• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofytallguy

It is my understanding that each year, STA-21 applications are due by July 01, and reviewed in September. So therefore I would assume you have one chance each year. My question is this: Would it make more sense to send your application later so you have more time to build your qualifications and submit the best package... or do they consider them on a first come basis, so it would make more sense to get it in as early as possible, so long as your app is good?

Any opinion or experience with this? Thanks!

kaiangel

As long as your package is in before July 1 then you are fine. It does not help you one bit to have it in earlier, just make sure that you don't slack on getting it prepared. Furthermore, there is normally a period after the deadline in which you can send in additional info, such as awards or quals. Just take your time and make your package as complete and professional as possible.

Bushmaster

Question:

On the STA-21 website the education path is like this:

1.Selection
2.NSI
3.College
4.Commissioning

So there is NO OCS? Right after college graduation, you are commissioned?

Goofytallguy

2nd Question:

I've read that you can't use GI Bill benefits while in STA-21, but do you lose these benefits permanently? Are they still available when my Navy time is up? And if I lose them, do I simply lose the $1200 that I gave for the program, feeling all warm and fuzzy because of my generous deed while having a lighter wallet? Thanks again for any help!

~Eric

kaiangel

No, you dont lose the GI bill. Its true that you can't use it while in the program, but you can use it for masters work or something else.

trvsmrtn

pilot
And to answer the first question, no, you don't have to go through OCS, but you may have to participate in NROTC activities depending on what school you go to. Some NROTC units can be worse than OCS so choose your school wisely.

STA21pilot

The instruction for the STA-21 program usually doesn't get finallized until May of the Application year, so you have 2 months to primp and press, interview and mail. Although you should use the year's before instruction of make sure you have all the necessary parts prior to the instruction hitting the press, after that happens though it's a last minute MAD DASH!!!!!! Results come out in October, it's an eternity away...

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Another important note, if it applies...
You didn't mention what rate you are, but if you are eligible for an SRB, reenlist BEFORE you apply! If you re-up after your app submission date, and get and SRB, the Navy WILL take it back. And, I'm at NSI now, which is sorta like OCS, but much easier. Well, OK, maybe it's nothing like OCS, but we PT ALOT, so get in shape
BEFORE you get here!

trvsmrtn

pilot
Be extremely careful with the SRB's. If you reenlist before applying, and you are selected, you are not authorized to receive the remainder of your disbursements. If you do, you will have to pay it back. I have also seen situations where some guys have reenlisted right before the selection board, got into the pipeline, and then had to pay back the entire SRB. One of those guys made it through BOOST, but ended up having to go back to the fleet because he couldn't afford to pay back his SRB. I would recommend that if you are considering applying for STA-21, wait until the results are out. If you don't make, reenlist.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would have to agree with nfo2b, re-enlist prior to package submission for the SRB. That way they won't take away the initial lump sum, but you will not be entitled to the remainder after you submit your package and are selected.
my 2 cents!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
If you have any last minute awards or anything that might help your chances before the deadline, fax it in then send it through the fast mail possible. CNET should still use it to consider you. It worked for me. The only ROTC classes you will have to take after NSI is your CO's and XO's class.

Status
Not open for further replies.