• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 HELP

Frye Guy

Hey all,
I am aspiring to become a pilot. I am currently enlisted as an AT attatched to FRCNW. I have just discovered the board is only once a year and the deadline is approaching fast. Any help or advice would be EXTREMELY appreciated. CO's letters, personal letters, school recommendations, letters of recommendation, pointers, ANYTHING! Also any FA-18 / EA-18G pilots out there... I look up and see those bad boys screaming over me... my wife says I light up like a little kid every time. What's it like? As if I need any more motivation, but I'd love for someone to share their experiences with me. Thanks guys!

Go to the STA-21 website, and download the instruction: http://www.sta-21.navy.mil/

The instruction tells you exactly what you need in your application. There are some things that take time, including taking the ACT and getting your test results back, setting up interview boards, etc. Some of the other things aren't as time critical, like writing your personal statement, getting a CO recommendation, etc. Make a list and prioritize, and get to work quickly. Don't miss anything in your application, or you risk getting it thrown out. I starting in the March-April timeframe, and I got my package in the mail the day it was due. Close call, and I don't recommend letting it get down to the wire if you can help it. In my case I was at the mercy of other people. Good luck.

Frye Guy

Thanks for the advice. How many times did you put in before you got accepted? I hear they say consistent persistance is the main thing they are looking for when reviewing. I'm pretty sure I won't get selected this year, but I wanted to put in anyway, just to set myself up for next year. Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice. How many times did you put in before you got accepted? I hear they say consistent persistance is the main thing they are looking for when reviewing. I'm pretty sure I won't get selected this year, but I wanted to put in anyway, just to set myself up for next year. Thoughts?
You can and should put in until you get accepted or become too old. They have cut down on numbers accepted in recent years, so don't get discouraged if you don't make it. The board doesn't care if you have applied before, they are more interested if you are a good candidate. Get outstanding evaluations, and try to take every opportunity you can to display your leadership abilities. It also helps to display good academic ability through your ACT scores and good GPA in high school or college.