• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stormy Carrier pics?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A shooter buddy of mine took this photo onboard NIMITZ (CVN 68) earlier this summer as NIMITZ cruised in the Indian Ocean. His photo was selected as the cover photo for the fall edition of The Hook.

get-attachment.aspx

Um, yeah. I'm not going to be able to read your email.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
A shooter buddy of mine took this photo onboard NIMITZ (CVN 68) earlier this summer as NIMITZ cruised in the Indian Ocean. His photo was selected as the cover photo for the fall edition of The Hook.

get-attachment.aspx

Just give us the password. We'll keep it safe.

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
Comon gator, that pic sounds awesome. Give us the password, we're all friends here.

MPH

You might like this one as well....

Sorry to veer off topic for a moment, but I after about two months of lurking I registered so I could comment on the previous video as it was very familiar to me. The video's time frame is somewhere between '92-'93, and the A4's pictured belonged to VFC-13.

The Saints did a good amount of flying out of Fallon NAS (Which is the base pictured), and the shots of Ft. Jefferson were from when VFC-13 opened up their Key West detachment (now VFC-111).

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None

Ok, maybe this photo will post this this time.

Wave Over Nimitz 2007.jpg

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
I don't think I'd want to be topside on that DDG during unrep, Cat. You mentioned the Midway.... I had heard that when the "blisters" were installed on the hull during the late 70s or so because the ship was so top heavy, they actually aggravated the so called dutch roll...any comments on that?

The mighty Midway had a well-known dutch roll tendency that most CVW-5 aviators adapted to quite well. In March 1986, the last of the old CVW-5 air wing flew off and said farewell to Phantoms and Corsairs and Midway went into the yards for the blister install. According to "word of mouth" at the time, the Japanese shipyard folks at SRF Yoko told the Navy that the blisters wouldn't work as intended. Too bad the NAVSEA bubbas didn't listen, as the Japanese shipyard folks really loved the Midway and wanted only the best for "their carrier." As NAVSEA intended the blisters would do two things, stabilize the flight deck and raise the hull out of the water more to restore the torpedo belt armor to the correct location below the waterline. Needless to say, the Japanese were correct. The blisters as originally installed destroyed the handling characteristics of the Midway and made the ship very unstable in quartering seas, to wit the famous roll where the angle deck nearly touched to water. In the end, a flag officer, an SES, and a captain at NAVSEA were relieved over the Midway blister job.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
(in the case of) The mighty Midway ....Needless to say, the Japanese were correct. ....
And they usually are, to their eternal credit. But: the Jap-anese blew it big time on the design and construction of Kansai Intl' ... KIX .... after ignoring the advice and warnings of the AMERICAN engineering firm brought in to consult on the design.

The multi-billion "airport to end all airports", built on fill .... is sinking.
:):eek::skull_125

Big problems.

Much hissing on that one .... :):eek::skull_125

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
And they usually are, to their eternal credit. But: the Jap-anese blew it big time on the design and construction of Kansai Intl' ... KIX .... after ignoring the advice and warnings of the AMERICAN engineering firm brought in to consult on the design.

The multi-billion "airport to end all airports", built on fill .... is sinking.

Big problems.

Much hissing on that one .... :):eek::skull_125

It's still a better stopover on the way to Oki than doing the "Tokyo shuffle".

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It's still a better stopover on the way to Oki than doing the "Tokyo shuffle".
Which strikes me as funny; as the Tokio (sic -- WW2 spelling, at least) layover is far superior to O-O-Oo-Oo-Oo-Oo-O-Oo-saka, at least from the Whale Pilot's perspective....

I suppose they call that "ironic" ... ??? :)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Which strikes me as funny; as the Tokio (sic -- WW2 spelling, at least) layover is far superior to O-O-Oo-Oo-Oo-Oo-O-Oo-saka, at least from the Whale Pilot's perspective....

I suppose they call that "ironic" ... ??? :)

When you have to take a bus from Haneda to Nahrita, it sucks. I like Oasaka. Then again, I'm not responsible for making sure it doesn't sink.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
from Instapinch:
Reader Tim sent this along, having received it from his buds in Japan. Couple things to remember - the flight deck is 70′ above the water, so that looks like about a 40 foot wave at least; why the HECK was that helo parked/tied down right in the middle of the bow; that sort of weather just lulls you to sleep - you’re down in your rack, just rockin’ back and forth like a baby, listening to the echo of that wave slamming into the steel hull reverbrate all along down the length of the ship!

Air Force pukes? Yeppers…that is about what they’d be doing!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the Big E going around South America in 1990, we had 60 knots of wind on the flight deck. And that was just making enough way to have steerage.

We backed down to recover a/c. No wake to cross on a day Case I approach. You could see the props turning under the blue water behind the ship. Way cool.

There was concern about the F-14 canopies on start up as they had a limitation of 60 knots of ambient wind. Somehow none came off and it all worked out.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Found this .... of a pitching deck. Seems legit.

Totally legit .... did I just say totally ??? Good grief; I sound like a Valley Girl ... :eek:

We had white water going over the top of the aircraft while on the cat in the Sea of Japan -- big WX.