• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Starting NROTC as a sophomore

Noahdexter

Hey, I’m 21 currently in the army reserves

I have a few questions on whether I can get the NROTC scholarship as a college sophomore. My ACT is not great and I have not taken the SAT. My GPA is currently a 3.8. If not I am looking at other options and mentorship on how to become a navy officer in aviation.

Thanks in advance for a questions answered!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. But, you will need to join a unit to be eligible. Talk to your school’s NROTC, fill out the paperwork, and adjust as necessary.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Simple answer: yes.

Complex answer:
1. You need to be at a college that has an NROTC
2. You can join as a non-scholarship student (College Program), and vie for a scholarship. You will need to complete freshman and sophomore Naval Science classes.
3. You must be on scholarship prior to starting your Junior year.
4. NROTC advisor can answer all your questions and help you with the process. It can be a simple phone call or an in-person visit.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Simple answer: yes.

Complex answer:
1. You need to be at a college that has an NROTC
2. You can join as a non-scholarship student (College Program), and vie for a scholarship. You will need to complete freshman and sophomore Naval Science classes.
4. NROTC advisor can answer all your questions and help you with the process. It can be a simple phone call or an in-person visit.

This, all of this. OP talk to your school‘s Navy ROTC unit.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Very doable. If not immediately available, do a year as a College Program and apply for 2 year scholarship.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I did CP my freshman year, mainly because I missed the scholarship application window. I had been a transfer student, coming from 2 years at a part 141 aviation/flight school program at another college, with enough transfer credits to make me a “sophomore” upon entry. However i just started as a freshman as far as my NROTC unit was concerned. If i recall all of that correctly at least :) Applied the spring of my “Freshman” year, and received a scholarship shortly thereafter. Granted, that was 21 years ago this fall, but it sounds like the general organization and requirements/timeline hasn’t changed. Like others have said, have to be on scholarship by junior year or you go away……at least that was the case then

edited for initial lack of memory. I do know for a fact that i was in college for a total of 6 1/2 years without any graduate school to my name :) Lotta house parties though

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That kinda sucks, College Program was a nice option if you didn't want to do the Math and Physics requirements.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That kinda sucks, College Program was a nice option if you didn't want to do the Math and Physics requirements.
Let me caveat that: You must be on Advance Standing (College Program getting paid) or NROTC scholarship by start of Junior year. Advance Standing students are not required to take calculus and calculus-based physics unless it's part of their degree plan.