• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Starting out as a reserve officer

ACMAR

I will try to be brief. I am trying to get into OCS this January. My PFT score was a 263, which my recreuiter said was not high enough to be considered competative. I am going to train as hard as humanly possible this week to bring it up to a 280, but I only have until next Friday to do it.

Another option that he said I should consider is entering as a reserve officer. I have my doubts, because I am not looking for a simotanious military and civilian career. I also want to be stationed further than 200 miles from my home. And the longer commitment also has me pondering if I could end up committing myself for more than 3 tours of combat duty.

Does anybody here have any suggestions. I don't know if I should submit my application with a higher PFT score next week and likely have to try again in May, or if I should just go and get my foor in the door. Any advice would be appreciated.

8WOOD

Hey I've only been through OCS so I don't know for 100%, but
I have never heard of a "reserve officer," and I don't think one exists unless you've served your first 3.5 year contract.

As for your pft. It all depends on how packed OCS is. If there's a lot of spots open you'll make it. Just make sure you get it up near 285-300 for OCS--otherwise the first 4 weeks are going to SUCK. Also if you're a bit chubby you need to have a higher pft, or loose the weight.

Additionally, there were people in my platoon who shipped with 250-260 pft scores and failed the first PFT and got sent back home. You want to be higher just in case you have a bad day.

sanders

I am at TBS right now. There are 2 reserve officers in our company of 300. I assume this means they will finish TBS and enter the reserves right away. I don't know anything else about the program. And your PFT score is not bad, it is higher than mine was when I picked up my contract. However, I think the number of openings at OCS has decreased, making them more competitive. A buddy of mine got I believe a 230-240 when he picked up his contract less than a year ago so just do the best you can on it and hopefully it will work out.

Markg

Ocs

If you get selected, the board is looking at your application and deciding based off of it, that you have what it takes to get through OCS. The same goes for the OSO, he wont deal with anyone and send them to OCS unless he is convinced that person is capable of developing into a Marine officer. IMHO, you should submit you package for January, and hope for the best. If you dont get selected, so be it, all the OSO would do is push your application to the boards for OCC 204 (Summer 2010). You have nothing to lose. Just follow whatever your OSO tells you, he/she is your guide. Oh and one more thing, you will come to learn that OCS is largely a mental challenge. So while a high PFT is neccessary to get selected nowadays, it is not neccessary for you to get through OCS once down there, although the better your physical fintess is, the less painful the whole experience will be for you.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Hey I've only been through OCS so I don't know for 100%, but...

These are the most irritating phrases on aw.com. Invariably they precede terrible advice that is factually incorrect.

8WOOD

These are the most irritating phrases on aw.com. Invariably they precede terrible advice that is factually incorrect.

Hey no one had answered him yet. So I was putting my two cents in. I'd rather say i'm not 100% sure and give "some advice" then nothing at all. Next time i'll just leave the 100% out so the information doesn't irritate you.

Clux4

Banned
Hey no one had answered him yet. So I was putting my two cents in. I'd rather say i'm not 100% sure and give "some advice" then nothing at all. Next time i'll just leave the 100% out so the information doesn't irritate you.

That right there is the problem. No one is handing out prizes for effort. The man/woman wants solid information. How would you like to make a life decision based on someones .......

To the OP, the OCC-R is a relatively new program and the population is small. Since the FY just started, I cannot imagine that they have met all their numbers. But be mindful that you will not be able to jump-ship to Active Duty should you decide you want to be a full-time Marine. The pipe-line is pretty much the same as Active Duty except you know what MOS's you are likely to get.

ACMAR

Thanks for the replies. This program seems to be so new that it's tough getting information. I'm coming to the conclusion that if I want to be a full time Marine, I need to submit to be a full time Marine, not a reservist. My dilemma is that I know my PFT will get me in as a reservist, and it's up in the air as an officer and it's getting tough to live at home and it will suck having to wait another 5 month's. I'm gonna give it my all on this next pft and see what happens.

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Just for a little historical perspective this sort of thing has happened before. Meaning officers going straight to a reserve unit following TBS.

When I attended TBS (04-68), about 1/2 of the graduates were going straight to reserve units. Very small class by today's standards - about 135 IIRC.