• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sta-21?

TheMattAttack

Hey all,

I went in and spoke with a recruiter today. He had me take a practice asvab test. After seeing my score he immdeiately wanted to have me do STA-21 and enter into the nuke program. My only problem with this is obviously I want to fly. I don't see how nukes can get me a pilot slot. Maybe someone can elaborate for me and give me a brief rundown of how all of this works. The guy did a poor job of explaining. The first thing I told him is that i wanted to be an officer, although he was more interested in enlisting me. I'm completely lost with this whole situation. Any help and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
DO NOT ENLIST IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY IN COLLEGE AND YOU WANT TO BE AN OFFICER.

Find an officer recruiter, STA-21 is a commissioning program for active duty sailors. If you're currently in college, find an Officer Programs Officer to talk about BDCP/OCS. One of my buddies who is an S-3 pilot said that while he was in college an enlisted recruiter said he should "join the navy and he can finish college while in the service." Those guys are hard up for quotas and don't have your best interest in mind. In your case, it looks like you're in college, so try to get into BDCP...there are plenty of threads in that forum.

Heck, at your stage, trying to pick up a 3-yr or 2-yr ROTC scholarship is still an option.

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/colleges.cfm

San Diego State and USD have units, while UCSD is a crosstown affiliate with USD

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Matt,

PM this guy's name, rate, and phone number please along with your full name. He was attempting to do the ol' bait and switcheroo on you. Fortunately for you (and others who see this), you have AW to steer you right. The recruiter you talked to needs to be talked to about his tactics.

Edit: let me know in your PM what city and state you talked to this guy in so I know what recruiting district he's in.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
DO NOT enlist with the idea that you'll be going for a commissioning program unless all other routes are closed to you.
Storefront recruiters do not want to send you to an officer recruiter because it takes away from his own quotas. Find an OSO.

Dont do it

There is alot of nukes here at nsi that went straight from their A school into STA-21, but save yourself all the trouble of bootcamp, A school, and applying to STA21, finish college and try to pick up one of those NROTC scholarships.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
This is the stuff that really gets me upset. Recruiters like this are what give people a bad taste. Glad to see that you're taking an interest in this Steve, as a phone call from someone like myself would have zero effect. While STA-21 is an outstanding program, it is not a program that someone should enlist with the plans of going into it. Matt, take the others advice here, don't enlist if your intentions are to become an officer. There are much better paths. Anyone in my shoes will tell you that. I have no regrets, but I enlisted under different circumstances, and becoming an officer with the opportunity of being an aviator was only a dream.

LoneSailor

TheMattAttack said:
Hey all,

... he immdeiately wanted to have me do STA-21 and enter into the nuke program...

Don't let this guy push you to do what HE wants you to do. Besides, I think they get some kind sort of incentive for getting NUKE candidates.

Steve, I'd be interested to know what the recruiter says if you actually get a hold of him.

Sayre

Not sure if it's still the case, but when I came in nukes counted for two people when trying to meet the quotas. So yes, there's definitely an incentive for the deception. Sure it was mentioned that a lot of nukes got picked up for STA-21 but a lot of nukes applied for STA-21 and were turned down. Go see an officer recruiter.

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
Thisguy said:
San Diego State and USD have units, while UCSD is a crosstown affiliate with USD
The main office is located at USD (619-260-4811). The office at SDSU is kind of a satellite of USD's. Yeah, UCSD is a crosstown affiliate as are PLNU and CSUSM if any of those interest you.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Sayre said:
Not sure if it's still the case, but when I came in nukes counted for two people when trying to meet the quotas. So yes, there's definitely an incentive for the deception. Sure it was mentioned that a lot of nukes got picked up for STA-21 but a lot of nukes applied for STA-21 and were turned down. Go see an officer recruiter.
There is no truth to the two for one deal. I found this out by asking several former recruiters who are now STA 21 OC's, or one who is an RP2 I met a short while ago. I'm not sure if nuke referrals counted for two for the recruit who was referring, but I know the recruiters get no special anything for putting in nukes.

BORTPBYZ

Well I find my self in a very similar situation. I have completed college (May 13 2006) and have been reading these posts for sometime. I spoke with both Enlistment? and Officer recruiters. Anybody with a few years of college should be able to WIZARD the practice asvab. If you want a reality check go take your OAR, AQR, FOFAR and your PFAR. I scored a 49 -6-6-6 respectivley. My problem is I used to be a little jerk and got into a little trouble. This happend the day after I submitted my app. to my O recruiter. So instead of embarissing myself I pulled my app. and reconsidered all options.
the bottom line is I cant re-apply until next year for OCS. However my enlistment recruiter told me they can get me out of here much sooner. I wanted to do this Navy thing for as long as I can remember. As I grew and matured I realized that certain, lets call them disatisfactions with the real world, convinced me that I wanted to be an Officer in the Navy. Now I am at the point ware I want to serve regaurdless if it is some job I am super over qualified for. My recruiter also told me Nuke this and Nuke that but I have a strong interest in Avation. I have done enough research over the last two years to realize that my e recruiter would no manipulate me into a program I would not like. This is the very first time I have ever posted here @ AW. I hate to end this by saying that the STA-21 could be my life line. Any feedback from anybody would be fantastic. feel free to PM me.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BORTPBYZ said:
Well I find my self in a very similar situation. I have completed college (May 13 2006) and have been reading these posts for sometime. I spoke with both Enlistment? and Officer recruiters. Anybody with a few years of college should be able to WIZARD the practice asvab. If you want a reality check go take your OAR, AQR, FOFAR and your PFAR. I scored a 49 -6-6-6 respectivley. My problem is I used to be a little jerk and got into a little trouble. This happend the day after I submitted my app. to my O recruiter. So instead of embarissing myself I pulled my app. and reconsidered all options.
the bottom line is I cant re-apply until next year for OCS. However my enlistment recruiter told me they can get me out of here much sooner. I wanted to do this Navy thing for as long as I can remember. As I grew and matured I realized that certain, lets call them disatisfactions with the real world, convinced me that I wanted to be an Officer in the Navy. Now I am at the point ware I want to serve regaurdless if it is some job I am super over qualified for. My recruiter also told me Nuke this and Nuke that but I have a strong interest in Avation. I have done enough research over the last two years to realize that my e recruiter would no manipulate me into a program I would not like. This is the very first time I have ever posted here @ AW. I hate to end this by saying that the STA-21 could be my life line. Any feedback from anybody would be fantastic. feel free to PM me.
Arguably the worst way to get to a commission, and as noted, STA-21 is not an option for you You would essentially be applying for OCS just like you are now, except you will have a bunch of limitations placed upon you as to when you can apply. Take your licks and reapply as soon as you're eligible. Whatever indiscretions you've engaged in, assuming they're of a legal consequence, will show up the next time around, so be prepared to face that music.

Brett

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
Think About What You Want, And Go For It

A very similar thing happened to me, and I spent 4 years paying for it. I was enrolled in college, and enlisted under the assumption that I would be able to become an officer once completing my degree. I was recently picked up for the STA-21 2006 and I am in training right now. But it took me 3 years to get accepted. I am now in the works to becoming a pilot. DON'T ENLIST, UNLESS YOU HAVE TO.