• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Starting API

woodfinx

I start OCS in March which (pending any snags) should have me out sometime in June. My recruiter told me recently guys have been waiting about 2-3 months to start in Pensacola (not sure if he was talking about IFS or API).

Lately I have been trying to iron out the details on a small trip with my significant other in July but would like a better idea of the whole post OCS limbo before I do.

I won't have to do IFS (prior experience) so what will my check-in procedures at API be and is it something I will do when ready or is the date assigned? (Don't want to pay for a trip only to find out that I have to be in Pensacola midway through.)

I know, it's a trifle thing to worry about, but I plan on proposing to this girl after I finish OCS. I know flight school is going to take up a severe amount of time, and I would just like to get to spend some quality time together before I start working for the wings.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
What is the point of this post? I don't see a "?" anywhere, so I'm assuming you're just letting us all know the situation.

On a general note, I would caution you to think carefully about your relationship, your plans for each other during flight school and the lack of "flexibility" that you will discover goes along with being a Naval Officer. Just because there is "limbo" here and there does not mean you are available to go on a honeymoon with your significant other. Further more, just because OCS "should" be done some time around June does not mean it will be done. It's done when you graduate, and that's dependent on you.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you are trying to plan anything beyond OCS at this point, you are in the COMPLETELY wrong mindset in preparation for what awaits. You will soon learn that you shouldn't be thinking beyond CHECKIN at OCS.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
I won't have to do IFS (prior experience) so what will my check-in procedures at API be and is it something I will do when ready or is the date assigned? (Don't want to pay for a trip only to find out that I have to be in Pensacola midway through.)
After finding your question above...

Ok, so your mileage will vary. You'll learn all about this at OCS, but it generally goes as follows. You have a certain amount of days that the Navy will pay you to travel to Pensacola without going into your leave. After that, you start digging into leave and going negative (possibly). There is no set rule on this, but if you go negative and you are NPQ'd later, you will have to return the cash to the Navy. And it'll be a lot longer before you can take vacations again. For myself, I had to report in the month of January, with the last possible day on the 28. That afforded me about two weeks from the date of graduation, not including the travel time that the Navy gave me. I could have burned through it and gone way negative into my leave. Instead, I took a few days to find an apartment and organize a bit (with my wife). You can obviously use all that time or none of it, but you have to check in on time.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I had prior flight time, went to OCS, finished in twelve weeks...I got married the day before API. I'm in advanced now and the wife is still waiting for her honeymoon. The only trips you can really take are possibly whatever is within driving distance on the weekend. You will quickly get a stash job and probably knock out your DIVOLC course. I had to get my wisdom teeth out too...so they always find something for you to do.

Right now word on the street is things are moving pretty quickly...so count on either Xmas leave or when you get your wings to put together any type of elaborate trip.

woodfinx

Appreciate the answers guys (and the scenario Sooner). It really helps.

In retrospect I should of just asked "What's the process between OCS and API?" but I appreciate you guys letting this be my livejournal for a minute, I'll learn. :icon_smil

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Echo what OU said. Be flexible and explain to her to be the same.

HueyHornet75

pilot
OU,
After almost 9 years, my wife is still waiting on her honeymoon. HaHa. She has lots of bling to make up for it, but I'm guessing she'll get a honeymoon when I retire or if I PCS to HI. Proposed after OCS, married during TBS (rocking geo-bachelor the whole time). 2 weeks between TBS grad and API class up, 1 week between API and primary, 2 weeks to PCS from winging to SERE/FRS, and the bullet train has not stopped yet. I warned her of all that and she's a great sport. Woofinx, hopefully your girl is as understanding-you're joining a gun club. I don't know how strong your relationship is, but test the waters with a little distance training. If it doesn't work out, you got the Pensacola debs waiting, and you've saved yourself lots of heartache, time and money (which you can use on booze, nice rides, and phat aviator watches). Take your 'trip' now.