• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chris1982

Hello everyone, I would first off like to say I am new to this forum so please take it easey on me with any of my questions I may ask. I'm currently in the TAR in the Navy located NAS Willow Grove in PA. I'm an E-5 with 3 years of TIS. I want to get started now for the STA program for the next fiscal year. I have been to the STA website and read all about it. However, what or where should I start first. I need to take either the SAT's or ACT's. Which of the two should I take? Also, I'm having my High School Transcripts sent to me this week to start the package. I need to take the ASTB but where do I take it and what could I use to study. I'm currently going to college at a community college but should I be taking certain classes to help my chances. I am an AT cal tech so I have a decent amount of credits through the Navy but I don't want to have a degree in engineering, I rather have a degree in Computer Science. Basically, what can I do to make my chances better then anyone elses. No offense, but I really want to make it. What kinds of things do they look for at the Officer and CO boards. If anyone has any insight please share. Thanks for the help.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
First I would take the SAT. Mainly because all you have to do is concentrate on math and english unlike the ACT which covers other areas as well. Take the SAT/ACT first mainly because it's a single point requirement. Meaning, if you don't have a score that passes then nothing else matters. Also, if you take it now and don't have the score required it leaves you time to take it again prior to the deadline. The ASTB can be set up with any officer recruiting station. Is your degree a 2 year or 4 year? If it's a 4 year then you don't qualify for STA-21 and would have to go through OCS. As far as the boards go it varies from command to command. There are several threads here that show some of the questions that may be encountered at a board. From my experience (this was my second time applying and was selected for pilot option) they look at your determination and the WHY you want to be an officer. Also they may come up with some scenario questions. Think of the trials and tribulations you have gone through so far in your career and what you've learned from them. IE dificult leadership positions how did you overcome problems in achieving your goals. If there is anything else post it. There are many people here willing to help out.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Why do you need to take an ASTB? I never took one.
I'll try to hit on some things FC2 didn't get to.
Also, I would recommend the ACT over the SAT. I've taken both, and while the SAT was nearly 6 years ago, I do remember the ACT being a little easier. The reading comprehension and science portions of the ACT don't count towards STA 21 competition or elegibility, so I wouldn't worry about them.
Absolutely do not finish the degree if you want STA 21, however your chances may be better if you do finish and decide to compete for OCS.
To be competitive in STA, try to make sure all the core classes are out of the way- Humanities, calculus, anything that you can be guaranteed will transfer.
I hope you have awards, good evals, or some LOC's or LOA's. A CO's recommendation is REQUIRED, so see if he/she will give you one. A letter of recommendation from an O5 or higher is extremely helpful, one from an O4 or lower can't hurt, but isn't so powerful.
The essay is very important. A statement of purpose... one page to tell the selection board who you are, why you want to be an officer, why you would be a good officer, your experience, etc., all without seeming too self-absorbed.

On another note, I used to work near Willow Grove in Conshohocken, I'm from Philadelphia... is there a good commissary or exchange up at Willow Grove?

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
My hubby didn't take the ASTB, I just asked him, and he doesn't even know what it is. Also, I agree with etnuke about the ACT over the SAT. My husband took the SAT awhile ago (way back in high school) and only did marginally well- not a good representation of his actual aptitude. He took the ACT to submit with his STA package.
My personal advice to you, as someone who has a bachelor's degree, is to get the gen ed requirements out of the way. The last thing you want to deal with the last semester of your senior year is some BS basketweaving class that you should have taken your freshman year. But, as the other guy posted (sorry, can't remember the name) you can't be in a 4 year program and apply for STA at the same time.

charliecantsurf

bravo zulu to all that were selected, best of luck in your endeavors. I received the disappointing news that I am a non-select for pilot this year. It was my first attempt. I have been in the navy for a little over a year now and working towards my aircrew wings in the 53 community. I pulled an, 1180 on my sat's, a 48 and straight 6's on the astb, and the thumbs up from my CO. I have only had one eval, but it was an ep. I also have about 63 credits. Right now, I am taking pre-calc and a couple other courses. I also volunteer often out in the community. So please, any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
For those who aren't aware the ASTB (Aviation Selection Test Battery, I think) is only required for those seeking Pilot or NFO option. So, those of you choosing Nuke or some other option are not required to take it.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Grab a Princeton Review book if you decide to take the SAT. Made a world of difference for me.

Good luck!

C

chris1982

I guess I really didn't state what option I wanted to do for the STA-21 program. I want to do the pilot option so I will need to take the ASTB test. Also should I just pick the pilot option or pick the core option as a secondary option to go with. I really want the pilot slot but if that prevents me from being selected I could go with the core slot and hopefully pick up the pilot slot up during school right? Also I'm not even close to finishing out my degree. I was saying that I was taking a few classes to help my chances for the program.

How long does it usually take to be selected? year or 2 or more? I want to do it right the first time so I can get on my way. Is there something puts you over the top of everyone? Sorry for all the questions but its better knowing then not.

C

chris1982

etnuclearsailor said:
On another note, I used to work near Willow Grove in Conshohocken, I'm from Philadelphia... is there a good commissary or exchange up at Willow Grove?

There is a exchange here but its a small one. Enough for any uniform items you may need. Commissary is being built starting next year though.

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
As far as I know there isn't any one thing that will put you over the top. College helps out a great deal. But, you also need a strong personal statement as well as CO endorsement. I would say those are probably the most important two items in an application. Followed closesly by the interviews. Again this is just an opinion that I have. As far as how long it took I was selected on my second attempt, some are selected earlier some later and some never. As far as going for core as well as pilot I guess that depends. If all you want is pilot then don't select core. If you select core as well as pilot you will still have a chance for pilot on your junior year. However, there is no guarantee for pilot. So if you would not want to be anything else then I would not select core.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
As CAPT Rubenstein told us, you are plain stupid if you don't put core as the second option.The application deadline is July 1, and the results are supposed to come out in October the same year. This year was a fluke, as the results were two days late.

C

chris1982

etnuclearsailor said:
As CAPT Rubenstein told us, you are plain stupid if you don't put core as the second option.

Why would you be plain stupid, if all you want is pilot? Also, you don't get commissioned until you go to OCS right? Someone was saying that once your degree was completed you become an officer on the spot, is that true or just a rumor?

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
chris1982 said:
Why would you be plain stupid, if all you want is pilot? Also, you don't get commissioned until you go to OCS right? Someone was saying that once your degree was completed you become an officer on the spot, is that true or just a rumor?

OCS is a completely separate commissioning source. In STA 21, the Candidate is part of the ROTC unit, and is commissioned upon graduation. Have you checked the webpage?

Status
Not open for further replies.