• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Standard FNG questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadOn

'Aight, here goes. I have a rekindled interest in USMC aviation, which probably seems a little fickle to those who are Marines. I fully understand the mindset required to fly in the Corps, and have very basic knowledge of the path to commission. I am active duty AF right now, as an enlisted flyer, already knocked out my PPL, and took the ASTB a few years back (not sure how long scores are valid). Basically, I'm qualified - or will be as soon as get in shape. (I *am* in the AF, remember.) I don't think the Gunny at the OSO was necessarily feeding me a line of sh*t, but every recruiter has a little recruiter in them, and I'm looking for some straight poop on flying in the Marines. Basically, I want to fight and fly, and I'll do whatever-by-God-it takes to do it. So, what's the deal folks - what sucks? What's cool? Overwhelming numbers of Marine pilots getting a certain airframe (jet/helo/prop/etc.)? Fire away.

SNA Russell

DeadOn,

Frumby probably has the most knowledge. He's around here some where. I've heard the VAST majority of Marine pilots fly helos.

-Rory

DeadOn

Thanks for the heads up Rory, he seems to be a go-to guy for USMC topics. Based on what I picked up a couple of years ago learning about Marine flying, I think it's definately safe to say chances are you are going to be a rotor head if you fly for them. I suppose you can learn to love anything. I know everyone who *is* tells everyone who *wants to be* not to have any preconceptions about what you want to fly, because you don't know if you'll hurl everytime you pull G's or be bored to death in 130's - until you've done some flying. I think that is true, but I think some people have a little better insight than others. I've been flying for 4 years military and managed to pick up my PPL along the way. (Yeah I know, who gives a d*mn.) I may not know exactly what I want to fly, but I do know that I would be seriously bummed if it couldn't deliver weapons (and I don't mean on a pallet, either.) So, Frumby - sounds like you're the dude. Any insight?

Fly. Fight. Win.

Status
Not open for further replies.