• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sta-21?

navymech

Steve Wilkins said:
...or want to for the right reasons.

Like becoming a mustage? I enlisted because deep down inside, I think it will make me a better officer in the long run. No offence to the excellent men and women who went the ROTC/USNA route, but I think an officer who is going to lead sailors should have first walked in the shoes of those being lead. It gives that individual a better perspective of what these sailors are there for, and what values they need to succeed as American sailors. I think a mustang isn't just another officer from which a sailor follows orders, but a mentor and a person who has been there before, and seen it through their own eyes.

I could be wrong. But I still want to be a squid. :)

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I hope this was your idea and not some recruiters...
That would really fit nicely into his or her plans...
I think you got the old bait and switcheroo...

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
Do It For You!!!!

Steve Wilkins said:
...or want to for the right reasons.

Yeah, Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with being enlisted. I have known many people that are happy with being enlisted and love their jobs. But there is a limited amount that you can do as an enlisted member. You will always have a similar job everywhere you go. But as you move up the ranks you will get different parts of that job. Unless you cross rate or wait a few years and the NAVY will phase out your current rate and make you become something else. Seems like that is happening to alot of people right now. Even my old rate is going away. The NAVY needs enlisted members so if you enjoy that, then go ahead more power to you, but if you want to become an officer there is no reason to enlist first unless that is what YOU want to do and I emphasize YOU for a reason. NOT THE RECRUITER

S.O.B.

pilot
Brett327 said:
Arguably the worst way to get to a commission, and as noted, STA-21 is not an option for you You would essentially be applying for OCS just like you are now, except you will have a bunch of limitations placed upon you as to when you can apply. Take your licks and reapply as soon as you're eligible. Whatever indiscretions you've engaged in, assuming they're of a legal consequence, will show up the next time around, so be prepared to face that music.

Brett

As far as OCS what limitations are you referring to? Unless things have changed a lot it’s a very simple process and you find out if you’re selected rather quickly (4 weeks or so). Also I don’t think there are any deadlines and you know exactly what your designator will be prior to attending.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
S.O.B. said:
As far as OCS what limitations are you referring to? Unless things have changed a lot it’s a very simple process and you find out if you’re selected rather quickly (4 weeks or so). Also I don’t think there are any deadlines and you know exactly what your designator will be prior to attending.

I think he's referring to enlisting with a bachelor's degree. For example, applying from the fleet, you'll need an endorsement from your CO, and you aren't going to be able to get that fresh out of boot camp.

S.O.B.

pilot
^^ Probably true but if you are just going to sit around for a year I would go ahead and enlist. It’s just one year closer to retirement and some valuable experience. I certainly wouldn’t go nuke. AW maybe?