• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

State Department Air Wing

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty sure DynCorp just does the contract maintenance - like they do at NAWDC.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I knew about DynCorp's work but I didn't realize they were flying Phrongs.

From the article:
"The Air Wing’s fleet of more than 20 ex-U.S. Marine Corps Boeing Vertol CH-46E Sea Knights, which it operate predominantly in Afghanistan, have similar features. These blue-and-white painted aircraft are the ones that provide the shuttle service, known as Embassy Air, to and from Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul to the American embassy compound just two miles away."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

That's not what the article said. While DynCorp may have Phrogs, the aircraft in the article are owned by State. Who flies them may be a different matter.

DynCorp is one of many contractors (or "other") that are linked to the various aircraft flying across the non-DoD. A quick perusal through JSFirm will give you hints to others.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That's not what the article said. While DynCorp may have Phrogs, the aircraft in the article are owned by State. Who flies them may be a different matter.

DynCorp is one of many contractors (or "other") that are linked to the various aircraft flying across the non-DoD. A quick perusal through JSFirm will give you hints to others.
I wasn't clear. I meant to imply that I was not aware CH-47's were in use without reference to who is flying them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I wasn't clear. I meant to imply that I was not aware CH-47's were in use without reference to who is flying them.

Gotcha. And don't forget Columbia's 234 and 107 aircraft, as well, although they aren't really the same "off-the-shelf" hardware that DoD uses and have had some upgrades (engines, I think is the big one).

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

From the article:
"The Air Wing’s fleet of more than 20 ex-U.S. Marine Corps Boeing Vertol CH-46E Sea Knights, which it operate predominantly in Afghanistan, have similar features. These blue-and-white painted aircraft are the ones that provide the shuttle service, known as Embassy Air, to and from Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul to the American embassy compound just two miles away."
Some of the nicest '46's I have ever laid eyes on. They took the finest airframes at AMARC and refurbished / upgraded the hell out of the airframe and avionics - producing incredibly reliable, surprisingly low maintenance workhorses. The Marine 46E fleet was at its finest just as they were divesting of their Phrogs and bringing V-22's online at scale. I've climbed inside one and was thoroughly impressed, "blue whale" paint job notwithstanding.