• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Packages Here

brian_burrows

1st Timer FY10
I am making this thread in order to have a specific place for the FY10 applicants. This thread should be used for help with your Personal Statements, board questions, and any other things that could pop up during the package preparation. Good Luck All.

Attachments

• Burrows_Personal_Statement-Fraizer_revision_complete.doc
    27 KB · Views: 140

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Brian, fyi, the sticky up on top is for the FY10 applicants, good luck.

usnvaught

CEC option

Hi guys. This is my first post. I am an STG1 who is about to transfer back to sea. I am applying for STA21 for the first time. Unfortunately I don't have a substantial amount of college and I am too old to finish school before 29. So I decided to apply for the Civil Engineering Corps. It was either that or supply and I want to retire and build houses so I really would love to do it now. Anyway. I want to be competitive. I am #2 of 51 E-6s at the command. Getting great interviews will be no problem but where I am scared is impressing the board. I have no experience and no college background. How do I get these guys to take me seriously and say yes. I am a technician on sonar systems or at least I was in my junior days. But how do I break out. Or can I. Thanks.

Stick

pilot
words...but where I am scared is impressing the board. I have no experience and no college background. How do I get these guys to take me seriously and say yes. I am a technician on sonar systems or at least I was in my junior days. But how do I break out. Or can I. Thanks.

Don't worry about not having experience in the field you wish to go into. Plenty of people have little to no experience and still get selected for programs. Don't worry about no college either. I had no college when selected (well 3 credits, but that is pretty much nothing) and I have never flown a plane and was selected for pilot. Just remeber to sell yourself and be truthful in what you say. Use the search on here because there is plenty of great info.

RCL813

FY 09 CORE Selectee!
Yeah, I was selected as an FC1 with less than 10 credits, so I am pretty much starting from ground zero, and I got selected. No need to worry, just make sure you give them everything you have as far as quals and awards go and see how it plays out. You have as good a shot as anyone else. Thats they great thing about STA-21, you can me a SN with nothing and still stand a chance.

SandSailor

I read the first part of your paper then stopped.... you do not want to start on a low note.

I saw what you wanted to do you just need to aim at it differently. Talk up you shortfalls, show them in a more positive light with the solution or new expectation. Remember...No excuse just results... that will get you far..

As far as this thread goes... it is called a PERSONAL STATEMENT for a reason... it is supposed to be personal...it is supposed to come from you own heart and mind... yes you can have help editing it, that is what a great LDO, CWO, and prior enlisted is for. Just don't look for others key words or statements and re-use that..I'm afraid that is what this thread would become.

remember the old saying... you can't bullsh!t and Bullsh!tter.

Good luck, I wish you well!

Para

Hi guys. This is my first post. I am an STG1 who is about to transfer back to sea. I am applying for STA21 for the first time. Unfortunately I don't have a substantial amount of college and I am too old to finish school before 29. So I decided to apply for the Civil Engineering Corps. It was either that or supply and I want to retire and build houses so I really would love to do it now. Anyway. I want to be competitive. I am #2 of 51 E-6s at the command. Getting great interviews will be no problem but where I am scared is impressing the board. I have no experience and no college background. How do I get these guys to take me seriously and say yes. I am a technician on sonar systems or at least I was in my junior days. But how do I break out. Or can I. Thanks.
It will only take 2 years to get your degree. As an STG1 you should have plenty of lower level credits, and I would hope that you have your MTS as well. Get your degree, and apply for OCS, that's your best option.

I also recommend Supply Corps.

Stick

pilot
It will only take 2 years to get your degree. As an STG1 you should have plenty of lower level credits, and I would hope that you have your MTS as well. Get your degree, and apply for OCS, that's your best option.

I also recommend Supply Corps.

How can you say it will only take him 2 years to get his degree if he said that he doesn't have many credits? Just because he is a first class doesn't mean crap about college. Most colleges don't accept all of the things listed on a SMART transcript. I was picked up for STA-21 last year and had over 120 credits on my SMART and MTS, and 0 transfered. Depending on the degree he wants and how willing he is to load up on classes will determine if he can complete his degree in 2 years.

I would take classes and work towards the degree and going the OCS route while still applying for STA-21.

Para

How can you say it will only take him 2 years to get his degree if he said that he doesn't have many credits? Just because he is a first class doesn't mean crap about college. Most colleges don't accept all of the things listed on a SMART transcript. I was picked up for STA-21 last year and had over 120 credits on my SMART and MTS, and 0 transfered. Depending on the degree he wants and how willing he is to load up on classes will determine if he can complete his degree in 2 years.

I would take classes and work towards the degree and going the OCS route while still applying for STA-21.
I can say that because I'm a prior STG1 with my MTS. Electronics and Oceanography covered my science, I took a PACE History course, and took CLEPs for Math, English, and Humanities. UoP took all the courses it needed for my Associates, sans one course which only required an essay. I took 17 courses from them for my Bachelors, each course was 5 weeks.

OC/EMC

I can say that because I'm a prior STG1 with my MTS. Electronics and Oceanography covered my science, I took a PACE History course, and took CLEPs for Math, English, and Humanities. UoP took all the courses it needed for my Associates, sans one course which only required an essay. I took 17 courses from them for my Bachelors, each course was 5 weeks.

I think that the college that you want to attend will GREATLY determine your time requirement towards a degree. Many States have higher/lower standards than others. My two English composition CLEPS do not transfer into acceptable English composition credits within the State of Florida. That alone added another semester on to my sta-21 plans.

As far as CEC stuff, USNvaught, I was selected into CEC and I was a nuke electrician. I couldn't even spell C-B (or is it SEABEE?). Stick and I went to NSI with a STGC who also got selected CEC. We both got selected on our second try. You just have to stick with it. Remember, they are looking more at your potential, than your knowledge. They make CEC officers right out of the Acadamy with no problem. You don't think you are better qualified (in any rate) to be a CEC officer than an Annapolis selected civilian? One day on active duty makes you better quilifed.:)

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN

I got my BS in Business Management from UoP, took me 2yrs 8mos as a PS2... and I never went to "A" school (came in undes SN). UoP accepted 39 military credits. I never applied for STA-21, didn't want to. I said the heck with STA-21 because I enjoyed the challange of completing my degree on AD. Last thing I wanted was to sit in a class room for 2 years or more when I could continue to build my leadship skills in the real Navy. That's how I saw it anyway... now I'm up for the April boards :D!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I got my BS in Business Management from UoP, took me 2yrs 8mos as a PS2... and I never went to "A" school (came in undes SN). UoP accepted 39 military credits. I never applied for STA-21, didn't want to. I said the heck with STA-21 because I enjoyed the challange of completing my degree on AD. Last thing I wanted was to sit in a class room for 2 years or more when I could continue to build my leadship skills in the real Navy. That's how I saw it anyway... now I'm up for the April boards :D!

Why would you not want to go to a real, physical college and be immersed with partying, college women, drinking, and more partying? Oh yeah you're still being paid too.

I just don't get it.

Stick

pilot
I think that the college that you want to attend will GREATLY determine your time requirement towards a degree. Many States have higher/lower standards than others. My two English composition CLEPS do not transfer into acceptable English composition credits within the State of Florida. That alone added another semester on to my sta-21 plans.

That is exactly what I mean. The individual college will tell you what they will accept. Just because the one you went to accepted credits doesn't mean they all will. I had over 120 credits on my SMART and MTS and I got no credit.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
Why would you not want to go to a real, physical college and be immersed with partying, college women, drinking, and more partying? Oh yeah you're still being paid too.

I just don't get it.

Real, physical college – UoP is real… if not, then I want to know what was that building I had drive to each week :confused:. Degree feels real… Navy seems to think its real too, they re-class’d me from HS grad to college grad. Must be smoke and mirrors :p.

Partying – in college, you just party in one area, on AD you we party all over the world! And I’d rather party with a bunch of Sailors then a bunch of college guys any day!

College women – well, what can I say… they love Sailors, even more then college boys.

Drinking – Uh, ever heard the term “drink like a Sailor”:icon_zbee? Enough said about that!

So, I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything…. College experience, maybe? Naw, I can do all that stuff and more by remaining a Sailor :icon_smil!