• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Selection Rates

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
It's a wonder to me how when ever someone suggest of helping another person on these forums, people attack the poster. It's like this is one big club and no one wants to tell another person how to get in. As officers go, I think that everyone who has the motivation, dedication, and drive to become and officer derserves the best chance they can get. As STA-21 packages go, it takes a crap load of time to get your package ready, all this time you could training and supporting your commands and all a package does is have you running around with your head cut off trying to figure out a way to get all your information together. I wish someone would have told me how to do it so I could have spent more time thinking about others and less time worrying about how I was going to figure out a puzzle of instructions. I would say that I was blessed to have all my information in my package correct and I couldn't have done it alone. I am more then thankful to those who supported me and I will never forget the importance of team work and friendships. I understand now that if others believe in your cause that you can do anything, even in 3 days ;)

I fully understand that there is practically no chance that anyone in here would change their views about anything that deals with selection, so I am not going to fight. I just wish someone on this forum would support others like myself who are willing to help others.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Stellar enough to get selected. I don't know about you but thats good enough for me.

As long as it's "good enough" for you. I guess that's all that matters. Is that the way you fix things also? Good enough for me, fly it sir. Personally I couldn't be satisfied with three days of work. That is not the way I would want to represent myself. I worked on my package for 4 years. I started it for ECP and submitted it for STA-21. Congratulations on getting accepted, and good luck at NSI.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
The point that I was trying to show others on this forum that may be trying to build a package, is that it can be done. Some may say that that they are not ready to submit their package for the boards, but why not take a chance? I don't fully understand why you took 4 years to complete your package when you could have been going to school that whole time and been done with your degree and been done with OCS?

Yes I would have loved to take more time on my package but as I said, I had no intention to apply for the FY08 but I'm sure glad I did.

future_sta21nfo

Accepted to STA-21 NFO...worried about physical

I went through a flight physical in April as I was considering applying for the Warrant Officer flight program. I went on Friday when results came out and found in my record that the flight surgeon that had examined me originally marked me as qualified, then crossed it out and marked Not Qualified, but for what reason, I don't know. Nothing was listed. I have High Blood pressure, which they said was waiverable because of my medication and I also had PRK (eye surgery) done in Bethesda in January 2006, which he also listed as waiverable. I slightly remember needing to get more documentation from Bethesda about my surgery, but I didn't follow through as my wife and I decided that it was STA-21 or OCS or nothing! Now I'm accepted, and worried sick that I won't pass the physical....and I'm not sure of the process, but it seems that if I fail, I'm out...completely! Anyone have any experience with this? I'm thinking it is a clerical thing, where I didn't turn in all the documentation, so I couldn't pass. I'm just not sure. Anyone with experience in this that could pass on a few words would be greatly appreciated!

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
The point that I was trying to show others on this forum that may be trying to build a package, is that it can be done. Some may say that that they are not ready to submit their package for the boards, but why not take a chance? I don't fully understand why you took 4 years to complete your package when you could have been going to school that whole time and been done with your degree and been done with OCS?

Yes I would have loved to take more time on my package but as I said, I had no intention to apply for the FY08 but I'm sure glad I did.

It's not really something to understand. It was a personal decision. I felt I should prove myself in my job first and foremost, because that is what I signed up to do. Then when I felt I had done enough, I submitted my package 1 time, and got accepted. Who knows with 4 days of effort you might have skipped the alt spot. Like I said it is personal preference. I don't really expect you to understand, because we obviously prefer different standards and quality of work.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I went through a flight physical in April as I was considering applying for the Warrant Officer flight program. I went on Friday when results came out and found in my record that the flight surgeon that had examined me originally marked me as qualified, then crossed it out and marked Not Qualified, but for what reason, I don't know. Nothing was listed. I have High Blood pressure, which they said was waiverable because of my medication and I also had PRK (eye surgery) done in Bethesda in January 2006, which he also listed as waiverable. I slightly remember needing to get more documentation from Bethesda about my surgery, but I didn't follow through as my wife and I decided that it was STA-21 or OCS or nothing! Now I'm accepted, and worried sick that I won't pass the physical....and I'm not sure of the process, but it seems that if I fail, I'm out...completely! Anyone have any experience with this? I'm thinking it is a clerical thing, where I didn't turn in all the documentation, so I couldn't pass. I'm just not sure. Anyone with experience in this that could pass on a few words would be greatly appreciated!

I would just confront medical about it. Usually if they NPQ you they have to give a reason. Maybe you just had to go back and re do some blood-work they never told you about. That happened to me. FYI don't drink 8 glasses of lemonade the night before your physical. Your sugar count will be through the roof.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Stellar enough to get selected. I don't know about you but thats good enough for me.

Works for me too, I am however highly curious about how you got everything done in just 3 days. Did you already have your high school, college, and official SMART transcript just lying around? Had you taken the ASTB, SAT, and/or ACT already just for fun? How did you get two boards together to interview you in just 3 days? Most packages take several months to put together at a minimum. It seems a little outlandish to get one together in ONLY 3 days. Once again, congratulations on your selection.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Works for me too, I am however highly curious about how you got everything done in just 3 days. Did you already have your high school, college, and official SMART transcript just lying around? Had you taken the ASTB, SAT, and/or ACT already just for fun? How did you get two boards together to interview you in just 3 days? Most packages take several months to put together at a minimum. It seems a little outlandish to get one together in ONLY 3 days. Once again, congratulations on your selection.

I'm curious about this too, because I started working on my package in November of 2006 (as soon as I returned from deployment) and it took me until June 15th 2007 (when my ESO finally mailed off my package) for the process to be complete on my end!!

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Wow, I was just posting about the stats, in case "others" behind we were interested... Talk about a THREAD JACK..
:icon_cryi:icon_cryi:D

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude

I was already putting my package together for the next year, making sure my "quality of work" would have been great. I showed my MO what I had done and asked him for his inputs. Since I was done with the hard part (personal statement, STA/ACT, letters of recommendations, ASTB score) he suggested I finish it. After a few phone calls I had my boards and since I had been working my a$$ off all year it wasn't any type of issue to get good recommendations. Before the boards I worked about 20 hours for the next two days on getting my papers together and checking everything over and over. The only reason the board would have had a question about my selection would have been my college grades since I wasn't accepted to any college yet, and my SMART transcripts were being updated at the time. My package only showed that I had about 30 credits when in reality I had over 65. Next time ill be ready and though I may not get picked up this year for the alternate spot, I have learned a lot and know what issues I need to correct for next years spot. I am more then happy that I submitted it this year.

I understand someones opinion that they are not ready to be an officer as I did the same. I waited many years before I started to work on my package because I knew I wasn't ready.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I was already putting my package together for the next year, making sure my "quality of work" would have been great. I showed my MO what I had done and asked him for his inputs. Since I was done with the hard part (personal statement, STA/ACT, letters of recommendations, ASTB score) he suggested I finish it. After a few phone calls I had my boards and since I had been working my a$$ off all year it wasn't any type of issue to get good recommendations. Before the boards I worked about 20 hours for the next two days on getting my papers together and checking everything over and over. The only reason the board would have had a question about my selection would have been my college grades since I wasn't accepted to any college yet, and my SMART transcripts were being updated at the time. My package only showed that I had about 30 credits when in reality I had over 65. Next time ill be ready and though I may not get picked up this year for the alternate spot, I have learned a lot and know what issues I need to correct for next years spot. I am more then happy that I submitted it this year.

I understand someones opinion that they are not ready to be an officer as I did the same. I waited many years before I started to work on my package because I knew I wasn't ready.

So, in reality, you worked on your package for more than 3 days.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
So, in reality, you worked on your package for more than 3 days.

As I said I wasn't in the position of bragging. I am sure there are others like yourself in this forum that are here for support or help in some way. All I said is I am willing to help those who want help. I am sorry that there are those who took it as bragging rights.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
As I said I wasn't in the position of bragging. I am sure there are others like yourself in this forum that are here for support or help in some way. All I said is I am willing to help those who want help. I am sorry that there are those who took it as bragging rights.

I know you weren't bragging, and I don't think anyone took it that way. I just think everyone was confused about how you could get a full package together from nothing in 3 days.

In fact, overall, the way have done things makes sense and should be a good model for others. You have been working on a package for quite awhile, thinking ahead, and putting all the pieces together. Keep up your methodical perseverance and top performance in your unit and you should be well placed for the board next year.