• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stencils and Stamps

Fetter

I got 4 pair of Fox River wick-dry maximum socks- waiting for the next boots and utes run to try them out. They do feel nice...

I broke down and got a 1/2" stamp from Staples w/ Helvetica font because it looked the most normal and they didn't have stencil.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Do they still use the white nametapes over the pockets and on the backs of the utility blouses?

I thought that a Sharpie marker would work SO much better than the prescribed black shoe polish with my nametag stencils. Not so much. I had to scam some extras from the candidate entrusted with the tape and redo mine after the Sharpie bled into the fabric to the point of illegibility.

We still used the prison tape this winter. We used ballpoint pen and a stencil, it worked well without bleeding.

Fetter

What about white socks for PT? I have heard that the socks can't have any showing brand markings. Length?

I have some really nice Balega moisture wicking socks, but they show a logo on the heel just above my shoe. I'll be seriously pissed if those get taken away from me/denied at $10/pair.

joemcspeed

stencils, socks??? your priorities are way off.. If anything give that crap to the kids who are slow and hurting. Other than that remember the enlisted guys get issued EVERYTHING and there are no weekends off.

The real things to learn are how to be the quiet leader. The guy people follow when you havent even said anything. Personally I think the PT and LRC and anything physical were far easier then having to just let stupid people lead. But you haveto because they deserve the chance. Hang out at Wal-Mart theres a lot of stupid people there....jk

On a serious and helpful note.... DO NOT wash your white socks with the green socks issued, yours or not. There is some crazy yellow dye in them that causes anything white (including name tapes) to turn bright piss yellow. Not sure anyone will take heed once there though. ( but you will remember this in the 2nd week when the co. guns is screaming at PT.

Good Luck and Semper Gumby.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
On a serious and helpful note.... DO NOT wash your white socks with the green socks issued, yours or not. There is some crazy yellow dye in them that causes anything white (including name tapes) to turn bright piss yellow. Not sure anyone will take heed once there though. ( but you will remember this in the 2nd week when the co. guns is screaming at PT.

Good Luck and Semper Gumby.

Not an issue anymore as UnderArmor socks are issued now. They are 100% synthetic and are immune to dyes. The towels and name tapes will still turn yellow.

I brought some thorlo boot socks because the issued ones are total crap. Just make sure they are black, brown (not desert sand or tan) or green.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I say you just wear these and see what happens. If you can survive that, then they can do nothing else to hurt you.

BLOGG+RETRO+3.jpg

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
Everyone freaks out about what to bring to OCS before they go, to the point of thinking if they miss something it will make the difference between them passing and failing. YOU WILL GET EVERYTHING THAT YOU NEED ISSUED TO YOU, other things can be nice but are not essentials. The only things you need to bring are the things on the website, civvie clothes on your back, running shoes, a watch on you wrist, $358 in your wallet, your cell phone in your front pocket, your cell charger in you bag with your spare set of civvie clothes, basic toiletry items, towel, razor, shaving cream, toothbrush, toothpaste and soap. Everything else is non-essential, you shouldn't need more than a few more items, if it doesn't all fit in a regular backpack you should leave it at home.

Read this page and the links; http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/CandidateInformation/Arrival%20Information.asp

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
yeah I think you will look back after you finish OCS at all the stressing you are doing now and will just laugh.

Gear should be the least of your worries. If you get there and realize that you really need something, you can go buy it on your first libo.

The guys that bring a ton of extra crap are the ones that get thrashed during pickup and often times lose it all. Those morons that try and bring their own Irons...I have never seen an iron get tossed so high in the air in my life!

Fetter

yeah I think you will look back after you finish OCS at all the stressing you are doing now and will just laugh.

Gear should be the least of your worries. If you get there and realize that you really need something, you can go buy it on your first libo.

The guys that bring a ton of extra crap are the ones that get thrashed during pickup and often times lose it all. Those morons that try and bring their own Irons...I have never seen an iron get tossed so high in the air in my life!

Haha, well it is good that I didn't go out and get a small iron just because I saw someone recommend it on the forum somewhere.

I was thinking about putting duct tape on a corner of all my ziplock bags and punching a hole through the corners- then tying them all together with a string or something. That way they stay together, but I can still get into them. Eh...eh? Well I think I am on to something here.

Reconjoe

I was thinking about putting duct tape on a corner of all my ziplock bags and punching a hole through the corners- then tying them all together with a string or something. That way they stay together, but I can still get into them. Eh...eh? Well I think I am on to something here.

I did that exact same thing, and it worked...for about 4.3 seconds....thats the reaction time of the nearest DI who thought I was "trying to cheat the system....thats a CHIT!!"

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Haha, well it is good that I didn't go out and get a small iron just because I saw someone recommend it on the forum somewhere.

Nah..Just put your name on the bags. they will make their way back to you. If there are two things I learned while I was there, its that:

1) Pickup will suck no matter how much you try and prepare for it. You are dealing with professional stress-makers and they will keep the heat on until they are satisfied that everyone is completely whigged out.

and 2) Things have a funny way of working themselves out. You will undoubtedly lose something during the process, but when the time comes that you need it, something will be figured out.

Dont worry about it and dont try and beat the system. Just go with it and try and remember that it is designed that way for a reason. You keep that in mind and it wont hurt too bad. ;)

Reconjoe

2) Things have a funny way of working themselves out. You will undoubtedly lose something during the process, but when the time comes that you need it, something will be figured out.

So true.....for Juniors I lost a ziplock bag that had a bible, some pictures, and an address book in it.....it turned up on the very last day, a candidate packing his bags to go home found it...he was in another platoon in another company and damned if any of us could figure out how the bag got to him.