• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 in USNR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatFarmer35

I just wanted to know if you could apply to STA-21 while you are in the Naval Reserve during college? Also, if I went into the Army on active duty for four years, and then went into the Naval Reserve and college at the same time, when applying to STA-21 would my Army career be weighed heavily during the selection process?

Thank you.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, you can apply to STA-21 while in the Naval Reserve. Had a girl while I was XO out in Bangor get picked up for a STA-21 slot. I'm not real sure of your reasons for actually planning to switch services, but any active duty time will be another factor in your favor for selection. Will it be "heavily" weighed? That I don't know. I haven't sat on a STA-21 board yet, so I can't really say.

PhatFarmer35

Thank you for replying.

I'm in Army DEP right now, and the college I want to go to after I'm done with the Army only has a USNR unit nearby, not USAR or ARNG which is why I ask. If I applied and was selected for STA-21 while I was a college student, would I still have to go though BOOST? Also, I know this is kind of a broad question, but is does STA-21 usually have a higher selection rate then people applying for BDCP? Or is it pretty much the same?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Selection rates vary greatly from year to year with STA-21. I don't believe that you would have to go through BOOST if you were currently in college but I wouldn't be able to say for certain. Two classes reported this week for NSI and BOOST. There seems to be a common link between the BOOST people. A long time since any full time college and a lack of physics and calc in the near past. The other NSI class seems to be all the nukes (real easy to spot with their pizza stains and MM,EM & ET thirds ;)). So, if you have physics and calc and currently at college I would doubt they send you to BOOST.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
From the STA 21 website:
To be eligible to apply to the STA-21 Commissioning Program,
a Sailor must:
Be serving on active duty in the U.S. Navy or Full Time Support (FTS), or Selected Reserve (SELRES), and Navy Reservists on active duty except for those on Active Duty for Training (ACDUTRA) to include Annual Training (AT) and initial Active Duty for Training (I-ACDUTRA). Individual Program Options may have additional requirements and specific restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.