was to separate myself from the "others"..But at the same token, even our last president has had a joint in his hands , but he didnt inhale right?? Well the point that I'd like to make is that people change..Did you want the same things at 16 that you wanted at the age of 20?? I dont think so..I know I have changed 360 degrees as a person in four years..I dont think what you have done in your past always has a bearing on what you will do in your future...but thats just my opinion, and Im only the ripe age of 20 and non prior service LOL

"And on the 8th day the Marines took over the globe and have been runnin it ever since"

Status
Not open for further replies.