• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Status of IFS

Would I be able to bypass IFS with 30 hrs in a Cessna? I did three separate landing solos where I remained in the pattern with full stop taxing backs (full stop taxi back is probably irrelevant?). The next step was beginning solos, but mother nature did not cooperate, along with the check book!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Would I be able to bypass IFS with 30 hrs in a Cessna? I did three separate landing solos where I remained in the pattern with full stop taxing backs (full stop taxi back is probably irrelevant?). The next step was beginning solos, but mother nature did not cooperate, along with the check book!

You need a valid FAA cert (PPL, CPL, etc) to bypass IFS....even if you have the requisite hours to have completed the program.

You need a valid FAA cert (PPL, CPL, etc) to bypass IFS....even if you have the requisite hours to have completed the program.

Would they make me start out at square one, as if I had no flight hours, or would they take from what I have already done and work from there?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
That would require too much thought and energy...you will have to just do IFS from square one. It's not that long, and with 30 hours in a Cessna, you probably could use the refresher. I have over 100 hours and it had been 4-5 years since I was in the cockpit, I would have loved the time in IFS.

IFS is pretty binary..you either need it or you don't, if you do, it's the entire thing.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Would they make me start out at square one, as if I had no flight hours, or would they take from what I have already done and work from there?

I'm sure that is something that you would need to work out on an individual basis with the contracted school and your IP. If I were you, I'd take the extra flight hours and make the most of them. Especially if any significant time has elapsed between now and when you did your previous training. I had several hundred hours and a commercial/IR ticket coming into primary, and had spent the previous 4-5 years primarily out of the cockpit, and I was certainly rusty to say the least. A few IFS hours would probably have brought me back up to my previous speed fairly quickly. Just some food for thought

I'm sure that is something that you would need to work out on an individual basis with the contracted school and your IP. If I were you, I'd take the extra flight hours and make the most of them. Especially if any significant time has elapsed between now and when you did your previous training. I had several hundred hours and a commercial/IR ticket coming into primary, and had spent the previous 4-5 years primarily out of the cockpit, and I was certainly rusty to say the least. A few IFS hours would probably have brought me back up to my previous speed fairly quickly. Just some food for thought

Yes I agree, a few IFS hours would help. I would much rather have them start me back at square one, I just didn't know if had you start out where you "left off".

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yes I agree, a few IFS hours would help. I would much rather have them start me back at square one, I just didn't know if had you start out where you "left off".

You shouldn't. In fact, there is not necissarily a reason to even mention that you have a couple hours previously if you don't have any certs. My policy in primary and the early stages of advanced was not to mention it unless someone figured it out on their own and asked me. Never caused any problems for me, and you save yourself the pain of being "that guy"

You shouldn't.

Ok good!

In fact, there is not necissarily a reason to even mention that you have a couple hours previously if you don't have any certs. My policy in primary and the early stages of advanced was not to mention it unless someone figured it out on their own and asked me. Never caused any problems for me, and you save yourself the pain of being "that guy"

Good policy, nobody really likes "that guy"! Couldn't you say that by the time one hits primary flight experience is less of a factor since everyone is trained on the same level? That it just makes you more comfortable in the cockpit?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I got to Bay Minette they asked us on the first day if anyone had any previous flying time and, if so, would they like to be pushed through faster. A couple guys did so they doubled up on a bunch of flights. Those guys finished weeks ahead of me and the others in my class who had zero time.

Raptor2216

Does it really matter? You're getting paid either way.

Seriously, what are these guys bitching about? Getting paid to live in a relatively good place, doing nothing most of the time, being able to take leave and getting flight time paid for relatively easy flying, oh and need I mention it again, getting paid for it? Do what needs to be done and stop the bitching. I don't know why this topic has to be covered once every couple months.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
^This. STFU and enjoy flying the bugsmashers.

No kidding... if you get your wings a little later than you hoped, in the grand scheme of things the world will not run out of crappy places to deploy to or people in those places who hate you and our country... :)

MD2NZ

pilot
"Screening"

I don't think 20 hours of IFS "yoke time" would help in primary much, no matter the wait.

Not designed to teach, but designed to screen. One of many sh!t filters on the road to wings. I taught about 2300 studs during my time @ NASC, and only a handful "attrited" from IFS. Mostly a "Do I want to be here" check.

Other countries have a much more formalized style of this type of training, with much better results. IFS traces its roots back to WWII (CPTP), and I think it is valuable if managed correctly. Right now the USN is missing the mark, mostly because it's opting for a cheap system.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Nobody's bitching, they are just trying to get information.