• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

State FSO's

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Assuming it is an accurate depiction of events, the subject of that article is disgusting. There are plenty of DoD agencies that have mobility clauses that force civilians to deploy and none of them are part of the FOREIGN SERVICE.

Grim Reaper

Should've ORM'd that...
pilot
Remember that whole "to support and defend" thing

Funny, they (FSOs) take an oath quite similar to the rest of us. Perhaps they have some clause that military members don't... like if you have an allergic reaction to getting sand in your shorts.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
All of you need to take a step back and realize what it is that they do and what it is that WE do.
These folks are NOT military so if they want to be upset about serving in a freaking combat zone they have every right to.
Just my thoughts.

They aren't being asked to do our job or bear arms. They are being asked to do their job, in an admittedly more dangerous area. Given the nature of their job, they probably won't be leaving the wire, so it isn't as dangerous as they're making it out to be. How dangerous is it working on your own in a third world country without a ring of wire and sentries to protect you from criminals and terrorists? And yes, calling it a "potential death sentence" is insulting to our servicemembers. I get the feeling these are the same people that think "foreign service" means an idyllic adventure in Western Europe.

"It is one thing if someone believes in what is going on over there and volunteers,"
Shocking. So we get to pick and choose now.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
These folks are NOT military so if they want to be upset about serving in a freaking combat zone they have every right to.
Just my thoughts.

You're right they are not military, but they ARE Foreign Service Officers, which is different than "regular" Civil Service employees, they are Excepted Service. If we can't force FSO's into "dangerous" places how could we ever expect to advance foreign diplomacy?

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
"Unless they have a valid medical reason to refuse, those who decline to go could face dismissal, it said."

Sounds like they're allowed to quit. Problem solved. It's not like they're getting brig time for refusing to go, they just have to find a job better suited to their pansy ass needs. After all, their needs are by far the most important thing...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"No problem, you don't have to go.....you're fired."

Problem solved

NUFO06

None
These guys come from privileged backgrounds, went to Ivy League schools and dont know the meaning of sacrifice because they have never had to endure anything. Its very competitive to get into the state department so lets give all the other people who want there jobs, like me, a shot at going over there. I would love to see some job openings at the FSO positions.

How many state department officials have died under Blackwater care? Thats a big zero.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
All of you need to take a step back and realize what it is that they do and what it is that WE do.
Just my thoughts.

Well, there are very big differences between what many military personnel do in Iraq and Afghanistan and what the FSO's do. First and foremost, they are not serving in combat capacities and only a minority are on the Provisional Reconstruction Teams and in the field regularly. Msot of them spend mos tof their time in the Green Zone and are not under a dire threat.

As for not being in the military, FSO's hold commissions just like a military officer, with all of the obligations and responsibilities that a commission entails. I don't know many FSO's personally but I know a lot people who have worked with them and apparently many do have an entitlement attitude.

Like others who have pointed it out, they took an oath and they are serving their country, and their country needs them in Iraq. They don't have to like it, but if you take the King's coin.........

How many state department officials have died under Blackwater care? Thats a big zero.

That probably has more to do with where State employees go and the work they do, and often guarded at a ratio of 10 to 1.

bluto

This "revolt of the FSO's" is so indicative of the problems with our mission in Iraq. How can the US effectively nation build when the State Dept can't man their billets. The majority of the problems in Iraq are diplomatic in nature, yet our supposedly preeminent diplomats are publicly shirking their responsibilities. WTF? They are officers of the United States government and need to start acting like it or resign.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're right they are not military, but they ARE Foreign Service Officers, which is different than "regular" Civil Service employees, they are Excepted Service. If we can't force FSO's into "dangerous" places how could we ever expect to advance foreign diplomacy?
I heard some of the recording. It was truly disgusting. FSOs actually hold a "Commission" in the Foreign Service. They are not civil servants in the classic (and technical) sense. They either go or face termination. They do not have to agree with the war or any other foreign policy of the USA any more then a military member. They serve the Administration in office at the time by helping to craft American foreign policy and then advancing that policy whether they agree or not. If I were SEC STATE I'd put anyone who challenged the posting to Iraq on the list for a 2 year unaccompanied hardship posting in Buttcrackistan. No sense in firing them. They become martyrs the press will flock to.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
These guys come from privilaged backgrounds, went to Ivey League schools and dont know the meaning of sacrifice because they have never had to endure anything. Its very competitive to get into the state department so lets give all the other people who want there jobs, like me, a shot at going over there. I would love to see some job openings at the FSO positions.

At least they taught us to spell in the Ivey League.