• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stash Jobs at Whiting?

The Phiz

pilot
So I report to Pcola in late June for API, and have to do IFS first. I've been told different stories about what to do when I get there. I have been told to lie low and fly under the 'stash job radar' for as long as possible, and have been told to just volunteer for one that isn't so bad. My buddies that are already there have quickly been given stash jobs so it seems that I will probably be given one as well, making me more apt to volunteer.

I will be living in Milton, about 40 mins from NAS Pensacola, and only 10 from Whiting, and was wondering how possible it would be to get a stash job in Whiting, and if so, what types there could be?

Also, hate me for asking..but anyone know the current wait for IFS/API?

Thanks

peachesnel

About getting stashed at Whiting: just ask. I know they do the reverse for guys who live in Pcola and are waiting to class up for helo advanced.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
Staffing of the required positions at NASC comes first. As I was finishing up IFS, I was trying to set myself up with a stash job at Whiting since I live in Milton. The standing orders at the time I "detached" from A-pool were "Find yourself something to do, or take what we give you". Unfortunately, A-pool was also starting to dwindle at that time, so no joy. It's a tough call right now. A-pool is TINY, but then again supposedly the academy and rotc kids are flooding in any day now so you might get lucky with an abundance of labor.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Staffing of the required positions at NASC comes first. As I was finishing up IFS, I was trying to set myself up with a stash job at Whiting since I live in Milton. The standing orders at the time I "detached" from A-pool were "Find yourself something to do, or take what we give you". Unfortunately, A-pool was also starting to dwindle at that time, so no joy. It's a tough call right now. A-pool is TINY, but then again supposedly the academy and rotc kids are flooding in any day now so you might get lucky with an abundance of labor.

Some might be flooding in shortly. The rest of us are all awaiting orders still. Wondering if we're going to be waiting until the next FY or if they are still just sorting things out.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unlike past years, this year they're sending the majority of the new academy graduates down at the same time, especially those that aren't IFS complete. Their check in date is either the 24th or the 26th, so you should see a noticeable increase in the size of A-Pool very soon.

The Phiz

pilot
So if my goal is to get through IFS to API as quickly as possible, I want to be all checked in before the academy guys? Or will that not nessesarily help me?

Random Task

pilot
Class up dates are based on a combination of weeks onboard, commission date and good/bad juju depending on what variety you were issued.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^^What he said. There's really no way to determine it. Example: I waited three weeks as an SNFO to class up for API (already IFS complete when I got here). My friend (also an SNFO), who checked in a month later waited four months. Not screwing up in A-Pool definitely helps though.

McBuff

Sees the light
Not screwing up in A-Pool definitely helps though.

Word

FWIW, every Thursday muster includes an "If you don't have a stash job, you need to see me immediately after muster". I suppose you could just keep lying about it, but that might be a good way to end up working the q-deck in whites. As of right now, it seems that everyone gets stashed.