• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Help

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
Hi,
I am applying for STA-21. I am posting here for any tips, hints, or additional information anyone can give me. I have read through the STA-21 instructions throughly. I came in the Navy in 2005, I was division RCPO (not that it means anything anymore). I was top of my class in A school and was promoted early. I was then stationed on the USS Saipan, went mess cranking, and was FSA of the month two month in a row and earned a CO's LOC for job performance while cranking. I earned both my Air and Surface Warfare pins. I also was selected as USS Saipan Bluejacket Sailor of the Year (I recieved no award however because my command said E-3 and below don't get NAM's). I got an EP eval, and upon decommissioning made 3rd my first time up. After C school I went to HSC-22 and now serve as Line Shack Midnight Shift Supervisor of 4 airman. I also became a CDI (collateral duty inspector), I am the youngest CDI at my command. I am also one of few qualified 3rd qualified as ASDO (assistant squadron duty officer). I have a letter of recommendation from a High School Teacher, and a short one from a Congressman, I wrote a letter to my old CO, but never heard back. I took the SAT and scored very high, and will be taking the ASTB within a few weeks. Are there any other suggestions or recommendations anyone can give me please? Thanks in advance for all your help.

LoneSailor

Welcome, looks like you're doing what you need to do and doing it pretty well -- you'd definitely be competitive for STA-21 (imo). Browse around and do some search on the forums, there's tons of outstanding gouge here. Read the gouge and if you have any specific questions, feel free to post them up.

My advice to you would be to keep up the great work and do some college/clep while you can.

How far are you into your packet? If you don't mind me asking, what did you score on your SAT? If you don't feel comfortable about posting it here, you can private message me instead.

Good luck.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
If you can I would try to bust out calc or physics, if that's possible. I know that looks very good in a package.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
At this point, I would suggest two things:
1.) Get letters of recommendation from an O-4 or higher - esp. former COs. If you can get a higher ranking officer to write you a letter of recommendation, it will help. Letters of recommendation from CPOs get recognized, too.
2.) Get some college under your belt. If you do more now, it will reduce the amount of college the Navy will have to put you through during the program.
Best of luck to you! The sky is the limit.

P.S. SEARCH everywhere and anywhere throughout this website. I am convinced that had I not found this website, my STA-21 journey would have been much more tricky and uninformed. These Officers and Sailors have a TON of great advice, and a lot of lessons learned from past threads.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
#1: Start your personal statement now. Keep in mind that it's yours and yours alone. You can ask for help in proofreading and whatnot, but don't ask others to "help" you write it.

#2: Take some CLEP tests at you local navy college office. This is a very fast method to get some college under your belt without having to take an actual class or pay for the test (free at the navy Campus)

#3: DO study at least a little bit before the ASTB. Do a search here and you'll find oodles of information.

#4: Ask some officers that WON'T be sitting your board to come up with a couple questions that they would ask if they WERE going to sit it. Answer these questions in your mind as you would if you were in the interview. This will prepare you to think before you speak!!

Good Luck, and try and get your boards scheduled pretty soon. Time runs out pretty quick!!

EM1

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Everything that has been said so far can be found several times on other ECP messege boards in Airwarriors. You'll just know when it is the right year. From the comfort level you feel in interviews, to the pride you take in your completed personal statement. For me, this year I was almost confident to a fault about my package. You shouldn't have any problems getting LOR's being any kind of OY. Also, get the physical stuff out of the way. That seemed to hold the most people up this year. It is good for a year so get it done sometime around June. Lastly, as a pro at getting turned down in this program, if it doesn't go your way this year, apply every year until you are too old. This is the best deal in the Navy.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
If you can I would try to bust out calc or physics, if that's possible. I know that looks very good in a package.

This (as well as everything else on this thread so far) is really good gouge. Not only will having calc and/or physics knocked out make you look motivated as hell, it will make your life SO much easier when you eventually do get into STA-21.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Do a search and read all the previous posts on here. Lots of great gouge.

Work on your SAT/ACTs. Take some college classes not only to show that you are motivated but to show that you are capable at that level. Don't be afraid to let you COC and Career Counselor know of you intentions early and ask for help from your Chiefs and Os.

erelislt

Well, it sounds like you would be a strong candidate. What I would suggest is keep charging and start your package early. Once you start the process, many things will start falling in. Try taking at least couple college classes/CLEPS every single semester. I believe college credits are a big part of your package. Keep good GPA. Also, Officer interviews are the key, be prepared for them, but most importantly be honest, if you start BSing, they will see thru that and BS you back. Your personal statement is another big part. It should show NO weakness, or better yet NO doubt of what you want. No matter what you heard, show no weakness in your Personal Statement. Your PFA scores better be good as well.
If you do not make it first or even second time, don't give up! You will make when the time is right.
Hope this helps.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
Good gouge listed in thread. Keep your performance up, take some college classes (especially Calc. and Physics if possible), get your package started now, and be prepared to answer some personal questions on your boards. Search threads in this forum for some of the questions you may be looking at. Be ready to address any "weaknesses" in your package at the boards as well. Good luck, from your original post, it looks like you will be very competitive. Stay motivated and be persistent.

Licarias

I would suggest writing on paper your strong points and weak points. Find ways to make your weak points better or "offset" them. For instance if you do not have college experience, or did poorly in college get enrolled in some online classes. Even if its stuff like Psych 101, a class were you should get a 4.0, the board will see that you recognize your weak areas and are working to correct them. The same goes with PFA scores, if they were weak before, really bust your ass on the next one to show them you are working towards improving yourself.

k_smittay

Hi,
I am applying for STA-21.

It is a shame, I just transfered out of 22 a week ago. You should have come looking for me in the AVI shop and I would have given you a copy of the package. AW2 Lawrence is still there though, even though I do not know how much longer. Hook up with him, he will answer all your questions.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
SAT scores

Several people have asked for my SAT scores:
Critical Reading - 650
Math - 620
Writing - 600
Essay - 8

STA21pilot

Not sure how pro-active your command is, but remember that your package is YOUR package. Don't sit on it to wait for them to do something for you. Hopefully they'll want to help, but if they don't you still need to know all about the process for application.

Good Luck!

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I know I wasn't accepted as a primary last year but I did get alternate so I believe I have some type of support.

The STA-21 isn't all about scores and how good you look via SAT/ACT or even college. I had probably the worst scores for an application and still got selected. It was because of what I had done over the years and my ability to get good recommendations for that work. A lot of the package is either convincing people that your a great selectee or who you know.

I would have to agree with everyone that you should work on college, work on getting more involved in leadership in your command, and start making some officer friends. Also make sure to read the instruction word for word because the best way to not get selected is have your package jacked up. Don't wait until the last moment to get started!

Best luck you in your application