• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stopped for DUI, convicted of Reckless Driving. Is this much of a problem?

cram88

BDCP Supply
I'm a sophomore at the University of North Florida, and my senior year of high school I was picked up after a wedding reception (fairly intoxicated) and taken in for a DUI. After hiring a lawyer, blah blah, it was dropped to reckless driving. DUI still shows up, but ultimately it is just reckless driving (due to lack of evidence of course). This won't be a dead end road for me will it? 3.6 GPA, accounting major, 6/6/7 60, 1220 SAT, 28 ACT. Hmm...any input is great!

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Maybe, Maybe-Not... nothing is final until you get that letter in the mail saying you didn't make the cut. Finish your application, make it strong, submit it... and see what happens. Then submit it again. And again if need be. I know you've seen the recruiter since you have an ASTB score... what did he say about the DUI?

Boomer91

I had a DUI when I was a bit younger and before I enlisted in the Navy. I got out and submitted a BDCP package for SNFO and was picked up. It happened 7 years before I submitted my package and have been squeaky clean ever since. So to answer your question, will it hurt you? Maybe a little bit, but not enough to disqualify you from the program in my opinion. I would definitely include in your package what you learned from the whole situation and how you plan on applying what you learned to your future junior sailors. Everyone makes mistakes, including myself. I think that they just want to see that you can bounce back, learn from it, and press on. It doesn't look the best, but it wont keep you from getting picked up in my humble opinion.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I'm a sophomore at the University of North Florida, and my senior year of high school I was picked up after a wedding reception (snip) and taken in, accused of a DUI. After hiring a lawyer, blah blah, it was dropped to reckless driving. DUI still shows up since that was what I was accused of, but ultimately it is just reckless driving (due to lack of evidence of course). This won't be a dead end road for me will it? 3.6 GPA, accounting major, 6/6/7 60, 1220 SAT, 28 ACT. Hmm...any input is great!

Probably more like what you want to say on a public forum. Never lie, but don't state more than the legal facts either.

cram88

BDCP Supply
Vette--my recruiter had a DUI 20-some years ago as well, saying it didn't set him back, as he was already in the Navy. He says the board "would find it more odd had you NOT gotten in any trouble as a kid."

Boomer--I already sent in my application, and of course I wrote how I learned from my lesson, and will use it to utilize better decision making in the futures. I am shooting for the February board, and will post as soon as I get my letter. The more personal response helps, even though my "hiccup" happened 18 months ago and yours was 7 years, it still reassures me a little.

Picaroon--I only put that I was charged with reckless driving due to lack of evidence for a DUI, with no personal details about the incident. But your input definetely could help some applicants out there!

MasterBates

It was also a MUCH different Navy 20 years ago when he got his DUI.

DUI = Career DEATH for Officers 95% of the time now a days.

Bevo16

pilot
I think that the board understands that if they eliminate everyone who has speeding tickets and other teen-age mischief in their records, they are going to end up with a bunch of pussies.

If you don't get picked up, it won't be because of that.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I think you read that the wrong way. Not unfortunate in the sense that we get in trouble for DUIs, but that its unfortunate for "you" (whoever got it) that it might fvck you

cram88

BDCP Supply
If you don't get picked up, it won't be because of that.

Well, with a 3.56 GPA, 6/6/7 60, accounting major, what would you think could set me back? I got recommendations from a previous officer recruiter, currently a chief warrant officer, a retired captain of 30 years, two professors, an old job, and my father, a retired Navy Supply Commander. My recruiter also told my father to give one of the board members a call, since he is a Supply officer as well, which might sort of give me a little edge. Who knows, but, anything can help I guess.

So anyways, picked up for the program or not, what would you all say about me and my chances?