• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Steps in the BDCP timeline

Semisonic9

I wish we could go to basic or something beforehand, too, just to get a feel of what enlisted guys go through. I'd feel like it's only fair to know a little bit of the men and women that I'll be potentially leading.

I guess I'm confused on how the BDCP commissioning process works.

I was under the impression the timeline went:

Apply --> Get accepted --> Take oath/paperwork --> Go to school until you finish --> Navy Boot Camp --> Navy OCS --> Community training (AIT, whatever the call it. "Job school") --> First duty post.

When do we do Boot? Or do we somehow skip it? That seems very strange, to me.

-J

m26

Contributor
Apply --> Get accepted --> Take oath/paperwork --> Go to school until you finish --> Navy Boot Camp --> Navy OCS --> Community training (AIT, whatever the call it. "Job school") --> First duty post.

When do we do Boot? Or do we somehow skip it? That seems very strange, to me.

Apply --> Get accepted --> Take oath/paperwork --> Go to school until you finish --> Navy OCS --> Community training* --> First duty post.

*Most SWOs go straight to a ship, I believe. SNA/NFO go to the flight training pipeline (once there is a space for them), Supply goes to supply school (6 months in Newport).
AIT is Army, "A" School is Navy, but that's for enlisted.

You don't do Boot Camp. Instead of 8 weeks in Great Lakes, you do 12 weeks of Officer-specific fun in Newport. It is the basic training necessary to become an officer in the Navy.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Why the hell would you WANT to do summer training? That's like the moron at A pool who volunteers for a stash job, or the douchebag who actually ASKS to go to vance so he can fly the "sweet T-6". Quit being dumb and volunteering to work when you are getting the SWEETEST deal the Navy has to offer future officers.

And BDCP = OCS, NOT boot camp..... unless you suck and don't make it through OCS. ;)

Semisonic9

And BDCP = OCS, NOT boot camp..... unless you suck and don't make it through OCS. ;)

Mmm. Is it the same OCS everyone else gets?

In other words, I'm thinking of enlisted who apply to become officers. They have to go through a second boot camp to do so? That sucks.

Honestly, (don't laugh!) the only film/television representation of OCS I can think of is from An Officer and a Gentleman. I guess I should really look into more info on what I'm in for. :tongue2_1

m26

Contributor
Honestly, (don't laugh!) the only film/television representation of OCS I can think of is from An Officer and a Gentleman. I guess I should really look into more info on what I'm in for. :tongue2_1

PROJO

Also, your officer recruiter will make you squirm through a 20 year old VHS tape showing you the ins and outs of OCS (In Pensacola :rolleyes:).

And, of course, there is more info than you'll know what to do with right here on AW.

Lobster

I don't know if "squirm" is the right word there...maybe "suffer through" or "remain conscious through"...;)

m26

Contributor
I may have blacked out a few times so that won't work, and I was definitely squirming. :shake_125