• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestDamnET

The name say's it all
Did anyone get picked up off their first package, or know of anyone who has? I hear a lot of people who went two or three times before getting picked up. I'd submit it as many times as it takes because I've been wanting to become a naval officer and pilot, and I'm aware it could take some time to improve my package (need my ESWS), but I'm working against time here. I'm 26 this year and my goal is the pilot option which requires a commission by the age of 29, I believe (in my situation).

I've completed my AAS, was selected for JSOQ for Quarter 1 this year and was recommended by the OPS officer to apply for this program. I had many leadership roles in HS, even though that was over 8 years ago. I also have several aviation credits from when I first started college and studied aeronautical technology to become a Part 141 private pilot. I'm hoping that my package is good enough that I get picked up the first time.

Does anyone think this is reasonable, and what recommendations would you give? Would the boards consider my age and desire to become a pilot when they interview me and review my package?

Thanks for your help.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
First, check out these threads, a lot of good info in them. Also just browse through the enlisted commissioning programs forum. Plenty of info there. Do a search on any questions that come to mind. If you don't find any answers then let us know, there are plenty of us here that would be happy to answer what we can based on our experiences.
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10086
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9508

Second, there are plenty of people here(currently at BOOST) that were selected on their first attempt.

No one can tell you what your chances are because things change all the time. I applied the first year and over 400 people were selected, I wasn't one of them. The second year only 186 were selected and I made it. There were few differences between my first and second package so I really don't know what put me over the top. It could have just been persistance.

Let me know if you come up with any other questions and I'll be more than happy to answer what I can.

ocjams

BestDamnET,

I gotta admit..those are impressive accolades. I got selected the first year of the program back in 02 and things may have changed since then. I graduate and get commissioned this May and I was selected for pilot, BUT, here's the thing... my opportunity to get selected for all of these things, doesn't mean that I had any more to offer than you do. My package wasn't any more impressive than yours is....I promise. Every sailor that applies to the program obviously has a good head on their shoulders and is just as ambitious as the next guy...but what will set you apart is the interview! Remember that. The interview with the board of officers and, more importantly, the CO's interview is what will make or break your package. You can't go to the board saying that you want to get commissioned so you can be a pilot....that's not good enough. I'll say what everyone else says...first and foremost, you're an officer - then a pilot. What the Navy wants is officers. Top notch, quality leaders...not someone who's doing it to fly for a living. Dont get me wrong...I'm not doubting your intentions or goals...but I'm just telling you what sort of mindset you should have going into the boards. In my opinion, they want to see someone articulate, comfortable, confident, with outstanding military bearing....oh and also extremely ambitious. Don't go in there and get choked up when they ask you questions just cuz you're sitting there with 0-5's and 0-6's. They wanna see someone who can impress them and deliver...on the spot. I'm sure you're well qualified for the program and good luck on your application for the program. If you need any more info, PM me. I'll be glad to help you out in any way I can. Oh by the way...I used to be an ET too....but I'm sure you're still "the best damn ET." just kidding

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
My husband got picked up off his first package. He's at NSI right now. I don't know if his age factored in the decision (other than that he had to get a waiver). I know his pacakge was ranked #2 out of 100+ at his command. I think his review boards or interviews (or whatever they're called) was a big factor in him getting selected, b/c as someone else already said- just about everyone who applies will submit an impressive package. The interviews are really your chance to set yourself apart from the rest.

BestDamnET

The name say's it all
Good info

Thanks for all the great info. I don't think I realized how important the interview process was to selection in this program.

Will the size of my command hurt or help my chances? I'm on a minesweeper, with a crew of 75 enlisted. From what I can tell, there are no other sailors here interested in applying for this program this year. I guess I'm worried that when the package is forwarded to the selection board, they'll see the command I'm coming from and automatically have a negative picture of me.

Also, how much weight do EVALS carry? I'm in my 4th year with the Navy, and my first couple years were spent in schools. (Basic, Tech Core, ET "A" School, then a 6 month "C" school). Most of my EVALS have been transfer EVALS. The worst thing is, at my C school the command there gives ALL students a promotable (3.6) which is a career killer, because it's extremely competitive for ET's advancement. I'm worried that promotable is going to come back to haunt me.

Sorry for all the questions at once. I'd ask the two STA-21 officers we have onboard, but the only advice they keep offering me is, "don't go SWO". Gee, thanks guys...

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I don't think the size of the command will have an impact on much. It can help but I don't think it will hurt. I came from a command with 36 sailors total on an Army post in New Mexico. I was 1 of 1 for the breakout. As far as evals go. As long as you show progression the P shouldn't hurt you. The officers looking at your evals will hopefully realize that most training commands send everyone off with a P or a not observed eval.

What will matter are your evals at your command. Are there good writeups? Do they show constant improvement? Starting with a P and moving up to MP,EP is a much better thing than starting with and EP and moving down to a MP. I'm not certain how much weight the evals hold and I don't think that there is anyone here that can anser that question for you, none of us sit on the board.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.