• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Package Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bull

Does anyone know what the breakdown they use to score the package?? To clarify...what percentage is the CO's recommendation, Personal statement, Prior College, ect? I have very recently turned in my package and on my last interview the chairman gave me Outstandings down the board, however the other three board members were hardly as kind (2 adequate). That really pissed me off. So if there is a place that shows how they score a package that would be very helpful. I just want a clearer picture of just how much everything is worth.

Ooooh!

I am going through the process myself. I do not believe you will find a document outside of the selection board which breaks down by number how each article in your package is weighed.

From the OPNAV and NAVADMIN I have gleaned that:

The CO recommendation is the single most important part.
Followed by the Officer Interviews

Candidates with substantial college credits receive preferential consideration (don't know how much though)

How does the rest of your package look besides the interviews?
How is your CO rec? Is it strong?

Bull

Sure did

Yup I have a strong package. The CO is ranking me 2 of 2, but also gave me outstanding down the board. I have over half the credits needed for my BA degree in Pro Air and I got an EP on my last Eval. However I don’t have any recommendations from past CO's and my SAT was 1190. So my package is strong just not golden.

Myself and others in my command received postcards from the Navy asking if we were interested in the STA-21 program. I thought this was ironic because we received them 10 days before the deadline (took me two months to get my package together). This postcard was brought up to my admin officer(chief) and she said that they are probably not getting enough applicants and will most likely extend the deadline just like they did with LDO.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
They better not extend the deadline. If they need more applicants that means a better chance of getting picked up. My package gets mailed out today. Now it's the long wait until October....I'm just worried about my PRT scores...since they changed the instruction, I had to submit the last three and one was a med waive because of shoulder surgery. I hope it doesn't count too much against me. Oh well, good luck to everyone!! What colleges did you choose?? Me= SUNY, Citadel, USC(carolina)....

Me

SAR522

Navywife,
Where did you get this information? From everything I've heard, STA-21 is very competitve. Last year out of 1,600 applications only 400 were selected. I hope what you are saying is true, because if that's the case I'm in.

KimberlyD

According to the NavAdmin, 1600 packages were put in, only 1,025 of those were board eligible, 358 of those packages had non-qualifying SAT/ACT scores, 67 more were submitted without any SAT/ACT scores. That leaves you with only 600 eligible packages, of those (according to the NavAdmin), quite a few had no CO endorsement or they were the subject of NJP. My husband got selected the first time up & we've been to RI, he's currently in the program & now that we're all over the wall, we can see this more clearly. Most people who didn't make it the first couple of times later found out that their package was incomplete, a couple people found out they didn't make it due to lack of a warfare pin & we've met quite a few people who would have made it but they screwed up & got into trouble between July & October. Unforunately, when we found these statistics, it made the toasting a little bit less but now that we're almost completely through, it's nice again! If you do get selected, remember to file a FAFSA b/c most all of the OC's qualify for PELL Grants (completely free, no payback money fr the gov't), our grant is $6,000/year & the school receives the money, the unit (NROTC) pays the school the tuition & then we get a check in the mail every October & every February for $3,000. Since you don't get SRB anymore, it's really nice! A couple of guys at the unit didn't believe they could get completely free money so they took student loans & now they have so much added debt that they're worried ab their security clearance so be careful of that. Good luck!

SAR522

That's great news for me, thanks. My package is 100% complete and if this is the case I should get selected my first time up as well. Thanks for all the good information.

Ooooh!

This is interesting info. My package was sent up missing a piece but the board had my command send a letter from the XO stating the missing item would be at STA-21 prior to the selection board.
STA-21 shows my packaged as received 7/6 but the individual items are not checked yet.

Navywife - what are the ages of the people your husband got selected with? I am worried the board will think me too old at 30 even though my CO requested an age waiver and stated I could fulfill requirements and be commissioned by 35.

Second question: How would you qualify for FAFSA if CNET is fronting $10,000 yearly and you still receive full pay and benny's? I am VERY interested in this part of your post. ;)

THanks!

KimberlyD

The oldest person in his group was 34 (he only needed 2 semesters) & my husband was one of the youngest (he turned 24 while there). As far as the items getting checked off, it drove us batty so finally he called CNET & they informed us that while everything was already received, they only mark things as received as they are reviewed for completeness (if that helps with that little piece of paranoia!). As far as the FAFSA data goes, no where on that FAFSA form does it request information ab scholarships received or other monies being paid on your behalf so if you check that you are only interested in grants, you'll most likely qualify for one. The first year we had 1 child & I wasn't working, he was an E5, he got $2,600 for his Pell Grant, this year we have 2 children & I still don't work, we're getting $5,100 on E6 pay. Also, any scholarships you qualify for will most likely be paid to you by the college, we didn't go the scholarship route (I'm really tired of filling out all the forms for him!) but we know a lot of people who did & they're living large. Unforunately, the most common ones (the Boorda scholarship & others given by NMCRS) are no longer available to STA-21 personnel b/c NMCRS has now caught on that college is completely paid for. Also, another thing we learned a little late, you'll get in state tuition wherever you are selected. We changed everything (cars, withholding, everything) to get the in state tuition (we were worried ab going over the $10K) but got here & had to sign a waiver to get the in state, cost us a lot of unecessary money! Good luck to all of you. A word of advice though, a lot of our peers are getting divorced, this program puts as much stress on your marriage as things like RDC or recruiting duty do so if you do get selected, remember that this is new & strange for your wife too & try not to get to charmed by the frat houses!

Ooooh!

Navywife - Thanks for the reply. I guess I should just relax until I confirm I've been selected.
Will definitely look into FAFSA. I have no wife or dependants so who knows what my impact will be.
I guess I won't expect to see any updates on the STA-21 website either.
Boy is this fun! :)
That's interesting that he made E-6, but not really unexpected. I am an E-6 now and I expect (if selected for STA-21) that my Chief's package while attending school will go directly into the garbage by the E-7 selection board.
Anyone confirm or deny this?

KimberlyD

I can deny it! 3 of the guys in my husband's NSI class got Chief (all Nukes) while we were there, 4 of the guys here at the NROTC unit have made it while in the program. A bunch of people were sitting around talking ab how it's all fine & well to take up an E6 slot but that none were going to try for E7 b/c they knew they would make it & it wouldn't be fair to people who are actually doing the jobs (I don't see the reasoning, it's more money now, better retirement later...). Anyhow, 4 of the guys actually went to the board & everything needed for E7 (a bunch didn't) & they all made it. The command wondered why the rest of their guys who were up for it didn't make it so they called around & found out they didn't even show up so now the command policy is that they have to test & do everything they can to promote to each level. So yes, you can definitely make E7 while in the program.

Ooooh!

Great news. Time to ask my Senior Chief to help me prepare for the Chief's boards.

Thanks for replying :D

haydog

Ooooh!,
I had kind of the same problem w/ my pack. My admin forgot to stamp 4 of my evals to be true, and they also put both copies of my astb score in my copy of the final package :icon_rage . I called up p-cola and they told me to have my admin fax and mail the stuff to them with a cover sheet that was signed by direction, the app site now says recieved for all my stuff and the notes have been removed so I am taking that as a good sign.

Ooooh!

That's the one thing that has me worried. Non-selection due to an admin error vice board decision. :icon_rage

My package said all "Received" then out of the blue three of my officer interviews went to "Not Received". I called up STA-21 and they simply replied "Oops, we must have made a mistake!" :eek:

This wait really stinks. The Army only has a month wait before they get an answer. I will have an ulcer by October 31st...I can feel it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.