• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Statins

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Whats the prevailing belief on statin medication in 2022 as an intervention - as an aging dude/professional pilot who needs to retain a FAA medical. Lipid and A1C numbers elevating but not crazy (yet). Risk / reward? Skeptical in my ability to self motivate to PT more and cut out the things I love - meat, dry martinis, pasta, wine etc. Skeptical of PCP guidance on Lipitor....
Thanks!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whats the prevailing belief on statin medication in 2022 as an intervention - as an aging dude/professional pilot who needs to retain a FAA medical. Lipid and A1C numbers elevating but not crazy (yet). Risk / reward? Skeptical in my ability to self motivate to PT more and cut out the things I love - meat, dry martinis, pasta, wine etc. Skeptical of PCP guidance on Lipitor....
Thanks!
I've been on them for 10 years - fairly low dosage. For some folks, diet and exercise have little impact on cholesterol - just the way my liver is wired. Been very effective at bringing my LDL into a healthy range with zero side effects. Some docs will tell you not to eat grapefruit, others say it's OK. I enjoy the occasional Italian Greyhound, which is one of life's simple pleasures. Sometimes, it's more than occasional. I'm still standing. YMMV.

I will say that they consider the totality of your risk factors before putting you on Statins... I.E., it's not just your LDL number that counts. It's a combination of your lipid profile, blood pressure, family history, etc.

**Consult your doctor before doing anything that I do.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
I follow the most recent American College of Cardiology guidance on the use of statins for primary prevention of cardiovascular (CV )events. The first step is to estimate the 10-year risk of an event with a calculator (https://www.cvriskcalculator.com/). Once you have that info, this flow chart (https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardi...a-guidelines-on-the-primary-prevention-of-cvd) leads you through the process. Your PCP may have done that calculation in his head, or more formally, but getting an objective risk assessment is important for personal planning purposes ("Do I need to call my life insurance agent today?") and to guide therapeutic options.

From the original post, I would be concerned about the diagnosis of insulin resistance (rising A1c levels and hyperlipidemia), or "pre-diabetes/metabolic syndrome", and eventual progression to overt diabetes. Getting that sorted out first will make some difference in lipid therapy, as statin treatment is indicated for all diabetics, regardless of their other risk factors.

The diagnosis of diabetes is equivalent to a prior MI in terms of risk for future CV events. It may also goad you into some lifestyle modifications that will affect both blood glucose and lipids, as the FAA has their own hoops when it comes to medications for diabetes that could affect your flight status.

Statins are very effective at preventing stroke and MI, and the effect is seen rapidly after starting therapy. Only few people experience side effects severe enough to limit therapy. That said, if you are diagnosed with insulin resistance, getting that fixed helps lower the lipid levels.

Having a fatal MI never scared me too much. Having the "just shy of fatal MI" is the real worry.

V/R